Book suggestions on Pipes/tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLogo-Mat

Reaction score
Looking for something good to read.
Are there "holy grails" for the following topics:
Pipes in general:
Pipe tobacco in general:
Pipe smoking in general:

Thanks in advance!

If you want to start a tobacciana library, I recommend the following, as a minimum:

Ehwa, The Book of Pipes and Tobacco
Weber, The Pleasures of the Pipe and Weber's Guide to Pipes and Tobaccos
Dunhill, A.,  The Pipe Book
Dunhill, A. H., The Gentle Art of Smoking
Hermet, The Pipe
Liebaert and Maya, The Illustrated History of the Pipe
Lopes, Pipes, Artisans and Trademarks
Dunn, The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, Books I & II

There are others, including My Lady Nicotine, but these are the minimum I'd recommend.  A lot are available as ebooks these days.

You can find used copies fairly cheap of the books listed above.

Richard Carleton Hacker has a series of pipe books, they are a little dated, but still very good.
https://www.amazon.com/Pipesmoking-Century-Richard-Carleton-Hacker/dp/0931253152

Rick Newcombe comes off as a little haughty, but his books are also very good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966623916/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0931253152&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=8B8EBFMFK467BNC835ZQ

I have an extra copy each of, both hardcover:
Alfred Dunhills "The Pipe Book" (with plastic dust jacket cover"
Hackers "The Ultimate Pipe Book" (dust cover)
$20 each plus shipping if you are interested. (I think that is what I paid)

Very tempting- let me shop around a little & check out our library first.
Thanks Riff Raff!

Tobacco by Iain Gately is a great read, a little biased towards tobacco but in this day and age, that's a good thing in my opinion. Thanks to whomever bombed me with it. I also second the RC Hacker and Rick Newcombe books too, great reads too.

Cheers

Tim

The Perfect Smoke, by Fred Hanna.
Searching for Pipe Dreams and Still Searching for Pipe Dreams by Rick Newcombe

These are written specifically about pipes, tobacco, the interplay between the two, and what fuels the hobby.

Mill River Smoke by Marc Munroe Dion is a collection of short fiction stories featuring a pipe-smoking reporter which are as much about the main character and his pipes/tobacco as it is the plots, themselves (if you subscribe to Pipes and Tobacco Magazine or The Pipe Collector you've probably run across some of his work, already).

I would recommend this one: The Perfect Smoke, by Fred Hanna. I find myself going back to it over and over. Great resource for many a topic.

Terry292":efdqe1u3 said:
If you want to start a tobacciana library, I recommend the following, as a minimum:

Ehwa, The Book of Pipes and Tobacco
Weber, The Pleasures of the Pipe and Weber's Guide to Pipes and Tobaccos
Dunhill, A.,  The Pipe Book
Dunhill, A. H., The Gentle Art of Smoking
Hermet, The Pipe
Liebaert and Maya, The Illustrated History of the Pipe
Lopes, Pipes, Artisans and Trademarks
Dunn, The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris, Books I & II

There are others, including My Lady Nicotine, but these are the minimum I'd recommend.  A lot are available as ebooks these days.
Good list. Get the Ehwa at a minimum. I believe Mr. Ehwa was Mary McNeil's (of McClelland Tobacco) husband at one time. One of my other favorites is The Pleasure of Pipe Smoking, I think it's called. It's an old hodge-podge of pipe related stories, poems, anecdotes, and articles. The Ehwa is more bolts and nuts, so to speak.