Braggin' on Da Kid

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
Most of you guys know it's just me and my kid. The smallest of small families. And since you BoB'ers are my electronic one, when it comes time to make a toast this board is it.

I talked to him the other day to see how the PhD was coming along (4.5 years through a 6 year program), and learned that his latest project/experiment, besides being 100% his concept/idea (which is rare in itself), was recognized by the faculty as potentially valuable enough that they wanted it staffed with post-grad personnel. As in, some of the people he now manages and directs in the lab are PhD's on salary, while he is still a student.

That sort of thing doesn't happen often in the science world, and is an ostrich-sized feather in his hat.

I only drink ginger ale now (my pancreas sez so), but here's to you, kid!

:cheers:

Congratulations! Nice to see the youngsters doing very well.

Definitely monumental. Congratulations to your son, and you have every right to be braggin on him,,, :cheers:

Way cool!! The apple doen't fall far from the tree. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

LL, the heartiest of congratulations. Gotta love it when the youngsters remind us why we let 'em live once they hit puberty! :p

Doc Manhattan":xb9zar92 said:
Hearty congratulations! Which field of research is he in?
Physics will be the degree, nanoscale lasers are his field of interest (and what he's working on now).

LL":qqgm9zci said:
Doc Manhattan":qqgm9zci said:
Physics will be the degree, nanoscale lasers are his field of interest (and what he's working on now).
I had to look up exactly what that was, and I hereby double my congrats. Interesting from a science standpoint, and practical to humanity (when it gets worked out with the help of smart dudes like your son.)

Doc Manhattan":vb2k6eox said:
LL":vb2k6eox said:
Doc Manhattan":vb2k6eox said:
I had to look up exactly what that was, and I hereby double my congrats. Interesting from a science standpoint, and practical to humanity (when it gets worked out with the help of smart dudes like your son.)
Don't feel bad, everyone has to look it up. :lol: It isn't just an uber-tech subject, but one that is just now coming into existence. There aren't any reference books on it yet. Very cool (imo) because it is potentially planet-changing in importance, a la integrated circuits.

Here is an earlier paper he contributed to before getting his own project:

http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/MAR10/Event/124371

The inspiration to get involved with this sort of stuff? Reading science fiction as a kid. :lol:

Doc Manhattan":gs7litmn said:
Where-vard University? Never heard of it. :twisted:
Me either until he said it was where Minnie Driver's character went to school in Good Will Hunting. Then it clicked.

That's my boy... choosing a party school according to its fictional HotBritChick quotient. :twisted: He'll grow up one day, I expect.

Wow, that is fantastic news, and certainly reason to be proud, LL. Cheers back at ya with a tumbler of ginger ale!

L.L., I dont post much but congratulations on having someone to be proud of, you have bragging rights not many of us can have. You obviously did a good job with him, being a good scientist is a great thing, but being a good dad is better.

Thanks guys. :D

It is definitely a kick to see your DNA playing in the big leagues. I really hope this last project flies high and gets him some recognition. The field is so heavily loaded with brainiacs that getting noticed is difficult.

I told him that Dad wants a time machine and a Star Trek style Replicator (to make a few million in cash with), and he said he'd get right on it. :lol:

(Turns out that #2 has actually been given some thought by people in the field, believe it or not):

http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/2007/12/a-star-trek-rep.html

That's really cool and something to very proud of. I hope my kid one day gets his PHD or Dr. His daddy still hasn't been able to go that far, and it would make my buttons burst if my little boy did something this amazing.

Congrats!

When I read a post like yours, LL, I remember what it is really important in life. Best wishes. Thank you for sharing it with us.

LL,
What a great achievment. I am always glad to hear a Father delight in his children. They are a wonderful gift from God. I wish all the best to you and your son.