Bose

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice collection. mine:

Rotel RC-990BX pre-amp
Hafler 9270 amp
Project turntable
Ortofon moving coil cartridge (can't remember the model off hand)
Paradigm 9SE speakers (original, first series production)
Magnavox CDB 473 CD player (Philips chassis from the 1980s

all connected to the computer via a digital out of the PC tower. I rarely listen to hard media anymore. 99.5% FLACs.

I am going to be forever copying my record collection over to FLAC. It's not something I do every day or even weekly/monthly. But I do need to get back to it.

I love all that audio gear and had a lot, much of it professional studio quality. But neither of my daughters would have wanted any of it because of size and some complexity. Last year, I got rid of almost everything as I'm downsizing everything I own. Now, I just enjoy playing around with what I once considered crap. And, of course, at this age, my hearing is so bad that if it weren't for the fragrance I wouldn't know if I'd broken wind

Why is Zeno's post listing his system blurry?
Rotel RC-990BX pre-amp

Hafler 9270 amp
Project turntable

all connected to the computer via a digital out of the PC tower. I rarely listen to hard media anymore. 99.5% FLACs.

I'm using Tannoys. Favorite speakers I've owned. Probably my last speakers. Unless I just get too curious about Maggies or open-baffles or something.

Why is Zeno's post listing his system blurry?
Rotel RC-990BX pre-amp

Hafler 9270 amp
Project turntable

That is odd. That it's blurry, I mean. Not the system. :)

I remember that first line of Paradigms.

I think I may have figured it out. When you surround the post with and everything in the post is blurred out.

Hit reply and it all becomes clear.

I think I may have figured it out. When you surround the post with and everything in the post is blurred out.

Hit reply and it all becomes clear.
Interesting. I've never seen spoiler text that blurs things out.

I am going to be forever copying my record collection over to FLAC. It's not something I do every day or even weekly/monthly. But I do need to get back to it.
I've threatened to do that myself, but I wanted to do it right or not at all. I don't have the gear for that right now. It's also made almost unnecessary because other people with far better systems and real know-how have been busy doing it. Thank goodness they like to share. Not everything I want is out there, but most of it is.

ps-I put my setup in spoiler mode as to not derail the thread too much. Sorry, folks.

Last edited:
So, here's the final on the empty Bose acoustimass subwoofer box. I mounted two 5" Pioneer speakers inside the box near the open port. I bought ($3.99 @ Goodwill) a two-way Sony speaker, then removed the 5" woofer and attached it to the inside floor of the box, then on each side of the box, I exterior mounted a 6.25" Kenwood triaxial speaker. The back of the box had input and output terminals, which I converted to four amplifier input terminals, one for each full range speaker. I wired each speaker to a separate terminal. For the woofer I drilled a hole through the top of the box to wire to a separate Nobsound mono amplifier. The four other speakers were wired to a Lepai 4-channel, 45 watts per channel amplifier.
The amplifiers are stacked and mounted on top of the box. Streaming Pandora or Spotify, it sounds pretty decent. All the speakers are 4 ohms.

Up until 15 years ago I had 2 Klipsch studio quality speakers mated to a Marantz receiver and a top of the line Pioneer turntable. Had a decent collection of studio quality vinyl. Just got tired of moving them around. Now, I mostly listen to Pandora through a set of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers. Given that my hearing is kind of shot sounds goid enough to me, lol.