Breaking News: my daughter has a cough and sore throat.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We (especially me as I’ve had terrible pollen allergies since I was 15 or so) all take the new 24 hr. Antihistamines. I’m very regular in taking it...every morning before I eat...then wait for 30 minutes before food. Gives it time to be absorbed. The daughter person is too generally clueless to be consistent so we get a few big pollen days and it hits when she’s been lax...and Ka-boom. Not rocket science.

Local honey?

They say eating local honey, because then the bees are dealing with the same pollen we do, helps with allergies. It also has to be processed correctly, or all those medicinal benefits get zonked out of it. Can't be heated over a certain temp when filtering, etc. If you can stand to eat unfiltered, clover honey, it's the best. A little bee parts never hurt anyone, right? I'm no authority. Google it.

How does “bees...dealing with the same pollen we do, helps with allergies”?

Maybe I’m slow but there’s nothing in that that makes sense to me.  Are there any medical studies that have looked at it and concluded there’s a benefit?  I’m not arguing, I’m just curious.

Not sure how it would help other than increase your exposure to the pollen. Similar to getting the allergy shots. Eventually you'll build up a tolerance to it. Hopefully it was just allergies and you guys will be fine. On a related note Katie has been tested twice for C-19 and it's come back negative both times. She however does seem to have the flu. Good vibes headed your way though.

Jim

I would think that if one were to be allergic to the pollen then any exposure would not be positive. I took desensitization shots for YEARS til I went into the service.

But maybe in the case of being allergic to animal danders...the old phrase “hair of the dog” comes to mind.

Hope Katie kicks that flu far, far away. Good to hear from you.

Hey BH,

I'm glad to hear your daughter is well. We went through the same with my daughter - in -law in Florida. She works in a doctors office, someone in the office tested positive for C-19 so we thought for sure she had it....apparently not.

As far as taking local pollen and honey for allergies to pollen, as a beekeeper of 30 years I can say that many people have good results taking it. The key is to start months before the allergy season and start with 1 grain of pollen/day for several days to test for reactions then increase by one grain for a while longer until you can take a teaspoon/day. It should be pollen/honey collected from the region you live in.

I can only attest to what others have told me as I don't suffer from pollen allergies.

Beeman86 - Thanks much for your insights. So glad your daughter dodged the COVID bullet. We’re still OK here too...just gnashing our collective teeth at all the selfish morons who insist on going out there and putting all the rest of us at risk...as evidenced by the staggering statistics in most states re infection rates.

Re the “great pollen question” - I appreciate your significant experience and also that you honestly characterize your information as being based on hearsay.

Glad to hear your daughter is okay. I had a[the?] virus twice - April 15 and then again May 17 (I keep a journal :)). The first time I did some heavy rationalizing that it might be something I ate or allergies, as I had been very cautious due to very old in-laws, but the symptoms were exactly the same the second time around, except add on a fever.

While the symptoms apparently vary a lot from person to person, they are still probably going to be a combination that is strange to you, and when you have been through decades of colds, allergies and flu seasons, this should stick out like a sore thumb. The main thing was difficulty breathing despite a clear nose, and a dry cough from the chest, despite no sore throat. Also, more normal things like lethargy, cold sweats at night and inability to talk for very long due to the breathing thing.

Interestingly, flu season this year is practically non-existent. So our mask-wearing and social-distancing appears to be working - but much better for the flu than anything else.

Yeah, we’re very careful right now. It’s a very dangerous time. Compared to early in all this...Infection rates are skyrocketing while citizens are foolishly growing less strict about self managing...mingling and distancing. Mask use seems more prevalent however so that’s a big plus. I drive 50 miles a day to take my adult daughter to and from work just to keep her off mass transit. Fingers crossed.

Blackhorse":m1riud5v said:
It’s a very dangerous time. Compared to early in all this...Infection rates are skyrocketing while citizens are foolishly growing less strict about self managing...mingling and distancing.
Ain't that the truth. "But it is the end of the summer. I gotta vacation. I gotta go out to eat. We haven't seen our friends in months." My parents are prime candidates for this thing, but they've relaxed everything about it. They're DONE with being restricted in any sense. Not the best time to have chosen that route.

This is the problem with this thing being reported on 24/7 on every news cast, on every news station. It becomes noise. People stop hearing it.