BoB's online presence

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
The other day I was looking on Briar Report for any online resources that I didn't know about or had forgotten. I noticed that Brothers of Briar was not listed among the various blog sites and forums. Out of curiosity I did a few Google searches on "pipe smokers forum" "pipe smoking online discussion" scrolling down 2 or 3 pages on each and was surprised that the good Brothers could not be found!

I don't remember how I first discovered BoB but it would be a shame if we couldn't attract more new members just because they don't know about us. Did I somehow stumble through the backdoor into some exclusive club?

Any internet savvy members here know if anything can be done about this?

I remember finding it on Google, don't remember if I had to scroll a few pages or not though. I remember hearing them mention it on The Country Squire podcast once. But yes it doesn't seem to pop up on Google.

Not a clue. Sometimes there is a new online presence copying our forum and the posts. Other times a search will turn up hundreds links. Then there is today and I searched a term and we were on page 7 for Google.

The Brothers of the Briar started around 15 years ago as part of a web site for a pipe/cigar business whose name escapes me for the moment. The business folded and the board was moved to this web site. People have come and gone but there are a few people who, for what ever the reason, have stuck around. Some of them are responsible for maintaining the site and others just show up every now and then to make a point.

If  I remember  right it when I joined it was called....Knox...After a smoke shop in Knoxville Tennessee

Yes, you are correct. Knox was the name.
LL and Carlos were there also.
It looks like when Knox folded the BOB stated in 12/2007.

The Knoxville Cigar Company.  In the old town section of Knoxville, TN.  The source of Tavern Tobaccos.  They hosted a forum with a chatroom.  You never knew who you might find in the chat.  Any number of pipemakers, and pipe smokers, at any time of day.  

It was a unique time.  Glad I was there for it.  Times change.

The online presence can be boosted.  There are Admin tools that can be used to boost us up the search results.  I went looking and found some.  Do not know when they were added.  It looks like it could be time intensive.  I really thought this was being done by the search engines themselves, crawling all over websites.  I suspect the advertising penny is so important today, that search results are being manipulated.

Carlos":sg5bjaac said:
 I suspect the advertising penny is so important today, that search results are being manipulated.
You're likely correct; when I found/joined, there were still ads in the banner, and this was one of the first sites I found (if I remember correctly after so long)

Thanks for the background guys. I guess moving forward all we can do is tell other pipers about the forum. I know some members are active in multiple forums but personally I only have time to follow and participate in one. BoB seems the best fit for me, and maybe it would be so for others who find it. I like the way the topics are organized, and I like the mix of personalities here. I especially appreciate the even-handed moderators, Blackhorse and Brewdude, who keep things moving along smoothly. :cheers:

And before the KnoxCigar board, we were on the JRCigar board site!! Some of us are truly ancient ones!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

You know, I kind of like it like it is. If it gets too big it'll become more impersonal.

For me the BoB is a little quiet, safe corner of the inter-web where I can escape to be amongst like minded chaps (and occasional chapette) where one can engage in gentlemanly discourse on everything from a favourite blend to Swiss Army Knives and a favourite book. I like the feeling of checking in and recognising all the familiar faces (so to speak), knowing their interests and a bit about their lives. Some chaps check out for a while, sometimes months or even years at a time, and then turn up again when you least expect them - and it's always good to see them - and the occasional new member keeps things fresh.

Stick":v01jm9ae said:
You know, I kind of like it like it is.  If it gets too big it'll become more impersonal.  

For me the BoB is a little quiet, safe corner of the inter-web where I can escape to be amongst like minded chaps (and occasional chapette) where one can engage in gentlemanly discourse on everything from a favourite blend to Swiss Army Knives and a favourite book.  I like the feeling of checking in and recognising all the familiar faces (so to speak), knowing their interests and a bit about their lives.  Some chaps check out for a while, sometimes months or even years at a time, and then turn up again when you least expect them - and it's always good to see them -  and the occasional new member keeps things fresh.

Well said, I agree I like the smaller community. I also like that it is an actual pipe smoking forum, all the ones I've been on in the past were just a small corner of a cigar forum.

Yeap I joined up at the Knox board. I learned a lot there and chatted some awesome guys there. I kinda miss the chat room there. I have used the chat here but it’s hard to fin anyone in there.

After that we went to smokers haven. I still have and smoke regularly the 2004 smokers haven bent meer.

And then we ended up here. Not completing at all it's a great site with great members.

I think I still have a couple of old Tavern Tobacco tins. Laurel Flake and tobacco road are the ones I remember in my stash.

Definitely a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

Nothing kills a board faster than a comment carpet bomber, and some are guaranteed to show up with a higher site profile.

That said, the #2 cause of board death is the slow-drift-away-gradual-flatline which happens when a group is small enough it doesn't need to communicate to know what the others already think about something, so they stop talking.

It's a tightrope for sure.

ftrplt":b2tyxpmu said:
And before the KnoxCigar board, we were on the JRCigar board site!! Some of us are truly ancient ones!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I missed that one. But there were others. alt.smokers.pipes and Sailorman Jack with his "Morning Watch". Had to use a newsreader to get to those usenet groups. Some regional forums. Tri-state pipe forum. Smokers Haven.

For a time I joined about all I became familiar with. But I just do not have the time.

I came across this forum when duck duck going some pipe related info. The people here seemed saner than on other pipe forums so I lurked for a while then joined up. I appreciate that BoB is smaller and friendlier, it feels like a virtual smoking parlour to me with knowledgable banter about many different topics.

Cheers

Tim

BoB has become the only pipe forums I regularly read anymore. I find the vibe here is mostly friendly and casual. I like the fact the it is moderated well and hot button topics get sent to the rubber room. It seems more laid back than most forums these days. I guess I need to participate more to help keep it alive.