Boswell's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what you all think of Boswell pipes and tobacco? My father and I are thinking of planning a daytrip there (it's three and a half hours away). Pops enjoys aromatics and likes some of their blends, and I'm wondering if I might enjoy one of their English blends (they have two or three I think?). I'd also like to buy one of his pipes. The Jumbos look like absolute monsters, and I wouldn't want to order one that I haven't handled first.

What is everyone's thoughts of Boswell's pipes, tobacco, and store? Anyone else close by? Maybe you can join us there for a smoke!

Not real familiar with their blends or store. I have owned several of their pipes though. Cult following. Good smokers. I like their Poker styles the most...esp. the sitters. The spiral cut designs are iconic Boswell too. They tend to sell quickly when posted. I’d call before making a long drive to make sure they have a selection of their pipes in stock from which to choose. And yes, some are really monsters. I’d be looking for a smaller and lighter version if it was me shopping. Good luck.

Currently available...

Yeah, there's some cool ones listed on the site! Even if they just have a few when I go it might give me a good idea of the feel of the pipes so it will help me order later.

If you have the chance to take a trip and stop at Boswell's you'll not be disappointed. You can smoke a few of their blends and see what you prefer and I'm sure you will leave there with at least 3 different Boswell blends. Maybe even a pipe!! Last time I was at Boswell's I had a cup of coffee and smoked a few bowls and left with close to 2 pounds of their blends which I'm aging for about another two years. Your not rushed and your made to feel like family. If you hit a lucky day you can actually watch JM make a pipe!! It's definitely a 5 STAR B&M.
Not like walking into Peretti's in Boston and your asked " so do you want to buy anything "! There your welcomed with that good old Boston attitude :scratch: :scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

That sounds really great! And it seems that pipe smokers also drink GOOD coffee, so if they have coffee on hand I'm sure it's delicious!

They coat their bowls and the tobaccos are a bit spendy, but distasteful as both are, I've always wanted to drop by. I only like their pipes to the extent that they approach classic shapes, which leaves most out. Way out. I occasionally see one that I might have bought had it not already been sold. As for price, I can justify anything pipe-related by simply comparing it to the cost of cigars. Have a hunch that I would love their Northwoods blend.

I owned a somewhat large rhodesian walnut smooth. One of the best, if not THE best, feeling in the hand. Just perfect for my anatomy. The draft hole was huge. It felt like I was smoking through a McDonald's straw. I don't like that. Not even a little. Regretfully, I had no choice but to sell it. I liked holding it, but I didn't like smoking it. I'd give their pipes another shot. They have a couple shapes they do really, really well. I think their shop would be fun to visit.

Good pipes, good blends. (end of review) :lol:

Seriously, I had a Canadian from there that I sold to a brother here on BoB. It was a great looking pipe and a good smoker. I have it in my mind to get one again someday. Their aros are very nice as was Northwoods back when I liked latakia.

You won't leave Boswell's without at least 8 oz. of Northwoods especially if you try a bowl with a cup of coffee. It's no more higher priced than Peretti's or Uhle's blends.

Like Simple Man stated " good pipes good blends end of review.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":0hgwt8vd said:
You won't leave Boswell's without at least 8 oz. of Northwoods especially if you try a bowl with a cup of coffee. It's no more higher priced than Peretti's or Uhle's blends.

Like Simple Man stated " good pipes good blends end of review.
Peretti's: Boswell, English: English, $64.00: $81.60. Not that I give a dang; I've got millions. Of pennies.

(P-p-per pound.)

I own at least three of Jm's briars, two bents and a big Rhodesian. All bought at the Chambersburg store. Great place to visit!! Fine cigar selection/s!! I've tried many of his Burleys & aros; just not my cup of tea!! Northwoods is a delight, though a bit expensive. The store has a huge pipe selection, many more than what's on his website. During my last visit, JM came out with an entire tray of new briars. Dared me not to buy one!! I did!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Richard Burley

Peretti's DD is $57.00 a pound. Uhle's is higher priced. Every time I've stopped @ Boswell's I've always found a blend or two on a special
sale. However, many purchase Peretti's Thanksgiving blend for $20.00 for 4 oz., that's a bit high but it's always sold out. Comes to $5.00 an ounce, not that bad for the quality tobacco's your getting. The more you purchase the price does not get any cheaper.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

People are paying a lot more for 2oz of Penzance. I say, if you want it and you have the money, more power to ya'. No matter what's your poison. :lol: