Bog Oak Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more of these pipes. From the descriptions I've read they sound great but has anyone tried them?

Larry over at the Pipe & Pint in Greensboro, NC is a Talbert dealer and usually carries a few of Talberts Bog Oak pipes. Most of them that I have looked at are very small but interesting to say the least. some of the guys that come into Larry's place say they smoke very well. Larry has a website that features several of Talbert's Bog Oaks. Talbert calls them Morta.

http://www.thepipeandpint.com/talbert_morta.html

I have one of the Talbert Morta pipes in my rotation. It really makes the VA tobacco sing.... It is also a workhorse of a pipe. I can smoke any number of bowls through it no problems at all.

I will post a photo tonight.

Hi Guys,

With regards to Bog Oak Morta briar pipes, I have recently had the pleasure of purchasing a Tom Richards Morta Briar at a recent NY Pipe Club Show. I have been really enjoying the pipe. It is a wonderful latakia smoker. That pipe is as light a a feather and smokes so dry. Tom has done a wonderful job on the shape as well. That is what really attracted me to the pipe, besided, of course my curiosity regarding the material.

This was my first foray into bog oak as I was hesitant for some time to give such a pipe a chance. I have had some very informative conversations about this material with Sam Barnett of our club. It was at his suggestion that I give it a try and I am so glad that I did. I thank Premal Chedda of Smokers Haven for providing me with the opportunity to be exposed to such a pipe. He had brought a few of Tom's pipes at a past NY Show. If it were not for him, I would not have had the opportunity to see Tom's pipes up close. That is one of the beauties of attending a show.

I get so many compliments and queries about this pipe. When people hear that it is made from ancient bog oak they are amazed. One of these days I would love to add a Trever Talbert Morta pipe to my collection.

I highly recommend you trying one of these pipes and take a chance on it like I did.

Lou, NY

I have a Talbert morta that smokes wonderfully. It seems to add a cool, mineral taste to Latakia blends. Plus, the fact that it doesn't need much rest is a big bonus.

IMG_5748.jpg

mdmiller5":op2nvrvh said:
Beautiful looking pipe Nina. I always wondered if one of those pipes left a mark on a blend. Much like a cherrywood leaves a tell tale taste on English blends.
I'll say! That is an awesome looking pipe!