Boswell pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankluke

Reaction score
i'm thinking this will be my next pipe, not sure which one yet, but something in the $60 range, i plan on making this my aromatic pipe..

so heres my question, what are your overall opinions of boswell pipes and there blends?

www.boswellpipes.com

I have to be quite honest and say that I am pretty unimpressed with the Boswell pipes I have seen. They are very rough and unrefined, the sizes are nice but the craftsmanship is lacking. For the price you can get a much better pipe. I know alot of guys get into them, but you can get way more bang for your buck if you look a little harder.

Their blends, correct me if I am wrong, are mostly bulk. I am not 100% sure. But I have tried a few and they really didn't make much of an impression on me.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about with much of what I am familiar with regarding Boswell. I may be in the minority but that's my take.

10-96":cha7gw9q said:
I have to be quite honest and say that I am pretty unimpressed with the Boswell pipes I have seen. They are very rough and unrefined, the sizes are nice but the craftsmanship is lacking. For the price you can get a much better pipe. I know alot of guys get into them, but you can get way more bang for your buck if you look a little harder.

Their blends, correct me if I am wrong, are mostly bulk. I am not 100% sure. But I have tried a few and they really didn't make much of an impression on me.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about with much of what I am familiar with regarding Boswell. I may be in the minority but that's my take.
I appreciate your honesty, and though I am inclined to agree with you personally there are some people out there who swear by them. It could be their love of the family atmosphere they exude, or it could be the customer service- which I understand is pretty darn excellent but whatever it is there is a following. And a strong one at that.

If I was going to recommend any pipe to anybody in the $60 price range it'd be Stanwell, but some people prefer the shape and energy that comes from American family owned shops like Boswell and that's all good:)

A few years ago, I bought a Boswell bent sitter from premierpipes.com for about $50 including shipping. The briar and stem were well made but the bit was a little clunky. It's a fine smoker too. Similar in looks to the grey twist on the top row of this page-- http://homepage.mac.com/lori075/PhotoAlbum31.html

For $50 I don't think I could find a better deal on a hand made pipe.

my ha'pence worth
Jim

Don't know about Boswell, never owned one, but when I first started this wonderful hobby, as you are doing now, Peterson Pipes were recomended to me, mainly because of the P-lip they have. The smoke is directed toward the roof of the mouth and not the tongue, i.e. no tongue bite. Some people love then, and some don't. They start out at about $60.00, and for the price I think they are well made. One draw back they have is that their a pain to break in because not only do they stain the outside of the bowl but the inside too, so the first couple of smokes can be rough. Sanding the inside of the bowl with fine sand paper before the first smoke helps. Finding that favorite pipe of yours is half the fun.

Boswells are a truly excellent value.I've got two at work which serve the purpose of yard pipes.Both are full bents which see mainly MacBaren's Navy Flake.Both were purchased new off of e-bay and were under $50.00. The only issue I have is that the vulcanite stems that are used are especially quick to discolour.Great smokers though and well worth trying IMO....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I'm with Doc, I really like the 3 that I have; but try to get one with an acrylic stem, the vulcanite does turn fast.

Speaking as somebody who has tried a lot of pipes, I think that there are good Boswell pipes to be had.

This one is really a good smoke and a real beauty, too.

jmboswellspiralbentapplpk3.jpg

Even' All, When I got over being a slow-witted computer would be, JM was my first etailer, I have about 10 of his pipes, would not hesitate to buy more, his service is outstanding! Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :pirat: :tongue:

I have two Boswell pipes. One smokes great and the other is just ok to me. Overall I think some of his pipes are woth the $ for the value. I have also tried many of his house blends. All of his english blends are just ok as well. The only thing I would highly recommend is his blend Sweet tea, it is a great aromatic. I have had better aromatics but it is worth the money. The one thing that does keep me liking Boswell is the service is second to none and I mean that.

You cannot go wrong with Boswell pipes, they are affordable and have a tremendous following. I like supporting The Americans when I can, and the Boswell Family is tops.

Boswell pipes are good pipes. I own 2 of them. They're exactly as advertised; handmade pipes at affordable prices. The first one I bought took a little time "coming around" and the second was wonderful from the start. If you ever get a chance to visit his shop in Chambersburg, PA, you'll leave wishing you could come back every day. He will take time away from working in his shop to sit down, have a smoke and talk with you for as long as you hang about.