Broken Pipe - Frank Burla

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
If you attended shows, you may have met Frank. Almost certainly at the Chicago Show.

"
To all CPCC members,

Please be aware that Frank Burla passed away this morning. He was suffering from multiple ailments, amongst them stage 4 cancer. He had recently spent some time in the hospital and was in a rehabilitation center when his family was notified of his passing.

His wife has informed me that there will be just a private ceremony for his immediate family and then burial. No service will be held and there is no need for flowers to be sent to the family.

Frank Burla was a special person in the pipe smoking community................a very special person.

Paul Bender
Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club"

Sad News. I first met Frank in the early nineties when I called him about visiting his Museum. He invited me over that day and we were friends since. I always enjoyed hanging out with him at Pipe Shows. He was a great promoter of the hobby and especially for His Chicagoland International Pipe and Tobacciana Show. RIP Frank

Frank Burla, 77, of Bradenton, FL passed away October 5, 2021. He was a loving husband of Annette; father of Laura Entwistle and Lisa Studer; grandpa of Emily & Madeline Entwistle; father-in-law of Jim Entwistle and Chad Studer and friend to many who would tell you how generous, intelligent and gregarious he was. Frank grew up in Chicago Heights, the only son of Peter and Nancy Burla and married Annette in 1971. They settled in the Naperville, IL area where they raised their family. They were happily married for 50 wonderful years, which they just celebrated in June of this year with their family.

Frank served in the US Armed Forces (Army) for four years and was a Vietnam Veteran who loved this country. After the military, he went to spend his career as an agent in the Federal Bureau of Investigation….making it a life-time of service and dedication to our country.

Frank made a name for himself by helping to formalize the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club and starting its annual International Show that still runs today and is the largest in the US. Frank passionately served as Show Director and mentor for many in the hobby for nearly 25 years and was a museum curator for his own personal antique pipe museum, which was widely visited from collectors all over the world.

Frank and Annette relocated to the Bradenton area in March of 2018 to be closer to their daughter and grandchildren. Frank quickly made close friends due to his love for poker and intelligent conversation, and would often call his poker friends "his medicine". He lived life to the fullest until the very end. His energy and spirit will long be remembered. He is now enjoying his eternal reward in Heaven.

Services with Military Honors will be 10:30AM Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at the graveside Sarasota National Cemetery, 9810 State Road 72, Sarasota, FL 34241.