Broken Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Dear brothers,

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I must inform you of the passing of Pieter Claasen a.k.a. SpeedyPete.

Pieter was diagnosed with colon cancer in late March and underwent surgery on 17 April. He never fully recovered and passed away in hospital earlier today.

It was on this forum that I 'met' Pieter when I once again took up the pipe a few years back, and it was he who in large part introduced me to the broader aspects of pipes and pipe collecting. He also introduced me into the fold of our local pipe club, which led to the forging of many fine and valued friendships.

He was a generous and kind-hearted man, always more than willing to freely share his vast knowledge of pipe smoking and collecting, which he accumulated over a decades long love of the hobby. Since in many ways he was my pipe mentor I had come to call him "Ouboet", an Afrikaans term of endearment for an older brother.

I shall miss him dearly.

Rest in peace, Ouboet.

This is sad news. Pieter was a regular around here and a great person. May he rest in peace.

Thoughts and prayers to Pete's family. May he Rest in Peace.

Oh boy, 'Broken Pipes' are never an easy read.

I didn't know him personally but I did enjoy his contributions to the BoB.

Rest easy Pieter. Warmest thoughts for you and your family.

He was a regular here and will be missed. Our tastes were often congruent in pipesmokerly things. Sad news indeed, but thanks for posting.

Sad news indeed. Always came across as a very good brother. May he rest in peace now.

Always sad news to hear. I've met a very special brother here on BoB. We've communicated daily since then...close to 5 years...and I consider him a brother as close as my familial brother.

BoB is a special place. I'll miss Pieter's thoughts and keep him in my prayers. May he rest in eternal peace.

Walt

I'm stunned :( :( SpeedyPete gone??? It just can't be :( We've lost a fine Brother. Soar with the angels, ol' buddy!! FTRPLT