Brigham Maritime Morning - A Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothnh

Reaction score
I'm told this is basically a relabeling of Brigham's Canadian Mr. B's D-Series: Rise and Shine recently introduced this past summer as Brigham's Maritime Morning (MM) here in the States.

MM was near the top of my "to try" bucket list because, being  "Fine Orientals blended with and balanced out by both bright and red Virginias," this was definitely in my wheelhouse, the price is reasonable, and it being blended by Master Blender R. Will (of Solani fame) then aged in the tins for more than 2 years before release clinched the deal  :) 

Popping the tin (a coin-type round tin, BTW, which better ensures successful long term aging), the tin note is a pleasant sweet and spicy, promising a fine smoking experience from top-quality leaves in the blend.

It's a ribbon cut and a little moist out of the tin, but didn't need drying.  I packed it in an Ashton Old Church XXX apple for this first smoke.  It lit easily and remained lit, with only one relight after dumping the ash half way through the bowl.

I was a bit surprised that there's a pinch of latakia in this one, which is fine by me, but anyone looking for a latakia blend may be disappointed in the MM.  The Virginias stand out, expertly blended to shine and provided their very pleasant sweetness throughout the smoke.  The Turkish and Orientals, provided in perfect increments, add a bit of spices with lightly leathery nuances.

MM smokes dry and cool, without bite if sipped.  Plenty of smoke, consistently flavorful throughout.  The Redhead, who rarely comments on the room note, found it "pleasant."

If MM's profile sounds good to you, give it a try  ;)   Recommended.

Seems interesting enough, the Latakia puts me on edge though, is it as inconspicuous as the Latakia found in GL.Pease Fillmore, I had no idea there was any in that blend and even knowing it is there now I still can detect it.

Briar Spirit":7lzi6x9l said:
Seems interesting enough, the Latakia puts me on edge though, is it as inconspicuous as the Latakia found in GL.Pease Fillmore, I had no idea there was any in that blend and even knowing it is there now I still can detect it.
I know many disagree, but I don't personally consider latakia as an oriental and I much prefer it if a blend contains latakia, the maker should flat out list it as such instead of labeling the blend as simply containing "orientals." Yet, the latakia in Maritime Morning is light and judiciously applied -- just a touch of lat, IMO.

If you've tried the Smokers' Haven Select Mixture (which I also enjoy), the Maritime Morning is much more flavorful, which, I think, is due to MM having more orientals -- but the lat content is about the same (lightly applied but present).

I hope that helps  :) 

I have not tried that blend, your topic here is reminding me of some light Lat' blends I used to thoroughly enjoy, not really suitable for this topic of course so i shall digress on that area. We don't have many of the blends available in the US here in the UK and importing can be, well let us just say 'awkward' and leave it at that in open forums. Should the opportunity arise though I shall most certainly investigate your suggestions, many thanks for your time and consideration, very much appreciated.  :sunny: 

This actually sounds like it would be good! Thanks for the review.

Jim

Thanks for the review, finally a blend that is not a latakia bomb that will please my senses. I love Orientals and just a minimum of latakia to smooth out a blend. Anything that can come close to Smokers Haven's Select Mixture is going to be a heavenly recipe. And smoking that blend in an Ashton sounds sublime. :cheers: 

Sounds like a classic Balkan mixture with it being Oriental forward with just a "touch" of Lat. I like Balkans so might have to give this one a try this next year. Nice review BTW. Thanks  :D 

Yes sir,
Balkan mixtures are tops when I look for a change of pace from Virginias and Burleys. Latakia bombs are not for me.