Blue Grass Melody substitute?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol'Dawg

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a suitable substitute for Blue Grass Melody that I used
smoked in the morning. Affordable Pipes went out business in about ~2008 and I can't find a close sustitute. I've tried all the drug store, MacBaren's Burley London, Scotty's blend, and the Lane Burley Light w/o a Bite and re-branded.

HELP!

Jim

When I finished off my last pound I went looking for it too Jim, never found it. Is Guy still alive? Maybe he can be found, there may be a source, he got it from somewhere....

Guy blended it himself and took the recipe with him.

I've got a little left I think...and as I think about it, it strikes me that a couple of John Patton's blends may present an improvement on Guy's designs. I'd have to dig into my Cave of Wonders stash to check...but I'll bet John's Virginia Squire comes close...next, Quad Virginia.

It also strikes me that Edwards had a clone to Bluegrass Melody. It might be 'Blue Ridge' - of which apparently McCranies also has a version.

Granted that no current blend can ever match the escalation that time creates in remembering your prior blend, hopefully you'll find something of equal worth to enjoy now.

Puff Daddy,

Many thanks! Thanks too for sending me there last pound and I really enjoyed it. I've looked and called for trying other people but never had any luck.

Several years ago Pipetongue sent me a sample for Uhle's 00 and I enjoyed it too. And I guessed it was Uhle's 00 was a basis to by Blue Grass Melody blend. I also guessed that Stokkebye Pressed Burley (PS-702) was re-branded by Uhle's 00.

I think too that I remembered used to PD smoked for Uhle's 00 as a favotite burley. My guess has to be if PD (or anyone) is the same as Uhl's 00 is the same as Stokkebye Pressed Burley. I doubt that Uhle's will divulge their "secret" brand of 00.

Thanks again,

Jim

There's a similarity in the tobacco used in Uhle's 00 and Bluegrass Melody, but they didn't taste the same to me, though it's clear that there is more to BM than just the plain white highland burley that Uhle's sells as their blend 00. The stokkebye pressed burley I've never tried or even heard of. May have to look for it.

Blackhorse,

Thanks too for your reply and thanks your suggestions!

Guy didn't reply any of my emails nor telephones for trying to help some info. I bought from lots of pipes, tobacco and accessories but didn't hear a peep from after he went closed.

Both of the shops of McCranies and Edwards didn't enjoy any of their burley blends. The McClelland tobaccos I had guessed were similar all there burleys. Of course all my guesses are wrong. :lol:

I'll try some Patton's blends and hopefully will post from tiltjlp some info too.

After you locate your Blue Grass Melody stash and when you refresh your blends. please let me later. Also, if your stash is more than you want some, I'll like to have
a purchase or trade of some BG Melody.

Many thanks,
Jim

PS-I had a bad fall in Jan. and hit my head and scrambled my brain. I can see, hear, read and seems perfect except I still have difficulty in talk and write. So please that if my writing seems is my syntax off, please explain for me again and I'll try another try.

Ol Dawg -

Your writing is fine for me. Puros Bran...him I can barely make out sometimes. lol

Anyways...send me your address...to my PM please. I'll return it to you once to be sure it came over correctly, then maybe get some stuff off to you in a bit.

Jim, hope you're going to be alright sir, take care of yourself there friend!

At least you have an excuse, I write like that on my better days 8)

Many thanks to PD, Blackhorse and all to other the best wishes! Though slowly, I'm still doing better each day. Not a sob story, but just to know that understand of any what I tries to write.

Jim

I can't always do something like this, but as I stumbled in awe through the tobacco storage area of my Cave of Wonders I happened upon an ancient chest. Now, what was my wife doing in there anyway? Ahem.

To the point...I found my long held container of Bluegrass in the Guy, what is it...Wallace? The Guy Wallace section. There was that, some Guy's Favorite, a little Trout something or other plus some odds and ends. I even found a couple slabs of Frogjunk Black...filed away incorrectly...it's now back in the Long Term Experimental Section.

Hold on, I'll get my slide rule out...there we go. Via the accuracy of Chinese electronics and my humble math skills...oh, you're gonna like this...it looks like I have very close to ten ounces to put into the dubious clutches of the USPS. So, what is that...5/8 pound. Not too shabby. That should keep you smiling for a few.

Always glad to help out a worthy bro. No need to rush on your end either. You can have the Audi shipped any time it's convenient. So, really, this is the one Will Smith actually drove in the Robot movie?

Puff Daddy":ngzq9ypx said:
I've been stockpiling Balkan Sobranie for my Aston Martin fund.
The one with pedals? They go for a good buck too.

Sincerely,

Bond...James Bond

I still like the submarine Lotus Esprit...and of course the new Aston Martin DBS V12 was pretty amazing.

Gotta admit, recently offered for a trifling $4.6 millions US, the old DB5 has more than nostalgia, machine guns and a smoke screen going for it. The fact that the DBS can drive circles around it notwithstanding.

As PD told me from 2010---

:lol!: I don't take bribes...... Actually, I might, I don't know. I think that was the first one Not a terribly important position I hold here, ya know?

I even tried to bribe PD for letting my drive my Kubota diesel with nydrostatic and 4 wheel drive. No... wouldn't even wanted PD to drive it.

Blackhorse,

This morning I'll check from JoeBob's Used Cars, Recycling and Cat Boarding Shop and find that he might have something very valuable for trade. It seem that JoeBob may still have the Porche that he accidently painted his porch. :fpalm:

Jim