Brand new to the hobby....and I need help!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lainatan

Reaction score
Brand new to the hobby.  My father smoked a pipe every once and a while when I was younger and I always remember the smell being great.  I talked to him about what he did when he smoked and he gave me some tips to stick with Apple and Cherry tobaccos.

Fast forward to this past week, I found a local pipe and cigar shop (the Pipe Rack in Akron, OH for those that want to know) and they recommended some in house blends.  One was a Whisky Cavendish and the other was "Jim's Blend" (supposed to have a French Vanilla flavor).  I got two pipes from P&C with an ounce and a half of Brigadier Black's Antietam, made my own tamper out of an old .270 cartridge, watched all the YouTube videos I thought I would need (thank you MuttonChop Piper) and last night I fired up my first bowl.

The good news, I was able to make it through the bowl and only had to re-lite after the true lite, twice.  I tamped and puffed and was actually starting to feel comfortable with it.

The bad news, I started with "Jim's Blend" and I'm not completely sure I packed it right but because it stayed lit mostly, I thought I did alright for my first try.  What I wasn't expecting, with all the talk about flavors and aromas and stuff, was that it felt like I was smoking a cigar.  I've smoked cigars before and part of wanting to smoke a pipe was to get away from the ashtray smell/taste of a cigar.  My wife and kids even said it stunk.

Had someone in any of these videos or forums said, "If you've smoked a cigar before, it will be similar with flavor notes of [insert flavor here]" I think I would have been more prepared.  Again, brand new to this so my expectation was very much skewed.  This isn't what I remember it smelling like when I was younger and what I've heard people say pipe smoking should be like.  I need help.  I don't want to give up on it so quickly, but I'm going to need something a bit more "flavorful" with an aroma that won't drive my wife and kids away from me.

Any help is very much appreciated.  Thank you

Welcome to the brotherhood.

You should be able to find something that doesn't taste like a cigar, for sure.

Don't really know what "Jim's Blend" is, so not much to go on there except you said it's supposed to be French Vanilla. I personally like a good vanilla cavendish in general, but of course they can vary quite a bit.

"This isn't what I remember it smelling like when I was younger and what I've heard people say pipe smoking should be like."
Well, what was it that your dad smoked? That could be somewhere to start.

Keep in mind one thing is the first few smokes in new briar will be tainted to one extent or another by the wood. I've had new pipes that were just fine, nothing unpleasant. And I've had a couple you couldn't taste anything but a strong, unpleasant, greenish briar wood taste at first. Regardless, the taste will change after it starts to break in.

Thank you. In all honesty, I had asked my Dad about what he smoked and, now in his mid 70's and with some dementia, he doesn't remember the brand/blend, all he remembers is Apple or Cherry.

The Antietam I have mentions Cherry in the description, so maybe the next bowl I'll use that. I guess is there any types of tobacco to stay away from to avoid the "cigar" taste? I thought I had read something about cigar/cigarettes use mostly Burley?

I know it can be a bit bewildering with all the available choices. But in my opinion there's nothing wrong with starting with the tried and true.

Prince Albert and/or Carter Hall have been around forever, thousands of people smoke it every day. Taste like tobacco but not really cigarish.

More Captain Black White is sold than anything else. And if you want something with a pleasant "room note" it's up at the top. Makes women want to have your babies. :D Little light in the flavor department for the smoker IMO. It's what "smells like the pipe my grand-dad smoked" to lots of people because, well, that's what lots of grand-dads smoked.

Been smoking some CB Copper lately and I like it pretty good. Little more full flavored than the original.
( https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9754/lane-limited-captain-black-copper )

Point is, they've been around for a long time because they get the job done. They behave pretty much the same every time, relatively easy to smoke, and apparently taste OK to millions of pipe smokers. Maybe looked down upon by tobacco snobs as not worth smoking. But they give you a point to start from and compare to. Find out what you like and what you don't. For a brand new piper the house blend you pick up at your local tobacconist could be too wet, too dry, just a bad blend, and how can you know if it's your first try?

For sure you can branch out and try all kinds of more complex blends and flavors, fancier more expensive tobaccos as you go. But really a couple cheap pouches from your local drug store should do fine at first while you break in your new pipe and learn a little technique.

Thank you Pistolero

I think its a case of trying to go to fast with it. Its good advice. I'll check out where I can get some of the tried and true tobaccos

Thanks again

Captain Black can be found just about anywhere. I've noticed that the really strong aromatics don't usually have as strong of flavor as scent

The journey always has to begin somewhere Lainatan. Many of us started with pipe weed we no longer smoke for whatever reason. Part of the journey is finding what works best for you in a particular pipe. There's no right or wrong answers. It's all down to what you prefer.

Your technique will evolve as well. Even some of the experienced pipers have issues from time to time. Don't let it get to you, and by all means don't judge a bowl on how many re-lights you have. Seldom does anyone get away with just the initial light. Re-lights are expected. Hopefully not too many, but that comes down to packing method, moisture level, 'baccy, pipe, and much else. Part of the learning curve and nobody is truly an expert.

I too heartily endorse trying the so-called codger blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, etc. They will probably give you the most consistent results at your stage as they are easy to pack, burn, and offer straightforward uncomplicated flavors.

Spend some time in the Tobacco Jar and Pipe Techniques sub-forums as there are plenty of helpful threads. And don't be shy to reach out and ask questions. There are no dumb questions.

Great to have you here BTW!

Cheers,

RR

Thank you. I’ll definitely give them a try. And it’s nice to see such a friendly community. Glad to be here and thanks for welcoming me in !

Welcome! Smoke slowly, like sipping a fine liquor. As mentioned by other pipers, carter Hall and butternut burley are great for beginners and old pipers like myself. I smoke carter hall almost every day! Read about the different tobaccos. Ask about it on this site. Find one you might like and buy it in bulk. It's a lot less expensive than buying tins. Most of all, enjoy the piping experience.

Welcome to the community. Be sure to read through the subforums on this site.

Beginners are often pointed towards some of the most difficult to smoke blends. You need to develop your technique. Get the packing right. Learn what moisture will do to your technique. How to avoid, or minimize tongue burn.

Should you find yourself in a tobacconist shop that is well stocked, look for GL Pease Chelsea Morning or Piccadilly. These are light English blends that are well suited for beginning with. Other makers have similar blends.

The biggest problem with flavored blends. Aromatics. Is that so often they do not taste that good. Rarely does cherry blends have any cherry taste. They do not always have a cherry scent to please others.

I have little trouble with British aromatics. But those can be a world unto themselves. Flavorings described as "old ladies undies" and "dead mouse in a tin" can be very, very accurate.

Enjoy the journey.