Bronx Pipe Smoking Society

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've never eaten Beaver with Rosemary but it's on my bucket list,,,,,,

mark":63xshl40 said:
Well I've never eaten Beaver with Rosemary but it's on my bucket list,,,,,,

I...I....I......best not comment on this :lol:

Would you believe I was born in the Bronx and lived there until I was 16yrs old. Never knew the building existed. It looks like a treasure and it does not appear to have been vandalized. Great venue for a pipe gathering. Should get a heating system installed for winter time gatherings. I wonder if our brother Bronxbill saw this post.

What no Squirrel or Nutria or Marsh Hen. This couldn't have been a true small game dinner. Now the Beaver does sound good I like mine with mint sauce.

The Cheif

You wouldn't want to eat a local squirrel from the NYC area, trust me--what they eat is a total horrorshow.

As a kid growing up in the Bronx ( I moved in 1979) I can remember several of the Irish and Italian social clubs having those kinds of dinners. Most of their member were hunters and the bill of fare was very varied as far as wild life went. I don't think beaver was on the menu in those day though. I have actually been inside that old courthouse, I used to work at 161st St and 3rd Ave.

For the benefit of you guys, Bronxbill and I have privately PM'ed each other. We both have the same birthday one year apart. I'm a Bronx native but moved from the Bronx in 1964. My grandparents lived on 161st St and Walton Ave. just across the street from the "New" Bronx County Court built I read in the '30s I believe, and my new daughter-in-law is an Asst. District Attorney presently in the Bronx. Her office is on 161st St just East of Grand Concourse I guess just blocks from the old Court on Third Ave. Amazing how really small the world is.

I would just love to attend a pipe club meeting there, however, I would certainly bring my own pastrami on rye. The beaver looks like a definite stomach turn.

Thanks for posting though I've never had the urge nor desire to live anywhere close to the Bronx, this event would definitely be worth attending for the food.
With my background in natural resource management, several of my co-workers and friends would get together for wild game suppers with the intent of who could bring the most unusual item. Baron Ambrosia would have been the "hit" of those get togethers.

And I learned a new word "locavore".
from Merriam-Webster "Definition of LOCAVORE. : one who eats foods grown locally whenever possible"

Thanks again,
Jim