Breaking in my Jesse Jones Brandy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Well guys and girls, I am even more excited about this outstanding pipe now, than I was when Jesse had her on the workbench and sending me the pics!

I decided to dedicate this little brandy to a 14 year old tin of McCranie's Red Flake from the 1983 season, which I had been keeping in my cellar. After cracking the tin, I let it rest for an entire month, periodically opening the tin and letting some fresh air get to the tobacco.

After the 30 days was up, I pulled a few flakes out, and used the cube cut method. I gave the tobacco a couple hours to dry, and eagerly filled her up. Once I got the charring lights accomplished, I settled in and began to enjoy. After I was about halfway thru the bowl, it dawned on me that this awesome little pipe had yet to gurgle. In fact, it seemed that there was no condensation forming in the stem whatsoever. In most of my pipes, I will experience some condensation buildup, and I will deal with this either by passing a pipe cleaner thru the stem, or simply tapping the stem out on a paper towel and allowing the moisture to be soaked up. I managed to carefully smoke the entire bowl to the bottom, without doing any internal damage to the briar. I let her cool off, passed a pipe cleaner thru the stem, and gave the pipe an entire week to rest before I loaded up bowl number 2.

I smoked the entire second bowl non stop, and it was a repeat performance, only this time, the pipe smoked noticeably cooler, and was easier to handle temp wise, than I remembered when smoking bowl number 1. I definitely took note that I again smoked the entire bowl, and not once did I experience any condensation in the stem. I again allowed the pipe to cool, ran another pipe cleaner thru the stem, and allowed the pipe to rest for another 7 days.

For the third bowl, I loaded the pipe to full capacity, and was very careful to get my tobacco lit dead center, so as not to scorch the rim of this gorgeous little pipe. With the bowl filled to maximum capacity, this pipe delivered a 2 hour and 15 minute smoke. Again, I was thrilled with the same repeat performance of experiencing zero gurgles or stem condensation. I was just amazed that this pipe smokes better than some of my high grade pipes, which I paid between $300 and $500. Again I noticed that the pipe stayed cool to the touch, even when I got into the last third of the bowl.

At this point, I became really curious about the internal drilling of the pipe, and checked it's bore as well as the drilling of the stem. I noticed that the briar was drilled to around 5/32, which is usually the middle of the road dimensions that most of my pipes have. I thought to myself, that if the briar has not been over drilled to say 11/32, then the secret of this pipes dry smoking ability undoubtedly lies in the stem dimensions. After I inspected the stem from both ends with a small penlight, it was obvious that Jesse spent quite a bit of attention to detail in finishing out the green cumberland stem. The stem itself is not overbored, but it is finished so well internally, that there most likely very little turbulance going on as the smoke passes thru the pipe.

I am not sure how many pipes Jesse has built in total, but I can tell you that my impression is that he definitely knows a lot about what he is doing as a carver, and pays as much attention to detail on the inside of his pipes, as he does the outside cosmetics.

Judging from some of the prices he is charging for his pipes, he is offering an outstanding bang for the buck for anyone who decides to purchase a pipe from him.

I am certainly impressed with his work, and I hope to be able to afford to purchase a few of his pipes before the demand for them inevitably increases. As most of you know, I was fortunate to win this pipe in a contest that Jesse held a few months back on his website. However, I can honestly say that if I had paid $350 for this pipe, I would be extremely pleased with the purchase.

Thanks again Jesse! I really hope you decide to continue with your pipe carving pursuits, because I certainly plan on purchasing a few of these classic English shapes, which you obviously excel in creating!

Here are the pics again, of this outstanding little flake pipe that has certainly become one of the top 3 pipes in my collection.....

I am a huge fan of the 2 Jesse Jones pipes I own, his workmanship is stellar and the quality of his briar (and morta) is amazing. I will own more of them!

Even prettier than a picture, eh? :)

Lovely have such a great, new friend on the rack.

I'm not surprised that is smokes so well, his reputation is really spreading. But, a dry, two hour smoke says a whole lot about the care with which a pipe was made. Thanks for sharing that experience!

That's a keeper for sure.

You mentioned that you're unsure how many pipes Jessie has made. Well I can tell you that he's been making pipes for... what?... 3 times as long as I have? Jessie has built many pipes and refined every detail through a lot of trial and error. Having gone through that process, he's now making really proficient pipes with great shaping, fit, and finish. As you've discovered, they also smoke like a dream. I personally think that Jessie is offering a killer deal for the pipes he's making.

I hope you enjoy that one for a long long time, Dutch.

