Bone Dry!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
If your tobacco dries out to the point where it crunches when you crumble it, does the tobacco loose most of it's flavor? I would assume so. I was going to smoke some EGR today, but when I opened the mason jar it's stored in, the tobacco was uncommonly dry! Now, I don't mind smoking a bit dry tobacco, but this was really dry! I don't know why it would dry out this much in just a couple of weeks. Maybe the mason jar lid was not as tight as it should be. I just don't know. Now I'm going to check all my other mason jars to make sure the lids are on tight. I'm confused about this one! :scratch:

It happens!! I opened a jar of Margate yesterday; a bit too dry for me. I just put in a cap full of distilled water, shook up the tobacco, and will let it sit for a week or so. The 'baccy will soak up the water. The amount of water depends on howmuch tobacco you're trying to rehydrate. Small amounts are better than drowning it!! I have also "steamed" tobacco for a short time to rehydrate as well as soaking a few paper towels in water, placing in an open plastic baggie, and placing the baggie in the jar containing the dry tobacco. All three have worked for me over the years. FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Lay out the tobacco in a wide, shallow plastic container.

Get a paper towel wet and wring out.

Lay the wet paper towel over the container opening and replace the lid.

Check in 24 hours.

Repeat until you have achieved desired humidity.

Shouldn’t take more than 1-3 treatments.

Todd

To put it simply, when it gets that dry, it ain't good. However, it's also worth reconstituting and giving it a smoke. It's sort of like leather. You don't want it to ever get so dry it cracks, but you can carefully recondition it and bring some life back to it. It'll never be has hardy as it once was, but why not?

taharris":pqmkjgu5 said:
Lay out the tobacco in a wide, shallow plastic container.  

Get a paper towel wet and wring out.

Lay the wet paper towel over the container opening and replace the lid.

Check in 24 hours.

Repeat until you have achieved desired humidity.

Shouldn’t take more than 1-3 treatments.

Todd
I appreciate the tip!
Thank you.