Boswell Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
I have heard good things about this pipe maker and his blends. I was curious if anyone has any reviews on Boswell Tobaccos. I am more curious about Northwoods, Vanilla Cream, and especially Chocolate Cream.

http://www.boswellpipes.com

I am also looking for any tobaccos that anyone would recommend. I am a cool smoke and aromatics kind of guy. I smoke around my wife and she has to be okay with the smell. Again, I am a big fan of Wilshire, and even Full Virginia Flake. Thanks for any thoughts.

Let me first start by saying that I am farely new to pipe smoking (6 months or so). I did receive some Boswell samples from a fellow BoB member. So here's my rundown on 3 of them
Peaches and Cream- Not bad, didn't really tast the peaches but it was a full bodies smoke.
Sweet Tea- actually tasted like sweet tea to me.
Pennsylvania Dutch Treat- By far hands down best boswell. It tasted like it smelled. As for room note I couldn't tell you. I though it smelled good and the guys I was around didn't say anything about it smelling bad (but we were all dog handlers and used to bad smells) I would recommend this one. By the way Boswell came up with this blend when he was 20. Not too shabby.

May I also recommend Petersons University Flake. It's a good cool smoke (for me atleast).

Hope this helps you out.

I live right down the street from boswells and let me say his blends are excellent. Boswells best and christmas cookie are both phenominal smokes. majestic 586 is another good one. Try em all man, at 2 bucks an ounce, why not? If you want more details on any, PM me.

A blend of JM's that I really enjoy is his Crown English of which I have little left after buying several pounds some years ago while traveling by his shop. Don't know if he still stocks this but if you like a mid range/fairly mild English it's terrific.
Doc

I recently ordered a couple of Boswell pipes and 5 different tabaccos.

The pipes smoke great! The no. 1 tabacco I have tried so far in Boswell's Best! A close second is Penn. Dutch Treat. I have a bag of Northwoods, but have not tried it yet.
Christmas Cookie is good, I also tried Boswell Burley. (The Burley was not as good as the others to me, but that is just my taste.)

Give 'em a call. They are great people to work with. I have always talked with Dan...really friendly.

It will be my Christmas present to myself, a Boswell Pipe with some tobacs. I am a big aromatics man. I'll have to look up some things. I am lookin at maybe a bigger pipe. Maybe not a GRIZZLY. My jaw probably couldn't handle it.

You might want to try Boswell Paradise. I bought an ounce just to try last week. Upon lighting my first bowlful, my wife's immediate reaction was "Wow is that ever nice!". It along with Vanilla Cream, and Boswell's Best are becoming my favorites.

Will do. Vanilla Cream is the one which I am going to try out. Currently Saving up for a Jumbo X if anyone has one that they are willing to part with for cheap-ish.

I'll cast another vote for the Pennsylvania Dutch Treat, it's my favorite aromatic (and I'm not really an aromatic smoker). Among his others, I like the Premium Burley, Magnum Blend, and Mild English. If you ever decide to try an English blend, don't miss the latter two.

Smokey

hi all, boswell northwoods is very good heavy on the lat countryside and mild english are both good also but northwoods is a very nice blend not cheap 48 a lb enjoy and happy smoking

Sorry I missed this one. I have not been on here in awhile. I would highly reccomend Christmas Cookie. I smoke this daily as well as Countryside. Countryside is a newer blend by J.M. and is not on their site yet. It is a great aromatic and has just a touch of latakia in it. Don't let the latakia scare you. You can't hardly smell it in the room note but it only gives it a nice undertone and adds a little richness to the flavor. I also smoke Boswell's Premium Burley. Between the three of those that is all I have been smoking lately.

Being a huge Boswell fan and having tried just about all his blends I can say that most all of the aromatics would pass the wife’s approval however I would be very cautious smoking Northwoods around her or anyone for that matter. Jim’s Northwoods blend happens to be one of my favorite blends however it has a very generous amount of Latika. Although it is a very smooth, creamy smoke it is definitely a wife repellant! Oh and if you like chocolate you’ll wanna try his chocolate cream. It’s like a shredded Hershey bar…..

Boswells Best is my favorite Boswell blend, also like the Berry cober and Sweet Dreams. The Vanilla Cream is good as well, do not leave it in the baggie place it in a mason jar asap as it loses flavor quickly. You may also like his Premium Burley as it is mixed with an aromatic black cav
Dave

I absolutely luv Northwoods; but then again I'm a bit of a Lat-head!! The Mild English is a nice change-of-pace for me. Countryside reminds me of a tobacco I used to get locally. Used a bit of sweet cavendish mixed in with the sweet Vas to lend a slight aro to the smoke. Not bad for an aromatic-type tobacco. Haven't tried the Boswell aro's; not my "bag," as we used to say!! :pipe: FTRPLT

I've tried two blends from Boswell's and been pleased with both. Northwoods is a superb English blend with a somewhat harsh room note. Maple Leaf smells and tastes very good, but I find it to be a wet smoke unless it's in a cob.

I've recently tried the Christmas Cookie as well as the Berry Cobbler. They're both really decent aromatic smokes. What I've liked about them is that they have a nice, full flavor but they don't goop up my pipe. Plus, I don't go through a whole box of matches trying to keep them lit like other aromatics... even without drying. The only downside is that I've had some tongue bite issues with them that I haven't had with the C&D aros.

My Secret Santa brought me 2 oz. each of Boswell’s Best, Piper’s. Pleasure, Honey Roast, and Christmas Cookie. All four are excellent. Boswell’s aromatics are more like certain European aros; Rattray’s for example.

Boswells is one of the better providers of quality aromatics and some nicer English blends. Northwoods, Countryside and Railroad Station on the English. As for the aros, my picks are Cupcake and No Bite Delite.