Boswell's Rum River

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
I've tried quite a few of Boswell's hand blended aro's over the past year and most of them have left me very satisfied, if not completely smitten with them. I have a handful of favorites and have come to expect a certain amount of flavor experienced in each one. I picked up the Rum River with high expectations. I really love trying anything blended with a good liquor: rum, scotch, whiskey, what have you. This particular blend was a bit of a let down though with the rum flavor not really coming through at all. It was incredibly mellow, almost bland. I kept waffling back and forth between, "Is that chocolate I taste or vanilla? Where is the rum?" The flavor is nearly undetectable. I'll finish off the 2oz I bought, maybe trying it in a couple different pipes, but I won't be coming back to this one.

While I enjoy Boswell aromatics..admittedly they do have a couple that I don't really get.

The 2 best rum blends on the market IMO are Rum Flake (a Lakeland from SG G&H) and Rumcake, a aromatic from Pipeworks and Wilke.

In answer to your prior question on aromatics...aside from Boswell, P&W has probably the next best selection of quality aromatics. Their 191 is also a favorite of mine, and they have quite a number of unique blends.

Storm_Crow":irgbgbji said:
While I enjoy Boswell aromatics..admittedly they do have a couple that I don't really get.

The 2 best rum blends on the market IMO are Rum Flake (a Lakeland from SG) and Rumcake, a aromatic from Pipeworks and Wilke.

In answer to your prior question on aromatics...aside from Boswell, P&W has probably the next best selection of quality aromatics. Their 191 is also a favorite of mine, and they have quite a number of unique blends.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to try those.

Totally concur on Carol's aro's at P&W! I'm not much on aromatics, but I do enjoy hers. I do believe you'll like her Rumcake. She offers some sampler options; give them a try. Those old Wilke recipes/blends are hard to beat. FTRPLT

The 2 best rum blends on the market IMO are Rum Flake (a Lakeland from SG G&H) and Rumcake, a aromatic from Pipeworks and Wilke.

In answer to your prior question on aromatics...aside from Boswell, P&W has probably the next best selection of quality aromatics. Their 191 is also a favorite of mine, and they have quite a number of unique blends.[/quote]

Check out Sultiff 's blends. Sometimes I swear some of their blends are renamed Sultiff products.

Thispast Christmas, my Secret Santa gifted me a Boswell’s Aromatic Sampler and a tin of Rum River, because he knew of my fondness for Barbados Plantation. I was very impressed by most of the aros, when compared to what I’ve smoked since 1964. A couple of them really impressed me. The Rum River was not even meh. It was flavorless; neither rum nor tobacco making it’s presence perceptable. Warm air. Inexpicable, when you consider the quality of Boswell’s other blends.

Prize goes to motie2 for opening a thread started by BriarBabe in 2014. Seven years. Some threads live forever.

1647115168520.png