Broken Pipe - Fatman

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'll be missed for so many things, all of them good. John was a special man.

Very sad news indeed, I never met Fatman in person but was extremely touched by him through this forum. I will light a pipe and puff away in rememberance of him. Rest in peace kind sir and Godspeed.

Spoke with Lisa again.  

The obituary will not make the local paper in time for the Tuesday memorial service to be held, probably at their church.  Lisa, or a relative may post more information as that gets determined.  

John and Lisa are, or were, aware of some local folks/charities that could use a bit of help this time of year, and I think Lisa will get details to us for those who wish to give in John's memory.

Also, the other service should be at a brewery location in San Diego County.  Stone Brewery.  Probably between Christmas and New Year's Day.

Again, details will firm up and Lisa will try to get word to us.

I read of John's passing yesterday but chose not to post immediately; whilst it was on the horizon, receiving the news was tough.

It was a privilege to make John's acquaintance through the BoB. I'll remember him as a kind, generous and giving man who, by no coincidence I'm sure, was the double of Saint Nick.

Here's to you old chap. Rest peacefully friend.

Truly a Black Friday...John...you will always be in our hearts...prayers for strength for your family. Sad news, indeed.

Sad to hear this news, R.I.P John, you made many true friends on BoB.

I will add my condolences to John's family and friends here as well. I didn't get the opportunity to interact with Fatman myself, but his impact on this forum is obvious from the great number of posts by and about him. He will be missed.

This news sucks. Sad to hear of John's passing. Was told once, that "if a person was worth loving, then they are worth mourning". So, we mourn...

Hello chaps, I haven't been around in ages, but I wanted to pop in to pay my respects to John. He was such a kind and giving soul and the world is a bit darker without him in it. I've wiped more than a couple of tears from my eyes this morning. Peace and love to his family.

Briarbabe":02kbfovk said:
Hello chaps, I haven't been around in ages, but I wanted to pop in to pay my respects to John. He was such a kind and giving soul and the world is a bit darker without him in it. I've wiped more than a couple of tears from my eyes this morning. Peace and love to his family.
I understand. I'm still trying to wrap my emotions around this. On one hand, I am glad of the end of his suffering. On the other hand, I feel the selfishness of not having him available. It's become a bitter sweet cup. One that I almost feel is forced upon my palette, and though I am hesitant to drink from it, I feel obligated to finish it to the bottom.

Good to see you posting BB. As others have said, don't be a stranger.

Damn. I hoped, as we all did, that things would go differently, but am thankful to have had enjoyed John's friendship for as long as I did. He was one of the gentlest, more gracious, and giving people I've ever met anywhere, and the world is colder for his absence. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

I was just about to give Birthday greetings to those celebrating, I’m sure they won’t mind if I postpone that until tomorrow. Rest In Peace Fatman we never gave up on you but at least you will meet many brethren of the pipe.
banjo