Breaking In The Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velveteagle

Reaction score
Okay I picked up a 10 inch corn cob pipe on ebay from an estate. I got it pretty cheap and its got an oak shank ? Since It was sent near here it arrived day after mailing. I took it out and put some Walnut blend in it.. Wow.. Talk about nasty burnt taste.. I have never had a cob before so I imagine the inner part has to burn in a bit.. Tasting the burnt cob right now. I will take my time with it. This picture is from ebay and not a good one.. I can now say I have a cob pipe.. I just hope it does not take too long to burn it in so it will not taste like I am burning grape vine. :roll:
Chuck

wow, I haven't experienced that with any of the three cobs i have. There are plenty of folks with more experience than me, I'm sure some one will help you soon.

Nice looking pipe! Hope you get it squared away quick.

jhuggett":e6or9dwt said:
You sure it's not the Walnut you are tasting?
:cheers: I am smoking it in different pipes ( Walnut ) Its a great tobacco to break em in with. I have just a few other blends to try out in the cob. Will be ordering some other blends I have been reading up on on BoB. I will try some mello baccy today in the cob and see whats up. I think it was the fresh burn of the cob giving the taste.. Of course what do I know being such a new guy to the good blends out their.. Time will tell.. Thanks Brothers Of Briar...
Chuck..

Chuck I think you'll end up liking the cob quite a bit. I'm getting ready to order another Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, and a couple Walker's Forever Stems.

petertschantz":4qju5rdb said:
Chuck I think you'll end up liking the cob quite a bit. I'm getting ready to order another Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, and a couple Walker's Forever Stems.
I sure hope so.. I enjoy the bigger pipes. The cob just seems like its been around so very long. Many have enjoyed them. I shall give it a good break in and go from there.. The site where the good cobs are at show some beauties made well with the hardwood stems.. Mine has a band to keep the stem from splitting also.. Thanks again.. Will post later on outcome...
Chuck..

OK, ended up getting a Natural Freehand, another Country Gentleman, and some Danish bits. Mini-PAD attack I guess.

petertschantz":142sqav2 said:
OK, ended up getting a Natural Freehand, another Country Gentleman, and some Danish bits. Mini-PAD attack I guess.
Well it sounds like you had fun too.. Good luck..

MisterE":kh8xbf6k said:
You can imagine you're Gen. MacArthur saying "I will return" while smoking it! Hahaha. :D
Yea MisterE... I was thinking the same thing.. Have to give it some time then I can smoke it like a Rooster.. :D
Chuck..

velveteagle":uhvq553x said:
jhuggett":uhvq553x said:
:cheers: I am smoking it in different pipes ( Walnut ) Its a great tobacco to break em in with. I have just a few other blends to try out in the cob. Will be ordering some other blends I have been reading up on on BoB. I will try some mello baccy today in the cob and see whats up. I think it was the fresh burn of the cob giving the taste.. Of course what do I know being such a new guy to the good blends out their.. Time will tell.. Thanks Brothers Of Briar...
Chuck..
VE, sweet cob bro............. be careful you might hurt someone with that!!! :lol:
Ignore the dudes, Walnut is a great baccy. It is an on going BOB thing to poke at JP and myself for liking the stuff. It has become somewhat of a tradition here on the board to do so when that word WALNUT is used.
Ken calls it Walmut, or JP's compost............. :lol:

Walnut is a damn fine smoke!!!!!!
OK, fellas Hit me!! ...... but be careful JP is lurking.

On a more serious note, I don't really break in a cob, I just load up and smoke. It takes a bowl or 2 to get the crap varnish, cob, whatever taste that is present! I have only smoked the Missouri Meers tho, that one you have is very classy!

Piet Binsbergen said:
velveteagle":gd17c0wi said:
jhuggett":gd17c0wi said:

On a more serious note, I don't really break in a cob, I just load up and smoke. It takes a bowl or 2 to get the crap varnish, cob, whatever taste that is present! I have only smoked the Missouri Meers tho, that one you have is very classy!
Hey Piet.. Your a good sport.. Thanks.. Oh I like WALNUT. I will keep it on hand for the big pipes. Your right about breaking in the cob.. I noticed at the bottom of the pipe it was a bit thin but sealed well so I put some oven dry clay in the bottom of it and fired it up. The second batch of baccy smoked so much better.. It is a big pipe but I like it. Not heavy at all. I think I will use it when I go visit some of the farmers around where I live. With my straw cowboy work hat too.. Its has a hard wood shank that connects to a good bit with a hard ring to keep the bit from cracking it. Have a great weekend...
Chuck...

velveteagle said:
Piet Binsbergen":nkua3z6w said:
velveteagle":nkua3z6w said:
jhuggett":nkua3z6w said:

Hey Piet.. Your a good sport.. Thanks.. Oh I like WALNUT. I will keep it on hand for the big pipes. Your right about breaking in the cob.. I noticed at the bottom of the pipe it was a bit thin but sealed well so I put some oven dry clay in the bottom of it and fired it up. The second batch of baccy smoked so much better.. It is a big pipe but I like it. Not heavy at all. I think I will use it when I go visit some of the farmers around where I live. With my straw cowboy work hat too.. Its has a hard wood shank that connects to a good bit with a hard ring to keep the bit from cracking it. Have a great weekend...
Chuck...
Cool chuck, have a great one too!
BTW, I really really dig that cob you have bro!
And............welcome to the WALNUT CLUB, you make us proud bro!!

Piet Binsbergen said:
velveteagle":bd8ltlhi said:
Piet Binsbergen":bd8ltlhi said:
velveteagle":bd8ltlhi said:
jhuggett":bd8ltlhi said:

Chuck...
Cool chuck, have a great one too!
BTW, I really really dig that cob you have bro!
And............welcome to the WALNUT CLUB, you make us proud bro!!
I've never tried Walnut. For all the banter about it I almost feel obliged now!! :lol: