boxed breakfast cereal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
If anything dates my age and generation, I feel it is sugary boxed cereal. I'm surprised any of us have any teeth. It's amazing how few parents put 2+2 together. "My kids have a lot of cavities. They eat half a box of Frosted Flakes every morning." I don't really eat breakfast because I'm not very hungry in the morning. But if I did, day in, day out, I would reach for a box of cereal. It's really my preferred afternoon and nighttime snack as well (usually without milk). In the last 10-15 years, they've been doing something weird with it. On the list of ingredients, it might say "sugar", but something else is going on with it. I don't know if it is because of how they apply it (spraying?) or what. I only know that with most major brand cereals, I don't get along with them. So when I find a certain kind of cereal, or brand, that doesn't do that to me, I'm genuinely enthused about it. A local grocery chain stocks Mom's Best Cereals. I've tried about half of them, and they're all better tasting than their name-brand counterpart. The list of ingredients is also short and not full of oddball additives and preservatives. My body does well with them; like with normal food that isn't a chemistry experiment. As they say "sugar", I sense it is actually sugar and not a play on words. The cocoa ones are sugary favorites, and the raisin brand is exceptional. The flakes almost taste like smooshed Grape Nuts. I've never had a better raisin bran flake than this. They're thick flakes with a fantastic taste. And maybe best of all, they're far cheaper than the big names. You're essentially getting a premium "whole foods" product you'd usually find in the special foods aisles for the price of a generic box of cereal. I don't know how they do it, but they do. I believe some Targets also stock them.
https://www.momsbestcereals.com/

As a kid I ate all those kid cereals like Captain Crunch, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, Lucky Charms, etc. Now I can't stand to even think about eating that crap. These days I rarely eat cereal but when I do I prefer Shredded Wheat in the big biscuit form. That or oatmeal. But I'm more of a fruit for breakfast kinda guy these days.

Cheers,

RR

Only cereals I remember as a kid were frosted flakes and Cheerios. As an adult I either ate raisin bran or shredded wheat although I did get on a Kashi binge for a short time. Prefer whole grain cereals although I don't think I've had any cereal for maybe 2 years.

Put me down for Blueberry Wheatfuls. I'm a cereal head, currently doing Frosted Mini Wheats, but bounce back and forth to Mueslix. Awesome find!

Yeah, various cereals as a kid. Cheerio's and Special K at the top of the list. We were in the orthodontist chair early enough that the sugary stuff went away.

Now days. If I eat a cereal type food, it's usually muesli from the bulk food store. 3 x 5lb bags of the stuff and I stow it in Tupperware containers.

Recently age related problems have cropped up with my teeth. One of the molars has become sensitive. They tell me that bone regresses from the teeth and that has allowed one of my wisdom teeth to push against the tooth next to it. It has a cavity in it. And may have a cavity in another. That wisdom tooth gets yanked in July. Never had any cavities before. Have had all my teeth including the wisdom teeth for 65 years soon, and now going to start losing them.

Usually have about 3 boxes sitting on top of our fridge. Choices rotate in and out. Yes, Frosted Mini Wheats…plus Honey Nut Cheerios (I rarely eat these but my wife keeps buying ‘em so we almost always have ‘em on hand)…also Grape Nuts (since the far superior Kashi version is no longer made), Golden Grahams and the most recent treasure…Reece’s Puffs (like the peanut butter cups). On the Reece’s, some of the pieces are peanut butter, some are chocolate. It’s insanely good. I have cereal for breakfast about 2-3 times a week.

The thing with me is blending. Wonder where I got that? Anyway, Cheerios are much improved with the addition of 1/3 Golden Grahams…etc.

Another culinary masterwork is adding cereals to a bowl of fruit like strawberries or whatever…or ice cream. It’s kinda like croutons on a salad. 😁

I remember eating a few sweet ones like Frosted Flakes and Fruit Loops but missed most of 'em. I always did like Raisin Bran and Shredded wheat. These days it's back and forth between oatmeal and Honey Nut Cheerios.

Corn flakes, shredded wheat, Cheerios, and rice krispies are the ones I remember.

Frosted mini wheat and coco peebles are go-to brands. There's always a box of either in the cabinet