Breaking In The Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless it's an older style of Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur pipe (and it doesn't look like a MM) it might be more difficult to build a cake in. Is there the traditional MM yellow sticker on the bottom or their logo branded into the hardwood plug on the bottom? MM pipes are soaked in a plaster of pares solution so that they are almost a hybrid cob/clay pipe. The cobs absorb the clay well and give them a very different character (and ability to resist burning) than an un-treated cob pipe.

If it's another brand, it might be bare cob and that, I would think (never had one, so this is just conjecture) would be hard to get a cake in and I would think it would burn easily?

Just my thoughts,

Natch

Natch":f0yvtgia said:
Unless it's an older style of Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur pipe (and it doesn't look like a MM) it might be more difficult to build a cake in. Is there the traditional MM yellow sticker on the bottom or their logo branded into the hardwood plug on the bottom? MM pipes are soaked in a plaster of pares solution so that they are almost a hybrid cob/clay pipe. The cobs absorb the clay well and give them a very different character (and ability to resist burning) than an un-treated cob pipe.

If it's another brand, it might be bare cob and that, I would think (never had one, so this is just conjecture) would be hard to get a cake in and I would think it would burn easily?

Just my thoughts,

Natch
Interesting Natch!
I didn't know that some are different!!
Thanks for sharing!

I have a couple MM Country Gentleman pipes, which have the plaster of paris, and a new MM Freehand Natural which doesn't. The Country Gents smoke great, but the natural cob is definitely a cooler smoke. I'll be buying more natural cob pipes in the future for sure!

velveteagle":341mk01k said:
MisterE I Double Dog Dare Ya.. :lol!:
Chuck..
Oh no! The dreaded double dog dare. No one can turn their back on it. You must follow through!

Centurian 803":y2yutva2 said:
velveteagle":y2yutva2 said:
MisterE I Double Dog Dare Ya.. :lol!:
Chuck..
Oh no! The dreaded double dog dare. No one can turn their back on it. You must follow through!
So be it E!!!!
WALNUT ,,,,,,,,,, Here we Come!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

this is the closest I've come to it. if it's like CH forget it!
this+wall+is+nuts.jpg

Falconer":6cvf0lh1 said:
this is the closest I've come to it. if it's like CH forget it!
this+wall+is+nuts.jpg
Now Now Valky, slow down there bro, it's all part of your tobacco education, as Muddler would say!!! :lol!: :lol!: Brick wall and all!!!!
Good one!

Natch said:

Well Natch it's a bare cob no MM sticker.. But it has been giving me much cooler smoking now.. Just returned from five days of camping and kayaking with a bunch of great people.. Got a chance to put good carbon coat on four pipes I took with me.. Used many gifted blends and enjoyed all of them. Now to catch up.. :D

Rule of thumb: 5Bros to break in every pipe. 5Bros smokes cool and clean to the bottom of the bowl, usually to a fine white/gray ash, while charring the sides of the bowl evenly. Very little aftertaste to contaminate future smokes. Walnut is always tasty after 4-6 bowls of 5Bros, though.

FYI, a cake is neither required or IMHO desired in the cobs. Cake would stop the cob from smoking as cool as it does.

I smoke mine then clean after each smoke. A paper towel twisted down in the bowl and turned several times, plus a couple of pipe cleaners down the stem and good to go.

petertschantz":n182ktm3 said:
FYI, a cake is neither required or IMHO desired in the cobs. Cake would stop the cob from smoking as cool as it does.

I smoke mine then clean after each smoke. A paper towel twisted down in the bowl and turned several times, plus a couple of pipe cleaners down the stem and good to go.
Agreed!

petertschantz":gljpxexw said:

Great info Bro's and I will look up the 5Bros blend also. I will be looking for a chunky looking freehand cob down the road.. One to work with.. Thanks Peter for all the cob info too.... :D
Chuck
Oh here is a photo I captured when we were camping by this beautiful river last weekend. These fellows were catching the last light to do some trout fishing.. Had to share..

VE stop posting those cool pics........ I can't seem to focus on my day job here!!!!!!!
Nice bro! :cheers: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":igv9a4h2 said:
VE stop posting those cool pics........ I can't seem to focus on my day job here!!!!!!!
Nice bro! :cheers: :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: I hear ya Piet.. I keep daydreaming about it. The drinks kept flowing and too much food.. So the pipe had a chance to cool off a bit .. I will try to restrain myself if I can.. NOT... :lol: :lol:
Did I tell ya about the camp fire ???

Dang VE, there you go again, and to make matters worse, I am stuck in the office right now!!!!!!!
Nice pic bro, now stop doing that!!!! :lol!:

well ya know Im actually itching pretty bad for some COB action.
I had a cob, that I used at work , when I got to take smoke breaks at work.
I smoked alot of Capt. Black out of it (when I first started smoking pipes).
Somehow I lost it though, and kinda wishing like hell I would have not.
I am gonna order a couple non-filtered MM cobs and a couple of Forever stems (they look sexy) next time I get a pipe allowence from the 5 feet of fury :cheers:

greasemunki85":0ijy9hec said:
well ya know Im actually itching pretty bad for some COB action.
I had a cob, that I used at work , when I got to take smoke breaks at work.
I smoked alot of Capt. Black out of it (when I first started smoking pipes).
Somehow I lost it though, and kinda wishing like hell I would have not.
I am gonna order a couple non-filtered MM cobs and a couple of Forever stems (they look sexy) next time I get a pipe allowence from the 5 feet of fury :cheers:
I hear ya grease... My girl lets me know just what she thinks most of the time.. The other times I am in trouble cause I did not guess what the heck she was hinting at.. But so far she has not gotten on my case with all these ebay scores.. Tell her I am saving money dear.. Which I am.. But getting back to the MM Cobs.. I got one a few weeks ago and its better each time I smoke it.. I am taking it out tonight with some type of yummy flake that was gifted to me. Good work pipe too.. Let me know how it goes.. Is your birthday coming up ?? Mom's get a tad soft if your good at birthdays..
Chuck... :cheers:

Chuck..ya gotta get yourself a MM Freehand,great smoker. Only drawback I've found is the shank may split. I had mine silver banded after re-glueing several times. Also if you get a new cob you can really enjoy that Walnut. I smoke it myself!!

Funn":upwf0o84 said:
Chuck..ya gotta get yourself a MM Freehand,great smoker. Only drawback I've found is the shank may split. I had mine silver banded after re-glueing several times. Also if you get a new cob you can really enjoy that Walnut. I smoke it myself!!
Hey Funn.. I will have to check out the MM Freehand.. They may make them with solid wood shank now. Otherwise I will get some fine copper wire and wrap it like a tip on a fishing pole and glue that baby solid. Taking the MM Great Dane Cob out tonight with some Germain's Brown Flake to chat with the boys at Deer Camp. :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..