Bose

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

RSteve

Reaction score
I had never purchased any Bose audio equipment in my life and I've purchased far too much audio gear. In my kitchen I have a 28" Samsung HDTV with a 28" Vizio soundbar attached. About a week ago (maybe longer) at Goodwill, I bought a Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III Subwoofer for $8.00. It's passive, no amplifier. The soundbar has a sub out port. I connected that to a 20 watt Lepai amplifier I had collecting dust. I connected the amplifier to the Acoustimass 5 Series III sub. To my old ears, that Bose sub shoots out the bass. The amp is 20 watts RMS and I can barely turn up the volume knob without shaking the cabinet everything sits on. I believe the sub houses two small woofers. I'd guess the sub is at least 20 years old. I think I got my 8-bucks worth of bass.

Timbo

Reaction score
We had the full acoustimass system when I was groowing up, maybe a series 1. My goodness the treble speakers were tiny, four little paired cubed speakers about four inches square, but the sound they made when paired with the sub was tremendous. Absolutely sharp and precise, I wish I still had them today. Dunno what happened to them, My brother and I are suspecting our other brother pilfered them and sold them for cash at some point as our father has no recollection of them being given away and neither of us took them. Gotta love the black sheep in the family... NOT.

bose acoustimass 5 series 1.jpg

And a good score Steve you lucky bugger.

RSteve

Reaction score
The sub is this model:

I'm sure the sound engineers at Bose have the cabinet size and port diameter acoustically computed for maximum bass or I'd put the guts into a significantly smaller cabinet.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
For $8, I'll say (almost) nothing. I always thought Bose and Adcom left a lot to be desired. More marketing than R&D with superior results. I'd rather pay a company for quality product than for their advertising budget.

RSteve

Reaction score
I had never purchased any Bose audio equipment in my life and I've purchased far too much audio gear.
I always thought Bose and Adcom left a lot to be desired. More marketing than R&D with superior results. I'd rather pay a company for quality product than for their advertising budget.
I've also always felt that Bose was grossly overpriced, but figured I had nothing to lose for $8.00. I've now opened the cabinet and checked the cones and surrounds, which are in good shape. Both are 4 ohms, wired in series. The crossover is functioning properly as there's no high frequency bleed through.

RSteve

Reaction score
About a week ago (maybe longer) at Goodwill, I bought a Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III Subwoofer for $8.00. It's passive, no amplifier. I connected it to a 20 watt Lepai amplifier I had collecting dust...
Interesting development today. I removed the Bose subwoofer from the kitchen, deciding to move it to the living room. In the kitchen it was attached to two smallish Pioneer speakers. The combination of the Bose sub, Vizio soundbar, Pioneer speakers was excellent, but I rarely use the kitchen TV, so it would sit, basically, unused.

I moved it to the living room, where there's a 50" 4k TV, 32" Vizio soundbar, Lepai 200 watt amplifier, and Jamo E800 speakers. I got everything all wired, tucked away and taped a lot of wiring. I powered everything up and it sounded terrible. I'd heard that Bose engineers deliberately made their passive subwoofers incompatible with most non-Bose speakers. The sub worked great with the small Pioneer speakers and 20 watt amp in the kitchen, but with the 200 watt amplifier and Jamo speakers, not very well at all.

The $8-buck sub is back in the kitchen.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Some of those Bose speakers came with equalizers/pre-amps/amps/something or other that were necessary to properly run them. They had a funny name for them. Cube? I can't remember right now. Another hooky gimmick they had. Not sure if it applies to that sub or not.

RSteve

Reaction score
Some of those Bose speakers came with equalizers/pre-amps/amps/something or other that were necessary to properly run them. They had a funny name for them. Cube? I can't remember right now. Another hooky gimmick they had. Not sure if it applies to that sub or not.
Yes, the Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III Subwoofer was designed to be wired to the "Cube" speakers that came with the sub. It does work very well with the Pioneer bookshelf speakers I have in the kitchen, but not so with the Jamo speakers.

RSteve

Reaction score
Yesterday, I wired a Goldwood GW-S650/4 6-1/2" 4 Ohm Poly Cone Woofer into a decorative, rosemaled wood carry case that I bought at Goodwill for $4.00, then, with a hole saw, cut a hole for the woofer in the rear of the carry case. From the Vizio soundbar, sub out port, I connected a Nobsound NS-03G 100W Mini Sub Power Amplifier and connected that to the Goldwood woofer. I cannot believe the bass response I'm getting, with no higher frequency bleed through.
I did try wiring the Bose directly to the Nobsound NS-03G 100W Mini Sub Power Amplifier but it's a mono amp.
I tried wiring in both series and parallel according to the directions in this How to Wiki but the sound I got was awful.
The Nobsound amplifier does require this Nobsound DC [email protected] 150W Power Supply Adapter, AC100~240V Power Brick for Amplifier.
And, yes...LOL, except for the rosemaled carry case, I had the rest of the components lying around the house salvaged from other goofy audio projects that entertained me for a while.

Last edited: