Briar Break-in

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
I'm sure I could search the forums and find my answers, but I figured I'd post to give me a a chance to talk to and meet some more of you guys.

My first briar came earlier this week, a Savinelli Tortuga and I've smoked it twice so far to break it in. I've seen that many people break it in differently. Some smoke quarter or half bowls and slowly build up a cake. Some smoke whole bowls and just take it slow. I've only smoked it a couple times but the cake is already starting to build, except at the very bottom of the bowl.

Now, I am doing the full bowl smoke slowly method. Should I do some partial (quarter bowls) to build up cake on the bottom of the bowl? I also read somewhere you don't want to build too much cake down there and heave it block the draw.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing but make sure to smoke it until the very end? Or do I need as much or any cake at the very bottom?

Also, the couple times I've smoked it I used different tobaccos (Frog Morton Cellar and GL Pease Maltese Falcon). Should I stick to one during the break-in period or does it not matter?

Another noobie question is that of corncobs. I ordered a MM Country Gentleman which should arrive tomorrow. That way I have a cheaper pipe for trying some new blends, maybe the occasional aromatic so I can use my briar for English blends. I know a corncob doesn't need a break-in period, but is there any special care I need to take with it or anything I should know about corncobs?

Thanks!

Justin,
Seems you are on the right track with your "break-in" procedure! Continue doing the full bowl method ( I've done mine this way for several decades now) and the amt. od cake will build just fine. Myself I smoke a Red Va Flake as I smoke mostly Va's and like how a nice Red Va Flake builds the cake. Works for English/Balkans as well. As soon as you can get a few more briars as you really should let a briar rest for a day btwn smokes. Course this all depends on how often you smoke. Once a day, and one briar and one cob will work just fine alternateing pipes. Any more times and more briars and cobs would allow each to get a bit of "rest" btwn smokes. Stay with it as your're doing fine :twisted:

Justin, I too am new to pipes and have learned a ton from reading post and asking "noob" questions (checking the replies I received to some of my post should prove enlightening. Was enlightening to me at least). I do have a question for you however: As a new piper, how would you describe/what is your impression of, Frog Mortans cellar? Ive read reviews on it and it sounds like something I could really like, but at the same time Ive also read reviews on tobacco's i have and my conclusion is that either my pallet is just totally untrained and unrefined, or the reviewers are full of hot gas. Cause they're all going on about all the wonderful flavors and nuances of the blend, while I'm smoking it and scratching my head wondering what in the world they're talking about. :scratch:
As for MM's, they rock! I personally have two smaller pony's and a CG. I can get the pony's locally for under three dollars and they seem to work just fine for me. Smaller bowl and low price is good for sampling blends IMHO. :afro:

@monbla256 - thanks! I've smoked the briar twice so far, with a day of rest in between. My MM Corncob comes tomorrow so that should give me more smokes if I want them.

@fumus - The Frog Morton's Cellar seems to be an English blend that is close to being an aromatic. I found it to have a very pleasant sweetness, and the room note is a very delicious smell. I'm new to all of this as well, but with many saying it's near an aro you may enjoy it quite a bit. I really enjoyed the GL Pease Maltese Falcon, but I think it may have been nicotine heavy, because it hit me pretty hard early on. It was good though! I also have a tin of GL Pease Six Pence I look forward to trying, and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding and Scotty's Butternut Burley should arrive along with my MM country gentleman tomorrow.

@DGErwin11 - thanks! That article is a huge help!