BOB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, December 9th marks the four year anniversary of Brothers of Briar. Members total 2079 at this time. ,,,,Scrolling through the member list I remember a lot of guys that posted regularly but we haven't heard from in a long time,,,some have passed on, some have taken a break dealing with lifes ups and downs, a few got pissed for whatever reason, and some we lost track of after they moved or started a new job.
Members come and members go, and the reasons aren't important, everybody that rolls through here has learned something and has had something to contribute whether pipe/tobacco related, observations/opinions on the world, or sharing bits of their life with us. There's been some tense moments in the rubber room that emphasized to me that lively discussions are best carried out face to face over a cold beer or two. Somehow the written word is lacking and sometimes it's difficult to put into words what you want to inflict,,,uhhh,,,I mean point out. All in all it works itself out in the end. We've got quite a few members that have been here since day one,,,the guys that created the board and set the tone and attitude that make this a comfortable place to be. Kinda like "light your pipe, have a drink, have you tried this tobacco yet" atmosphere that other boards can't achieve. Overall the members that pass through are interesting, the ones that stick around have made this their home. So I guess what I want to say after all this rambling is after four years of being in existence BoB has been a learning experience and great success in many ways. Thanks to the guys that started it, and to all who contribute in whatever way, whether you're passing through or get real comfortable and decide to stay a while. Now hand me a beer and we'll discuss putting olive oil on your vulcanite stem,,, :p

Fantastic post. Thanks for that, a nice uplifting thought to close out an otherwise tedious monday, and a fine example of the type of thing that keeps me coming back.

Very well said Mark. BoB is indeed heading into it's fourth year. It has been extremely rewarding to be involved with over the years. More so than I would have imagined. It's also been trying at times as problems arise. I suppose if you get so much enjoyment out of something you risk emotional turmoil when things aren't going well. I've been introduced to some of the finest gentlemen I have ever encountered here and have learned a lot of lessons from them. Both in pipe smoking and being a man.

Excellent post and personal thoughts Mark.

I've spent time in the past contemplating what makes BoB the best forum on the internet. The forum I must check in with daily. The answer is not how user friendly it is, or how much valuable information is to be obtained. The answer is, it's the members, and most of them have a heart of gold, regardless of their political or religious views.

Sure, the rubber room has it's scuffles. However, that is one of the things that makes this country so great. That a man can speak his convictions, no matter how outrageous they may be, without having to worry about being drawn and quartered on the courthouse square.

Most of the brave men and women who risk their lives for freedom, will tell you that they do so, so that everyone may speak their opinions freely.

Yes, BoB has become my permanent residence on the net, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Many thanks to the entire leadership and moderators, who have selflessly given their personal time and taken time away from their families and livelihoods, in order to build BoB into the home it has become for so many of us! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Im fairly new here . May I say I have spent quite alot of time here in a short time. Ive had a little time on my hands, alittle more than usuall. My wife has had a few health issues. and I have a hadicapped daughter. so with my help down I have to pick up on things needed done around the house. Anyway. I enjoy my pipes and I enjoy interacting with others of the same passion. I think Ive found a little corner in life here to sit back, light up and look for a friend to talk pipe smoking.

I'm just glad BoB is here. I use it to my benefit, and try and contribute where I can. A community is but its members, and if I lose interest in this in six months or I'm here four years down the road, thank you to those who have made it what it is! 8)

Hard to believe it's only been four years! Seems like it's been around a lot longer. I guess internet time passes at a different pace. When Harlock said his one year anniversary was just a month-or- so ago I was shocked. Feels like I've known everyone here for years!!

Ahhh, who can forget the days of olive oil and tobacco ratings systems? 8)

Very thoughtful and awesome of you to point that out, Mark. This really is the best board I've ever seen across the whole internet, it really is a cozy place to pop in after a day, be it good, bad or otherwise. I have fond memories of my short time here! When I took up the pipe I knew not a single soul who smoked who might be able to teach me and show me the ropes. before too long I found my way here and I'm proud to call some of the chaps here mentors, some are even in this thread! But you know the best part about it all? It's not just one person, it's not two or three people; it's everyone. Every last kindred soul out on this board make it the great place it is, here's to many more years!

Great post Mark, and while I've only been here a short time compared to some of you I've felt right at home from the get-go.

The members have been very helpful, generous with advice and knowledge, and accepting of those with less miles under their belt if you get the drift.

Also enjoy the laid back attitude here. No trolls, no attitude, no BS. My kind of place.

Thanks to all at BoB for creating and maintaining a site like this. Long may it continue!

:cyclops:

Cheers,

RR

MisterE":oqxth3hd said:
Hard to believe it's only been four years! Seems like it's been around a lot longer. I guess internet time passes at a different pace. When Harlock said his one year anniversary was just a month-or- so ago I was shocked. Feels like I've known everyone here for years!!

Ahhh, who can forget the days of olive oil and tobacco ratings systems? 8)
Yes! I had forgotten all about the tobacco ratings system...what do you guys think? Should we...?
Ahh, forget it. It'll never work. :scratch: What was it? Garbage in garbage out? Good times! :p

Oh, and good stuff Mark!

We should all light up at the exact time on Dec 9. What's a good time?