brothers of briar pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
uh-oh! since i have not seen any posts regarding this most important issue, i figgered id be the one to bring it up. Have there been, or are there any plans for a BoB pipe? A thought, how about from an american carver? mmmmm..perhaps an up and coming carver, perhaps a billiard? perhaps a bulldog? mayhaps an avant-garde shape like a blowfish?mmmm..... thoughts stirring with the possibilities :lol:

We were going to have a limited release corn cob but we couldn't find a carver who'd do it for under two bucks.

This one has been talked about several times here and over on the old Knox board (BoBs predecessor). We are such a diverse and interesting lot that apparently we can't agree on a damned thing, especially something like this. After several years of ongoing negotiations we are ignoring the matter to the best of our abilities.

:afro:

Each year my pipe club (The Sherlock Holmes of Boston) commisions a club pipe. For the last four years I've been the one who sets the whole thing up.We've had about seven made so far from makers like Ashton,Mark Tinsky and Joe Skoda. This year we've asked Kaywoodie to make them.It's to be a large sandblasted canadian with a choice of natural or dark stain.These are'nt your grandfather's Kaywoods either! These are fully hand made pipes which carry a price tag of around $135.00.

The bottom line is this. A whole bunch of folks will never agree on a finish,shape or size! One person has to be appointed to do them and it has to be up to him and the pipecarver as to what they will look like! Taste is such a subjective thing.What you may love I may hate.

More often than not my fellow club members are happy with the pipe that's been designed though they may not have been thrilled about it initally.Onnce they're done there's always a couple of folks who wished they had bought one after seeing them!

Dock

Danish_Pipe_Guy":4wjb5uit said:
This year we've asked Kaywoodie to make them.It's to be a large sandblasted canadian with a choice of natural or dark stain.These are'nt your grandfather's Kaywoods either! These are fully hand made pipes which carry a price tag of around $135.00.

Dock
Bill Feuerbach is making some very fine pipes at S. M. Frank (Kaywoodie)! The "new era" Kaywoodies are outstanding. Even the lesser lines with push stems are great pipes for the money. They are very good at working with various groups for comissioned pipes. http://www.smfrankcoinc.com/index.htm

I have 2 Kaywoodies that I have purchased in the last 6 months. One is a handmade tall stack and the other is a 13b reissue. Both of these pipes are excellent smokers and the aesthetics on both are very, very good for the money. I would support a BoB pipe from any NAC.

This seems to be a common problem for clubs and forums alike. It's not easy for the pipemaker, either, because he will know there will be a few people not keen on the size, shape or finish of the pipe. This is cause for concern for a pipe maker who wants every purchaser to 100% happy with the pipe. Perhaps this isn't such a big issue with high production pipe makers.

I discovered a way around it. Last year I made the TSPTC (Tri State Pipe and Tobacco Club) pipes, and offered 4 different shapes to choose from. Each pipe was still stamped with the correct nomenclature even though the shapes were different. The feedback surrounding this idea was good. It's a possible solution, at any rate.

I've always thought it would be great to have a forum pipe. I think the biggest problem over at Knox was getting the OK from the Knox people if I remember right. Carlos was working with them but that was when they were making a lot of changes.

larrysson":vfeda1x6 said:
This seems to be a common problem for clubs and forums alike. It's not easy for the pipemaker, either, because he will know there will be a few people not keen on the size, shape or finish of the pipe. This is cause for concern for a pipe maker who wants every purchaser to 100% happy with the pipe. Perhaps this isn't such a big issue with high production pipe makers.

I discovered a way around it. Last year I made the TSPTC (Tri State Pipe and Tobacco Club) pipes, and offered 4 different shapes to choose from. Each pipe was still stamped with the correct nomenclature even though the shapes were different. The feedback surrounding this idea was good. It's a possible solution, at any rate.
I like the sounds of this. Would provide some choice without forcing the carver to try to meet every individual demand.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":rkx1lduw said:
Each year my pipe club (The Sherlock Holmes of Boston) commisions a club pipe. For the last four years I've been the one who sets the whole thing up.We've had about seven made so far from makers like Ashton,Mark Tinsky and Joe Skoda. This year we've asked Kaywoodie to make them.It's to be a large sandblasted canadian with a choice of natural or dark stain.These are'nt your grandfather's Kaywoods either! These are fully hand made pipes which carry a price tag of around $135.00.

The bottom line is this. A whole bunch of folks will never agree on a finish,shape or size! One person has to be appointed to do them and it has to be up to him and the pipecarver as to what they will look like! Taste is such a subjective thing.What you may love I may hate.

More often than not my fellow club members are happy with the pipe that's been designed though they may not have been thrilled about it initally.Onnce they're done there's always a couple of folks who wished they had bought one after seeing them!

Dock

yep, not everybody will be happy. i'm in this situation now, instead of taking a vote and dragging it on for weeks maybe months, what i did was select a few guys (3) to come up with a club pipe for our club, the only thing i told them was keep it simple and affordable, for everybody to able to get one if they wanted. our guys did a bang up job and we'll have a sandblasted pot and smooth pot for 100/150. it took them 2 days to figure it out, who knows how long it would have took if we went the ask everybody what they want way.

We had a forum pipe 4 years in a row over on the old Stoker's Haven board. They were all by different carvers and one year they were meerschaum and the carver offered 2 different shapes in either smooth or lattice. I got a lattice poker. One year Mike Rutt of Mars Cigars made the arrangements for us with an English made pipe, one year they were all made by Kirk Bosi and the last year they were a Canadian by Moretti.

frankluke":ohpvqz7h said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":ohpvqz7h said:

Dock

i told them was keep it simple and affordable, for everybody to able to get one if they wanted.
Keeping it simple and affordable IMHO is the most important aspect. You want it to be attainable for everyone on the board and not everyone can afford an expensive high grade pipe.

Maybe we could do an online vote! We could pick a couple of shapes, set a certain time limit, then whatever shape wins out, bam; thats the shape. Democracy in action!

The governing council of BoB's is discussing the possibility of us making a board pipe now.When I get more details I will pass them along and ask for a bit of input then.....

There's nothing definite yet one way or the other....Stay tuned :lol:

Best,
D.J.

Who ever makes it, it has to be a billiard.... BoB = Brothers of Briar AND Boring old Billiard.

Too bad you can't have 4 to choose from when picking a wife or significant other.

For the pipe, do not require payment in advance until viewed and ready to ship.

CP":gr0411eu said:
For the pipe, do not require payment in advance until viewed and ready to ship.
It would be unreasonable to expect a carver to guarantee a certain number of specifically marked pipes without knowing if he can move all of them. If I was a carver I wouldn't risk some picky ass member ordering a pipe and then backing out at the last minute, leaving me with a pipe I might not be able to sell.

I say if you request a forum/club pipe you better be prepared to pay!

Justpipes":c78il62p said:
,,,,,,,,some picky ass member,,,,,,,,,,
I was asked ONCE to pay in advance for a member to member tobacco purchase. Imagine that. Of course I canceled the deal. I was insulted.

A forum pipe would be entirely different. I agree, JP. Pony up, in good faith. I can't imagine a carver risking his reputation by stiffing us. Reputations are never squandered. The word gets out.

Well,seeing that the big show in Chicago will be next week and many of the carvers will be there,I guess someone can make some inquiries and let us know
about it.

Winslow

LOL... Wait for the Chicago show to get the ball rolling???? Ummm yeah ok :D

Ok Folks.... I posted a thread about our potential pipes over in "The Round Table" section. Please read and respond to the five questions there.......

Best,
D.J.