Get 'em while they're hot, fellas! ;)

I have had the same experience with my Rhodesian. Top notch pipe!

Also, very nice review, my good man.

Awww shucks guys....:oops: 

I make pipes for you as much as I do for myself. Everyone should be able to afford a handmade briar pipe. That's my goal.

I can say Dutch, that if you're pleased with the one I sent you, my stem work has been improving ever since.

Unfortunately my real job is taking a lot of my time this month, but I should get back to my pipe per week production hopefully by mid September.

Thanks for the review, Dutch. I'm always trying to improve my craft.

Not enough adjectives to describe this beauty.  Love the grain.  Love that stem...gotta have some converts to my collection with that stem  as a centerpiece.

What beautiful craftsmanship. Congrats on a fine choice of such a classic shape. :cheers: 

Great review Dutch. A tribute to a master craftsman. Any chance (with Jesse's approval) that we could see some pic's of the drilling & stem work.

Hawker":sjdppmih said:
Great review Dutch. A tribute to a master craftsman. Any chance (with Jesse's approval) that we could see some pic's of the drilling & stem work.  
No objection here. I don't hide anything. In fact, for Dutch's contest pipe I posted progress photos:

https://s1234.photobucket.com/user/Ocelot55/story/17657

My airways are 5/32" 90% of the time. When I started I used 1/8", and they smoked well, but I like the provided control a slightly wider draw gives you. Any larger than 5/32" in a straight pipe and I'm always concerned about sucking up bits of tobacco into the draft hole. That will create quite a bit of condensation.

Hawker":k7acu34a said:
Hawker, I will post up a few stem pics in the next couple days. I have a cousin who is diabetic and in really bad shape that I need to go to the hospital and see. They operated on him yesterday and didn't think he would make it, but he did.

Once things settle down a little, I will post a few pics with the best lighting I can accomplish. My pics won't have the clarity that Neill regularly accomplishes, but I will try to do my best. Sometimes without experience and knowledge, it can be hard to get good results with the camera showing the inside pipe bowls and pipe stems.

Thanks for the comments guys. You know Jesse deserves a good word because he built a beautiful pipe, but the performance of the pipe is so impressive, I felt it deserved another thread. Like I told Eric in a PM, if the shank on this pipe ever cracks I will be sick. When I can afford it, I am going to ask Jesse to make me an identical larger version that I can dedicate to English blends. Kind of a matched pair of brandy's in two different sizes for both ends of the spectrum. 8) 

Dutch my meager vocabulary lacks the depth needed to describe what I see and feel while looking at that pipe. It's beyond magnificent and I'm serious when I say that I get a little quiver inside while looking at it. Awesome pipe. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I see a new pipe in my future.

AJ

Ocelot55":yyov7eil said:
Hawker":yyov7eil said:
No objection here. I don't hide anything. In fact, for Dutch's contest pipe I posted progress photos:

https://s1234.photobucket.com/user/Ocelot55/story/17657

My airways are 5/32" 90% of the time. When I started I used 1/8", and they smoked well, but I like the provided control a slightly wider draw gives you. Any larger than 5/32" in a straight pipe and I'm always concerned about sucking up bits of tobacco into the draft hole. That will create quite a bit of condensation.
Thanks Jesse great link/post.
Look forward to owning one of your pipes one day. Hopefully I can be quicker on the draw for your next Morta.

Hawker, I have used the brightest penlight I have, and there's just no way to get a clear pic of the inside of the stem on this pipe. Externally, it looks just like many of my other stems, but it's the internal drilling and finishing that is responsible for keeping turbulence and moisture accumulation to a minimum.

Another aspect of the stem that I really like, is that the rubber pipe bit I enjoy using has stayed in place very easily, with no distractions during smoking. This is just a fantastic little flake pipe, and an excellent example of "form following function!"

Dutch":z58p8dj1 said:
Hawker, I have used the brightest penlight I have, and there's just no way to get a clear pic of the inside of the stem on this pipe. Externally, it looks just like many of my other stems, but it's the internal drilling and finishing that is responsible for keeping turbulence and moisture accumulation to a minimum.

Another aspect of the stem that I really like, is that the rubber pipe bit I enjoy using has stayed in place very easily, with no distractions during smoking. This is just a fantastic little flake pipe, and an excellent example of "form following function!"
Thanks for trying Dutch. All the more reason to put a JJ on the want list. What better way to inspect the drilling and constuction than owning one. Don't have a Morta & would love to try one of Jesse's.
It's amazing how some pipes just seem to smolder along and smoke themselves. I guess that's what keeps us searching for more of them and trying to fiqure out just what makes them "work" the way they do.