Bought us a toy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Dave

Reaction score
Well I went out this past Monday and bought a Play Station 3 and a couple of games. At age 59 I didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I have. I got Madden NFL and a RPG called Dragon Age that I love. Anyone else my age enjoy these game systems? If you do and you have any game recommendations please feel free to recommend away.

I am jealous!!!!!!!!

When it came time to update from Playstation 2 the wife insisted on Nintindo Wii for the kids.....
the hardly ever play it... PS3 woulda been so much cooler.

I did a bit of research on the PS3, Xbox360 and the Wii. I was able to determine that the Wii leaned toward being for a younger crowd, the Xbox still has reliability issues (the company stands by the systems and will replace readily but the failure rate is 29%. It's hard to believe that a product with that failure rate is even marketable). So I decided on the PS3 even though there are fewer popular game titles for it.

I remember buying a game system for my daughter when she was in grammar school and we played Zelda for hours on end. When we got a PC I really got into Myst. Eventually I found Everquest which became Evercrack to me and I played it for about 3 years. I didn't enjoy Everquest II so I quit playing games altogether. My wife wanted a game system to play some puzzle games on and coincidentally I picked up this Dragon Age RPG. It is exactly the kind of game I enjoy. This is gonna be fun. It is a little hard for me to smoke my pipe while manipulating controls since I don't clench. I may have to learn how to do that real soon though. :D

I have a PS 3, for me it was a no-brainer: it plays bluray movies.

I have a few games, but honestly don't have the time to play. Two games that I finished all the way through are Bad Company and Call of Juarez II.

Bad Company is a war RPG with a little sillyness thrown in to make the game fun for me as I'm not really into the whole call of duty stuff.

Call of Juarez was very good and plays like a movie. It starts during the civil war and continues on into Mexico. You can be one of two cowboys, one that duel wields revolvers, and one that can sharpshoot with a rifle (remind anyone of Frank and Jesse james). I highly recommend this game, but rent it. One problem with games like this, is that they end.

I also have Mortal Combat Vs DC , NBA 2k9 (which I honestly have not had the time to play), Texas Hold em, and some other stuff.

I haven't had a chance to play the new Madden yet. I hate to buy these because the next season will release another.

I'll have to see if I can find that dragon game. But between work, gym, and watching NBA, I don't have much time to play.

BTW, I'm only 36, but I feel like a dinasaur in terms of gaming systems.

My brother has a PS3 and I keep trying to convince him to buy Dragon Age. He still has not gotten it yet. GAH!!! If he doesn't have it for Christmas maybe i'll buy it for him... and then play it. :tongue:

Tennessee Dave":29h57y5z said:
... the Xbox still has reliability issues (the company stands by the systems and will replace readily but the failure rate is 29%. It's hard to believe that a product with that failure rate is even marketable)
I cant agree with you more. So I go buy CoD:MW2 on launch day, play through 1st training mission, and BOOM! my xbox shits out. So of course I had to once again send it in. I have owned a 360 since launch, and this marks the 5th system I have sent in to be replaced and I hardly play it a couple hours a month.

I play Chessmaster and WW2 games on my computer.Silent Hunter 3 is my favorite
and a good game for pipesmoking with not a lot of sudden hand moves.Red Orchestra
is another favorite......but you can get tongue bite puffing too fast on the pipe when
all these guys are trying to kill you. :x

Winslow :sunny:

I used to play Diablo One on my laptop when I was traveling a lot, twiddling my thumbs sitting in hotel rooms. Then I got into first person shooters, and really liked Quake, Half-Life, and Unreal. When it went totally online with mostly ratty children running around in a circle shooting each other in the back with hacks, I got tired of it, even at a few minutes a day.

Blogging is like a game, so I'd say that's the last video game I played, keeping a blog. It's extremely time consuming. You need skill at linking and posting in a way that networks your target traffic. You need to read much of what's out there for context. If you post on legitimate big blogs, you give up anonymity, and some business or potential employer will have a problem. Where are the lines? Like that beer commercial, too light, too heavy, or just right? For whom? Am I saying something worth reading or just talking because I like hearing the sound of my own voice? The latter is always the case. Hands down, that's one of the more difficult games I've played. But a rush.

I just had to send in my Xbox due to it getting the red ring of death. Still it is one heck of a system like it the best of the three available.

I rented Dragon Age and Madden. Im really enjoying Dragon age. This is the first Diablo-type game where you can control any of your party members, but it means you have to really know all the classes and their skills.

I'm playing a mage and have must recovered ash from the Urn to save what's his name, who's son I killed because he was possessed by a woman, I mean a demon.

I guess I'll go re-rent it today.

On the down side, I havent been to the gym since Monday....

TO the Urn of Ashes is an awesome quest that you will enjoy. I just finished that quest 2 days ago. I am now in the Deep Roads. Dragon Age is an awesome game.

Tennessee Dave":gk8gwp37 said:
TO the Urn of Ashes is an awesome quest that you will enjoy. I just finished that quest 2 days ago. I am now in the Deep Roads. Dragon Age is an awesome game.
I just healed the dude that is heir to the thrown and removed the curse from the werewolves.

Pretty good story line, and I love how I can switch out party members Right now I'm in the Circle trying to figure out what happened to the tower which is overrun by creatures. I also picked up yet another mage, but she is more of a healer than a raw damage dealer.

I myself am an avid gamer, although i have an xbox 360 (i have no problems yet). I would recommend a few games

1. The elder scrolls oblivion- Purely amazing game. it looks beautiful even if it was made in 2007, it still looks amazing.
2. bioshock- awesome gameplay great story. it is very, very good.

there are many others, but these ones i would recommend getting.