Bob Runowski's blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what C&D blends were developed by Bob Runowski?

I also read some time ago that Bob had come up with something to replace ERR. I think it was a mixture of SWR and some other blend. Does anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks for the help

I don't know if Bob was behind it or not, but I believe C&D Safe Harbor is supposed to be an ERR match.

Dave_In_Philly":8vfpxi2q said:
I don't know if Bob was behind it or not, but I believe C&D Safe Harbor is supposed to be an ERR match.
He was, and it's a darned fine smoke. Underrated as there were issues with early batches.

Let's see: Big & Burley(My personal desert island), Morley's best, Three Friars, and I'm sure I'm missing some more. Tobaccoreviews has the creators for many C&D blends though.

I was fortunate enough to become an e-friend of Bob in his later years. He was a burley lover like I am and perhaps the nicest man I think I've ever encountered.

RIP Morleysson. You are missed. :(

Silly me. I just remembered Bob sent me a list shortly before his death.

Morley's Best
Haunted Bookshop
OJK
Americana
Easy Times
Riverboat Gambler
Safe harbor
BAyou Morning bulk (the flake was Craig's idea)
Epiphany
Junkyard Dawg
BAiley's Front Porch
Walter franklin
Home/Hills
Pegasus
Competition Blend (very close to the old ERRd, and in bulk)
Purple Cow w/ cigar leaf

Apparently there were a few more, but these were Bob's favorites.

Zanaspus":mawv4jti said:
Silly me. I just remembered Bob sent me a list shortly before his death.

Morley's Best
Haunted Bookshop
OJK
Americana
Easy Times
Riverboat Gambler
Safe harbor
BAyou Morning bulk (the flake was Craig's idea)
Epiphany
Junkyard Dawg
BAiley's Front Porch
Walter franklin
Home/Hills
Pegasus
Competition Blend (very close to the old ERRd, and in bulk)
Purple Cow w/ cigar leaf

Apparently there were a few more, but these were Bob's favorites.
I think he was also involved in the Burly Flake series.

By using the advanced search thing at the review site, the following dozen come up:

1 067: Bayou Morning
2 068: Epiphany
3 101: Morley's Best
4 107: Haunted Bookshop
5 108: Pegasus
6 109: Home from the Hills
7 115: Bailey's Front Porch
8 126: Old Joe Krantz
9 127: Americana
10 926: Snug Harbor
11 Bayou Morning Flake
12 Kajun Kake

So it seems to have added Snug Harbor and Kajun Kake.

mr lankton - welcome to BoB! I'm sure you will enjoy the time that you spend with us. Don't forget to check out the DIY and other threads. There's one in which professional makers post new pipes they've completed...Mark Tinsky for one. Very fine stuff. And in 30 days from your sign-on and after 30 posts you'll be eligible to play and spend all your hard earned at the Trading Post. Glad to have you with us.

- BH

I can't find the reference now, but I recall Billy Budd also being one of Bob's creations. Maybe it was something he told me at Morley's, or then again, maybe not.

DaveInP - the Burley Flake series were definitely more recent than the list posted. Bob was working on them along with a couple of mixtures about 2 years ago, and he enlisted us for sampling and input. When the series was issued, Bob had a number of tins and he gave me a few. I should have had him apply his signature to them.
Too bad you didn't join Morley's even a year ago. You would have gotten along with Bob and enjoyed each other.

hp
les

Carlos - I never knew Sailorman Jack, but I do hear nice tales about him. The NYC Pipe Club is working with RussO on several club blends: one of them is to be named after S Jack, and it has cigar leaf in it. I assume the Billy Budd reference was to the Melville tale.

hp
les

mlankton":wm7re0ek said:
pretty sure Billy Budd was a Tarler blend
I think you are right. Bob produced many wonderful blends but I think Craig was the blender behind Billy Budd.

Smokey

I haven't checked in a while, but when I last checked I noticed that the C&D website listed some blends as both Tarler and Runowski and TR would only list one or the other.