Boswell Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amystika

Reaction score
So I discovered that about half an hours drive from me is a local tobacconist, The Boswells.

I did some extensive research on their tobacco, finding that their tobacco's are easy on the palatte, with tons of great reviews as well, so today I took a drive down there to pick up an ounce of a couple flavors.

Upon getting there i noticed the shop had a nice friendly environment and they were more than happy to assist me in my search for some blends.

I settled on 4.

Boswells Best = blend of Cavendish, string cut Virginia and black vanilla Cavendish
No Bite Delite = sort of caramel taste
Berry Cobler - just as it says
Peaches 'n' cream - just as it says

So today i was able to enjoy a bowl of the Boswells Best, and the No Bite Delite. After each smoke it almost seems as if my mouth somehow feels better. They were both a very enjoyable blend easy on the mouth, great tasting, great burning, all around great smoking blends.

My friend that came with me brought his pipe to try a couple, which were the berry cobler and the peaches 'n' cream, the only comment i can make on the two is the astonishingly real aroma that came with both as well as how many times i heard him comment on how good the taste was.

I'll definitely be making more stops down to Boswell.

I think you find quite a few brothers swear by their pipes as well. just as I found out I am close to Iwan Ries here in Chicago, enjoy the fact that you are close to such a great resource. Not to be too political, but all the rules in place make it very hard to be in a business that supplies our pastime, be it dealing with ever-rising tobacco taxes, or those who use pipes for the other kind of smokable leaf who make carrying a pipe a liability (yes officer, it is a pipe, i smoke tobacco, sir. yes, really. yes sir, like sherlock holmes, sir. no sir you may not search my car sir. the K-9 unit won't change anything, sir.)

anyway, sorry about the tangent, but boswells do a great job. visit often make friends and have fun.

Sounds like you are on your way ! Take your time, smoke all of what you have before you go off to try something different. LEARN how these tobaccos and your pipes smoke, more importantly, learn HOW to smoke these which sounds like you are on your way to doing. If you get a pleasurable, bite free complete bowl full smoke, you are doing it RIGHT :p Try to rfrain from doing the "pinball" way of going from type to type of tobacco as is very easy to do when you are starting out. ( and in today's world where there is so much MORE available to a new smoker than used to be) Just remember. this is, or can be, a lifelong pleasure so you have a lifetime to try all the goodies out there :p

I own a couple pipes made by JM, and they are fantastic smokers with a wide open draw. As far as tobacco goes, I have only had their Northwoods blend, which I really enjoyed. It was a nicely sweetened English, great flavor yet very mild in strength.

I own a Boswell pipe and must say it is a very good smoker. Some don't like their looks (admittedly some of them look like they were made in a high school woodworking class) but I haven't read anything bad about their smoking qualities.

I'm not one who likes aromatics...the only one I keep on hand is Berry Cobbler. It's not overdone and is a very pleasant smoke....I don't smoke it often, but if the mood strikes for something candy-like its the only aromatic I've ever liked at all if that means anything. I think I'm gonna put in an order for their Northwoods since it seems to be a well liked blend here.

Boswells aromatics are the best there is. While I live about 2 hours from them, one or two of my pipesmoking friends and I take a trip to their store every autumn.

Aside from simply having good blends, they have an outstanding selection of other tobacco names such as Gawith and McClelland. They also have a very welcoming way. They'll brew you some coffee, let you dip into the tobacco jars as much as you please, and the 2 story building has great atmosphere and plenty of lounge area.

If you're an anti-aromatic flag waver, but you're a latakia fiend, then I can still recommend a few blends, Northwoods chief among them. I believe almost everything else is at least a semi-aro. Even their premium burly has something in there I think.

I own 3 Boswell pipes myself, and I can wholly recommend JM for his quality craftsmanship...as well as his reasonable pricing. My first was a large partially rusticated plateau topped freehand, followed by a small rusticated bulldog, and this past autumn I picked up a medium sized sitter.

This coming autumn I may just splurge for one of his ridiculous "takes 6 hours to smoke a bowl and will break your jaw trying to clench it" pipes... :lol:

...if you don't know what I mean then visit Boswells website and check out the photo gallery! :shock:

This weekend we brought the little man up to NY for the first time to spend the holiday with my mother in law and my wifes side of the family. So I brought some Hunters Choice with me to keep the crowds happy. Haven't tried it yet though. So far I've only tried Northwoods and their VA Slices. Both are definately worth smoking.

Boswell pipes and tobaccos have been favorites of mine for many years. The first blend of theirs I tried waa PA Dutch Treat, the best cherry blend I have ever tried. Next came No Bite Delite, a caramel/chocolate delight blended by Dan Boswell. Then I tried some of their English blends: Mild English, Magnum Blend, and Northwoods. All were just as good as their aromatics. I've tried their Raspberry Cream, Chocolate Cream, and Boswell's Best and all were 4 star tobaccos. I've owned 3 of their pipes and they all were superb smokers with dead-on drilling. I would rate the Boswells as one of the premiere B&Ms in this country.

Smokey

I've got half a pound of Boswells at home at the moment, split between Dutch treat, Chocolate Creme, and Berry Cobbler.

I live 25 minutes South in Hagerstown, MD. I like their mild English blends: Magnum & Countryside. We do a get-together every so often, to meet forum members (and a few other forums). Stay tuned for the next one, typically on a Saturday.

You guys know how to make me feel like an idiot for spending $150 at Cabela's instead of Boswells :p That being said I liked his Christmas cookie, boswell's best and Pa dutch treat. This year when I make the trip I will be going there instead!

Im a huge fan of Boswells, I now own 4 Boswell pipes and have almost all of there blends in my collection...both aromatic and English. I am a huge fan of Northwoods.