Bought a home!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been a few months since I've been anywhere resembling active on here. It's been a whirlwind of work and personal matters as of late it seems. One of those is a massive first time for me, which was buying a home. I ended up finding a fantastic corner lot house just a handful of blocks down from where I currently live, for the right price and with the sellers making a really gracious deall overall. The only stressful thing about the whole endeavor was that the sellers needed someone who could close in less than a month on the house, which I somehow managed to work out. I closed this past Friday and get to start moving in on Monday! Even better, being in the same neighborhood means that all of my services and utilities get to transfer over seamlessly, and I get to finally redecorate and rearrange as I see fit, instead of bowing to the whims of a property manager. The only concerning item that came back in the home inspection was that the local power company (Portland General Electric) decided to put their utility pole for the block through the sewer line for the property, but after video evidence and excavation confirmed the issue, they were gracious enough to cover the repairs for the line.

I consider myself extremely lucky, as I never expected to be able to buy a home at the ripe old age of 26, in the current housing market in the PNW, but here I am! Here's to a wonderful adventure in front of me!

Congrats Bobby, you'll be happy in your own home and can redcorate/remodel to your hearts content. And you can smoke your pipe anywhere and not be bothered by rules from the landlord!

Just bought a house myself in Sun City, AZ where I'll be moving to soon upon retirement!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4msvcnzo said:
Congrats Bobby, you'll be happy in your own home and can redcorate/remodel to your hearts content. And you can smoke your pipe anywhere and not be bothered by rules from the landlord!

Just bought a house myself in Sun City, AZ where I'll be moving to soon upon retirement!

Cheers,

RR
Congratulations! I'm sad I wasn't able to make it up to visit you in Snowqualmie, but I can imagine you'll be more than happy with your decision to move, considering our discussions on your preferences in weather. Good luck on the move yourself!

Blackhorse":34gnmual said:
Totally excellent, Bobby.  Does this mean you’re planning on makingnPortland your home?
Yes I am! The lady and I both really enjoy it here, and at the end of the day there's just not enough of a market for the types of jobs I work back where I was in Texas.

Up here, I get to enjoy wonderful weather, good job prospects, and a fantastic selection of food and drink - what's not to love? :D

WarlockBob":nnoy9k88 said:
Blackhorse":nnoy9k88 said:
Totally excellent, Bobby.  Does this mean you’re planning on makingnPortland your home?
Yes I am! The lady and I both really enjoy it here, and at the end of the day there's just not enough of a market for the types of jobs I work back where I was in Texas.

Up here, I get to enjoy wonderful weather, good job prospects, and a fantastic selection of food and drink - what's not to love? :D

Cool. Those of us that live in the Portland area can’t imagine life anywhere else. Well, we CAN...but it’s not as good. Yup...the weather IS good...if you don’t mind the coolness and rain. But heck, I lived in Ketchikan, Alaska for eight years and PDX seems like AZ by comparison. And, kind of, it IS.

Average rainfall in Portland = a bit over 35”.

Average rainfall in Ketchikan = a bit over 150”.

(OK...Phoenix is 8”...so Portland is about 4X Phoenix and Ketchikan is about 4X Portland.)

Compare to Eastern Oregon (Pendleton/Bend) where it’s about 14” per year. Whatever.

I could go on. But will refrain out of courtesy.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will really enjoy the freedoms that come with being in charge lol.

Seriously though best of luck to you brother
Jim

That's awesome news Bob! And at 26 too, that's heck of an achievement! I can totally relate to the freedom that you're own house will bring you. I spent many years living in Service provided houses which were always painted Magnolia. You could paint if you wished, but you had to return everything to Magnolia before you vacated. With some tours only lasting a couple of years most didn't bother decorating so your life at home became a sea of Magnolia.

Hey, how about some Marvel wall paper?!

Excited for you mate!