Broken Pipe - Fatman

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw him on last month, but there's still an unopened message from me waiting for a couple of months. That's all I can say.

Very concerning.

His ex was looking after him and she posted some developments using his log in. The last update was Jan 31, '18 from Lisa-

Fatman":75uw8b1x said:
It's Lisa again, the lady that hangs out with the Fatman.

You folks are wonderful! John has had a slough of get well cards and wishes and it has certainly brightened his day! He's read them all and we have them posted around his man cave. Thank you so much for thinking of him and letting him know you are doing so!

He's still working on talking. Typing/texting is going to be a way off but it's certainly something he is shooting for....
Radiation is done for now. Chemo starts up again in February. It will be double the dose it was before but taken only for 5 days every 28 days for 6 months. The radiation fried all the hair on the left side of his head but THE BEARD remains. The Beard says, "Radiation. Shmadiation. I'm here to stay!"

I will do another update soon as more info comes in. Thank you again for your prayers and good vibes!
This thread is here, with the post quoted on pg 3-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t36062-brief-update

Cheers,

RR

I spoke with Lisa today.  I had called while they were out to see the Doctor and she called back.  We chatted for a bit.  

Lisa told me to tell you all that John is not well.  That hospice care is being arranged and will soon be helping to keep him comfortable.  John has always been a generous and caring brother here on the board.  We can help him by sending cards, or letters of support.  He has not smoked a pipe in months, and even stopped smoking cigars.  So gifts of that type, however thoughtful, are not something he will be using.  I can hope that we will boost his mood with kind comments.

I also wanted to respect his privacy.  If you have his address from the cards we last send.  That address is still good.  For those of you who wish to mail a card, and do not have his address, PM me and I will pass it on to you.

I will make this thread a sticky for now.  If Lisa logs on with some news, hopefully it will be easy to find. (Moved to Life Events forum and left a shadow in the other forum.)

I never encountered Fatman, but this is sad news indeed. Our numbers are small. They need not get smaller. :(

Yah..... I figured .......

:fpalm:

I can provide a current addy too if anyone needs it.... Most distressing news.

Yeah, this really sucks. It’s not like we didn’t expect it at some point. Well...we will, each one of us, be there sooner or later. I just hope he knows how highly we all think of him. I think a letter reminding him is in order.

I was prepared to hear something like this. But it doesn't make it easier to take in. Of all the guys who this shouldn't be happening to, John is at the top of the list.

Cheers,

RR

One year for Secret Santa, Fatman got me as his target. Some of you guys always seem to make superb choices in gifting. Not that it is required. And it is a skill that I am not very good at. Fatman, John, is a master.

Of the varied assortment of hard to find stuff was a hand made coffee cup. Now, I do like my coffee. I grind my own beans. I do not roast coffee. Too much work. Whoever "Tom's Pots" is, he makes a fine coffee cup. I use it every day. It has the perfect handle. Good size. Has the Kobuk Coffee label on it.

Well of course I had to know all there was about Kobuk Coffee, and that led into learning about the Kobuk River. That perhaps some of the first people crossed to North America there. 14,000 years ago it seems. I liked the cup so much I had to have more. I now have several.

All that from one generous gift that I use all the time. If I have not already said it. Thank you, Fatman! :sunny:

Another Fatman story...As PART of a bombing thing...knowing that I like, collect and make knives, John sent me a hand knapped obsidian knife with a hand made sheath. Yeah, pretty darn special. Moreover, it was made, of course, in Alaska where I lived for over eight years and he now resides. So we both have that common history. Talk about special. So...I treasure things like his gift above all others. It now hangs on a hook next to my bathroom mirror along with two other items guys here have gifted me over the years. So I see it and think of John and his kindness at least every morning. When I’m gone it will go to my son, along with some of the things that I’ve made and set aside. It’s that special to me. Understand, it’s not a museum piece...probably didn’t cost him much.  I suppose others might look at it as a tourist item, made for that purpose. But to me, knowing it’s source and how it came to me, it’s personal value is nearly beyond measure. When (hopefully many many years down the road) it goes to my son it will be accompanied by a note explaining the above, explaining that it represents the life lesson of being generous to people...not just family and close friends...and how it can greatly affect others. It’s sort of like the effect a drop has in a pond. It’s a small act in the greater scheme of things but the ripples it causes can go very far.