BOG OAK

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Tom Richard has some interesting pipes in bog oak. Anyone have a bog oak pipe, or know how they smoke in relation to briar? Any advantages, or disadvantages ? Weight, porosity, stability,heat dispersion, or durability issues?

I have never owned one but they say they are outstanding smokers. There is a shop about an hour form here, Pipe & Pint in Greensboro, NC that features Trever Talbert's Bog Oak pipes that he calls Mortas. They don't really appeal to me for two reasons. One, they have a tendency to be small and two, very expensive. Here is the link to the Pipe & Pint. http://www.thepipeandpint.com/talbert_morta.html

Here is the link to Trevor Talbert's own website. http://www.talbertpipes.com/

I had a bog oak pipe once that I sent back because it tasted like burned rubber.

Morta pipes tend to be a shade heavier, and seeme to favor English blends. Also, as noted above, the tend to be on the smaller side as the blocks tend to crack as they dry out. They smoke very dry and cool, but the wood seemed to get hotter than briar to me. The grain is fascinating to look at, and they blast really cool. Very uniform in their graining. The smooths don't shine up as much as briar does. More of a matte finish. I've never noticed any burnt rubber or any other noxious taste to them, but the flavor is definately different than briar. More akin to clay or meerschaum. It has the same mineral undertones, IMHO. All in all, great smokes.

Just my two cents.

Neat! I never knew Radice worked with bog oak! Big honkin pipe too.

I too have seen the Morta pipes at The Pipe and Pint and concur with Justpipes in his objections to them. Nonetheless, should the felicitous combination of a pipe that's at least a group 3 and a wad in my pocket, I would bite.

The pipes I've seen are group 1s and 2s.