Briar Spirit Pipes Project - asking for help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
I have no idea how to ask this of my much loved Brothers and Sisters of BoB, Walt suggested I ask you guys for your help in getting me moving forward properly in my Briar Spirit Pipe Project, to be honest I feel like I am not worthy of such kindness, I love you guys here so dearly and I know you would help me out if you could with smaller things but this is not so small, how does one go about asking for help, I just don't know.

Can I start with telling you what the Briar Spirit Pipe Project is about, this much I am comfortable with so I shall lose myself in that for a moment. Due to my own personal past I have lived a life of self loathing with a sense of personal worthlessness, this is a state forced upon me by the actions of people through my life, I have been forced to believe I am of no worth and have nothing to offer any one, it is not a state of being that is easy to live with. I quite recently discovered I am able to make pipes, not wonderfully right now of course but they are okay, the thing is I found myself connecting with the creative process on a level I thought myself incapable of, suddenly I found myself in a place I didn't recognise nor understand, before me was a physical object that I had created and it wasn't half bad, I felt something deep inside of me 'awakening', it felt uncomfortable at first but I had to accept the reality of it all, despite what abusers through my life had taught me to believe, I can do something good, I am not worthless or useless, I can 'DO' something I knew I couldn't do, I created something with my own two hands, suddenly I saw something in myself I thought impossible, I'm an Artist, a fledgling yes but I 'made something', I broke a lifelong habit of self loathing, those people were wrong and I wanted more of this feeling of self worth, so I tried making a second pipe, as I was working away this thing inside of me was stirring again, I found myself liking who I was as I worked, of course this ended as soon as I realised I had finished the creation, I sank back into doubting myself again.

Slowly but surely an idea began to form, would it be so crazy for me to become a pipe maker, yes, that was the thing of it, I could be beside my inner self more often, liking who I am for more intervals, but then a realisation struck home, I have no way of raising money to buy the tools, machinery and materials I would need to make this happen. So what if I could get it going, what would I want to do with the pipes I made, I knew immediately I didn't want to try to sell them for lots of money, that idea just made me feel horrible inside, the idea of turning my sense of self into something as base as a money making thing really upset me, this was a problem. So I had a great idea, why not make pipes and charge 'cost' plus a small amount on top to build up a small supply of stock and materials, I knew pipe collectors wouldn't want my pipes but there is a lot of folk in my situation who enjoy smoking a pipe but have little or no money, there was 'who' I wanted my pipes to go to, in time I would be able to make beautiful pipes and make them available to folk like myself for very little money, now this made my heart soar, ah yes, but how to start!

I had to start some where and had no money at all, the only things I had of any value at all were my late Brother's Army stuff, the idea of selling them cut so deeply I actually cried just thinking of it, I miss him so dearly. Well, I had to make a decision, sell it or forget the idea entirely, time to be a man and stop crying like a baby I said to myself. One of our neighbours knows this chap who loves Army stuff, I spoke to him and he asked his friend if he was interested, my Brothers gear was worth thousands of pounds, it was his collection of medals, de-commissioned guns, swords, 9 boxes of 'stuff' and Army clothing of all sorts, this chap pegged me instantly for being desperate, he offered me £300, I asked if he couldn't go a little higher, he started to walk away saying the old classic 'take it or leave, means nothing to me mate', with heavy and saddened heart I said I would take his offer.

Now to me £300 was like a small fortune in my hand, I was such a fool I thought it would get me to where I needed to go, all it got me was 8 pipe kits, 2 of which had holes in the tobacco chamber so the chap refunded me for two of them, so this left me with 6 pipe kits, no tools, no drill press no nothing else, just 6 pipe kits. I have two chaps who have paid me slightly more than I would have asked for the pipes I am to make, one of them I am working on today, the other is yet to be worked upon, another pipe I made a stupid error bending the stem and this has left me with a pipe I do not feel comfortable with trying to sell. As you can see, my brilliant idea has kind of turned around and kicked me in the bottom.

Walt contacted me and asked if there was anything he and my Brothers here on BoB could do to help me, I said of course, I need help in sourcing the tools a drill press and a bulk of Briar and acrylic stem rod but I told him I felt this was too much to. ask. Walt suggested I ask my Brothers and Sisters here on BoB to see if any of you would be willing to help me get my BSP Project under way. I have no idea how I am supposed to do this so I have opted to tell you guys where I was coming from and what my Project was about, well I have done that bit, so here I am with the bit that makes me feel awkward and and more than a little scared so I shall just say it and hope no one explodes at me, can my Brothers and Sisters here on BoB help me to get this Project under way?

