Bought a new brush

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
After almost 48 years of use my old badger brush has finally bit the dust so I've been looking around at getting a new one. They do eventually wear a bit thin after some length of time and mine has reached it's end! After looking on the web at all the $100.+brushes  was about ready to just pick-up a boar bristle brush at the drugstore when a friend of mine who's also a wet/brush shaver told me about the products the folks over at Wet Shaving Products sell. They make their brushes here in the US and after looking at the one he has I have to say that they sell a good product at a much better price than what I was finding offered by others. The days of a good badger brush at under $30.00 as I paid back in '68 are over for sure but the prices asked by some folks for them these days is ridiculous !!
After seeing what he was able to buy for $70.00 I went to their website and found my new brush at $59.99 !!  It's their Monarch Superfine silver badger brush and it should be here sometime next week !! :twisted:  Here's a link to their site for those who would want to check 'em out : http://wetshavingproducts.com/
Here's some pics of theirs of the brush I'm getting !! It should arrive about the time my resupply of Williams soap gets her so we'll see just how well it does !!

This one should last till I die and I can leave it to my grandson to use !! :twisted: :twisted:

Looks cool. Why do they use badger, I've often wondered? Why not woodchuck or skunk or something?

You can re-knot them you know, but the price to do so might be as much as a new one, not to mention the time and effort. Unless the handle has some sentimental value it's probably not worth it. A couple of mine do, so I'll probably go that route.

Nice looking brush Michael. I have just recently started to tinker with shaving with a brush and soap. I now just need to by the DE razor and I'll have everything I need. Apart from a different shaving experience, I'm looking forward to the significant savings one can make by not spending the eye watering amounts on cartridge razors. I'll let you know how I get on...

OK Monbla,
Have you received your new brush and if so how does it lather up for you? I'm in need of another brush, as I've been using my grandfather's old Badger brush for 20+ years.!!! Pretty worn out but still works ok. In the past PB had recommended a seller of some nice brushes and I'm going to look into one of those. And as for soap!!! I cannot find Williams at the CVS or Wallgreens drug stores any more. What's with that?? I love that old drug store brand of shaving soap.
Andy

I use a WSP silvertip badger brush as well. You can't beat the quality for value. At least that is my experience. I love it.

joshoowah":p848gdq1 said:
I use a WSP silvertip badger brush as well. You can't beat the quality for value. At least that is my experience. I love it.
Thanks for your comment joshoowah, looks like WSP comes in highly recommended.

docwatson":m1mpy67e said:
joshoowah":m1mpy67e said:
Thanks for your comment joshoowah, looks like WSP comes in highly recommended.
This one is mine:

prince-silvertip-01_1_1024x1024.jpg

I am away for a while and when I return back home I'll definitely get one of these brushes. The info on the website is excellent and I'll definitely take the recommendations from You and Richard. Thanks much.

docwatson":a8rludud said:
OK Monbla,
Have you received your new brush and if so how does it lather up for you? I'm in need of another brush, as I've been using my grandfather's old Badger brush for 20+ years.!!! Pretty worn out but still works ok. In the past PB had recommended a seller of some nice brushes and I'm going to look into one of those. And as for soap!!! I cannot find Williams at the CVS or Wallgreens drug stores any more. What's with that?? I love that old drug store brand of shaving soap.
Andy
I've used my new brush for three shaves now and with each one it produces MORE lather with less effort with my Williams soap !! I'm VERY PLEASED with my choice and feel this ill last till I die and I leave it to my grandson !! :twisted: For the money, I feel this one is MORE than worth it's price!! :twisted:

monbla256":8ornakv4 said:
I've used my new brush for three shaves now and with each one it produces MORE lather with less effort with my Williams soap !! I'm VERY PLEASED with my choice and feel this ill last till I die and I leave it to my grandson !! :twisted:  For the money, I feel this one is MORE than worth it's price!! :twisted:
Thanks for the update on the new brush. Sounds like I'll be following your lead and in a couple weeks I'll be ordering one of the same. I'm way overdue for a new brush, if you saw how worn my old one is you'd laugh, but alas, it was my grandfathers and being that I'm 68 years old you can imagine how old that fine old Badger brush is, and has had a good long life.

I'd used a badger brush for a couple decades, sent off for another, but was reluctant to throw the old one away. Then, a couple of winters ago, I found it provided excellent and exceptionally durable material for tails on a variety of trout flies.

KevinM":zysr0uyk said:
I'd used a badger brush for a couple decades, sent off for another, but was reluctant to throw the old one away. Then, a couple of winters ago, I found it provided excellent and exceptionally durable material for tails on a variety of trout flies.
OK,
I can totally relate to what you say. I am also a fly tyer and as such we collect every and any natural fur/hair/feathers that we might come across. So bad that I used to gather road kill animals and preserve the hides. LOL
I haven't tied in several years but did so for 25 years or more. So instead of discarding that old Badger brush, it will be trimmed and put into my tying supplies.

docwatson":16hn4ys5 said:
OK Monbla,
Andy
Hey Doc Williams soap shut its doors around June of last year. The folks that use it have been buying it up like 22 LR ammo. I'm not one of them MIKE

Hey Doc Williams soap shut its doors around June of last year.  The folks that use it have been buying it up like 22 LR ammo.  I'm not one of them   MIKE [/quote]

Thanks Mike for the heads up. Our fellow BoB member Monbla made me aware of this. Always sorry to see a company we become accustomed to using go out of business. There are plenty of other fine soaps out there but William's has always been my soap.

Andy

I've found that the soaps hotels distribute to guest rooms often make superb shaving soaps. They generate lather aplenty when used with a badger brush. I always stock up in our summer travels.

docwatson":jbhuev6c said:
Hey Doc Williams soap shut its doors around June of last year.  The folks that use it have been buying it up like 22 LR ammo.  I'm not one of them   MIKE
Thanks Mike for the heads up.  Our fellow BoB member Monbla made me aware of this. Always sorry to see a company we become accustomed to using go out of business. There are plenty of other fine soaps out there but William's has always been my soap.

Andy[/quote]

I've been able to get a stock of 12 pucks of Williams to add to the 6 I already had which at 1 puck a year should last me till I die !! :evil: And my new brush produces lather like I've never had with my Williams before !! Me be happy puppy !!! :evil: :evil:

That's great news Monbla. It's amazing how such little things mean so much to us guys. You are in good shape for sure with a lifetime of Williams soap and a great brush.
Cheers.
Andy