Brigham bowl coating, modern pipe.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
I have my first Brigham. A bent billiard type pipe. I figured I'd give a filter pipe a fair shot by trying one that impresses me conceptually. I am finding that I like the pipe. The filter system does not interfere with my normal habits. However, the bowl coating seems to have a unique composition to me visually. And after just a few smokes, I've been pulling some of it off by the simple act of turning a bent pipe cleaner in the bowl after smokes. It seems like I could probably use a pipe nail edge and just scrape it all out after a smoke while it's warm. I don't really mind the coating nor would I mind to see it come out if it doesn't want to be there. But I do think it's odd that Brigham uses a coating that doesn't seem to me to want to stay in place. What do you think?

Richard Burley":629st6of said:
Pipe makers who use bowl coatings are silly faces! Stupid silly faces! :clown:
Well that reduces your choice of new pipes down to probably only 25% of pipes being made !! :twisted: :twisted: better stick with used pipes !! :twisted: :twisted:

I reckon bowl coatings are useful to protect the purchaser from the taste of green briar. But if and when they start coating cobs, I'll really protest. Until then, each to his own, blah, blah...

One of the advantages I can see in having a new pipe with a coated chamber is that they seem to build cake a little faster. As far as taste I don't detect any difference. YMMV. :)

AJ

IMO, when it comes to bowl coatings, it all depends on the maker.

Personally, I like to see a nekkid bowl when I buy a pipe, but if I were buying a pipe from certain highly qualified carvers, I wouldn't blink an eye. The only really big turn off for me is a coating that tastes horrible. I have only purchased one brand of pipe that had a fowl taste though.

Dutch":i2iaefhq said:
IMO, when it comes to bowl coatings, it all depends on the maker.

Personally, I like to see a nekkid bowl when I buy a pipe, but if I were buying a pipe from certain highly qualified carvers, I wouldn't blink an eye.
+1

Some guys like the idea of coatings, and that's fine. If a reputable maker uses a coating, I'd pretty much trust that he knows what he's doing.

But I'd have serious concerns about a less-than-reputable maker.

It would be way too easy to hide a crevice in the briar with a coating and then tell the customer later that he must have done something wrong and caused the crevice himself.

Wood is an amazingly variable product. It may not be a general production problem but could be just a one off fluke. It's possible that the chamber walls are just too slick and polished to give the coating anything to grab. I do not think this is a common issue with Brighams or you would be hearing others chime in about it happening to them as well. I personally would just remove it if it doesn't want to be there. As a general rule I don't care if a bowl is coated or not as long as it doesn't impart a bad taste to the smoke. I have had a few that were coated and tasted just awful. Once the coating was removed the bad taste went away within a few smokes. There again I've had uncoated bowls that tasted so bad I wanted to throw up every time I smoked them. You might try contacting Brian Levine and seeing what he thinks. He's the head rep for Brigham here in the states I think. You should be able to contact him through the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

Hope you figure out something suitable

Jim

Does Brigham still use clay as a bowl coat? I seem to recall that they were unique in that aspect. I like the idea of the rock maple filter, but I've never tried one.