To the BoB Team, if this is not okay to ask then know I will understand your deleting this topic and in such an eventuality know that I am sorry for offending any one.

My paypal email addy: cubbydawg AT live DOT co DOT uk

Well, obviously your fellow countrymen in the UK would be the most likely place to get tools, Kirky. No sense in spending so much money to have heavy tools shipped from the US to you...that's for sure.

One thing I do have to warn you about, though, is if anyone does invest in your (lovely!) idea of BSP, that means you'll be paying them back in pipes. The way I'd look at it: it's them seeding your education and experience. I wouldn't doubt if someone could help...

...I'd love to, my friend, but I'm broke as a joke. Nor do I have a warehouse full of drill presses and lathes secretly hidden in London. I did once, but they were requisitioned by the good Doctor. Something about the space/time continuum. :sigh:

8)

Have you considered organizing a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign?

Maybe it would help you outline a plan for yourself...budget, list of needed tools/equipment, etc.

PozzSka":0icjgmj8 said:
Have you considered organizing a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign?

Maybe it would help you outline a plan for yourself...budget, list of needed tools/equipment, etc.
This. :D

Kyle Weiss":6igmj5xa said:
 Nor do I have a warehouse full of drill presses and lathes secretly hidden in London.  I did once, but they were requisitioned by the good Doctor.  Something about the space/time continuum.   :sigh:
8)  
Dr. Who? :?: :suspect: 

Sorry, couldn't resist. :roll:

Oh, and I'm in. I have a bit extra on my Paypal account and this seems like the best use of it I have ever heard. Cant afford a lot but I will give whatever I can.

In case anyone is worried about fees or whatnot, it only cost me $0.38 to donate to Kirk directly via PayPal. Having never sent money overseas before I was concerned but it wasn't an issue at all.

PeePail is good for some things, sending money overseas is one of them. :)

8)

somedumbjerk":ied7e4it said:
In case anyone is worried about fees or whatnot, it only cost me $0.38 to donate to Kirk directly via PayPal. Having never sent money overseas before I was concerned but it wasn't an issue at all.
Really appreciate your rather generous contribution my friend, thank you very much, I wanted to say you'd helped me but you didn't answer my question about if you minded me telling folk, very glad to be able to say so now though, thank you again my friend.

leftover421":m15q3279 said:
Oh, and I'm in. I have a bit extra on my Paypal account and this seems like the best use of it I have ever heard. Cant afford a lot but I will give whatever I can.
I am so slow in the head at times, I didn't even notice you wrote that, I thought your post was just playing about with Kyle, that is so kind of you to offer, if you still feel that way my paypal addy is in the original post now. :heart: 

Kirk Fitzgerald":ma26f6uk said:
somedumbjerk":ma26f6uk said:
Really appreciate your rather generous contribution my friend, thank you very much, I wanted to say you'd helped me but you didn't answer my question about if you minded me telling folk, very glad to be able to say so now though, thank you again my friend.
Kirk, sorry I thought I had. I was in the middle of replying when I got a call from my boss essentially demoting me temporarily while the CFO figures out budgets. Got a bit sidetracked to say the least. At least I get a week before having to slave it in the cubicle again!

Ouch, that had to hurt my friend, sorry to hear that, don't sweat it Brother, totally understandable, life loves to throw us curve balls at every given opportunity huh. :heart: 

I have been so kindly granted enough help from my Brothers here on BoB and on Leaf N Bowl to finance the purchase of my first batch or Briar and some stem stock, waiting on deliveries from Spain & Germany now. By heavens, I had totally lost touch with the prices of things these days, buying the Briar and the Stems along with shipping from Spain & Germany and bank charges for making international purchases the cash is almost gone now. There is enough left to buy a few of the smaller tools I need but not for the press as well and the remaining tools needed.

I have re-worked a couple of the first pipes I made and am going to try selling those to raise some additional funds, I wanted to thank the guys who have helped me get this far, thank you so much guys, I have a list running and each of you shall be in receipt of a gift pipe made from top quality Briar when finances permit. I hate the whole asking for things, makes me feel odd to be honest but if there is any one else who can help me out in getting this project going that would be awesome, anyone helping out goes on the list, you guys are the best and I love you all as Brothers very deeply.

Regards,
Kirk.