Brothers: What's Your Favorite Aged Flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
I am new to cellaring tobaccos. What are your favorite aged flakes? Currently I have stashed: PS Luxury Twist, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Full Virginia Flake. I have not tried these after aging -- if anyone has tried these after some aging, please give a quick review! Also, has anyone tried aged UF? Am I correct (with my limited knowledge) that most tobaccos will age significantly after three months of cellaring? Thanks, and I most appreciate the sharing of knowledge!

I'm not a flake man but after trying C&D Exhausted Rooster I put a few tins up and will be aging more. Dang good!!!

Even' All, Too many to note, but "all-time" fav. Bosun Cut Plug, currently smking '05 have about 4# of this right now, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Frigid Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: :pale: :penguin:

Trout Bum":8l8xmbl2 said:
I am new to cellaring tobaccos. What are your favorite aged flakes? Currently I have stashed: PS Luxury Twist, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Full Virginia Flake. I have not tried these after aging -- if anyone has tried these after some aging, please give a quick review! Also, has anyone tried aged UF? Am I correct (with my limited knowledge) that most tobaccos will age significantly after three months of cellaring? Thanks, and I most appreciate the sharing of knowledge!
IMHO 3 months is not really a significant 'milestone' a year or more is a pretty good starting point, though some blends do change some at 6 months. I know that a year sound like a long time, however purchasing two tins at once gets you there faster, one to smoke and one to age. ;) Enjoy your endeavors at your pace.

On FVF I'm lucky enough to have 1 pound (unopened) and a couple of ounces in current rotation from the year 2000! 'Superlative' is a good beginning of a description for this leaf with that kind of age on it! IMHO FVF is one of the very best flakes out there for long term aging.

On PS LTF I purchase this by the pound usually in several pounds at a time. I enjoy it 'fresh' and will open a pound, set some aside to enjoy immediately and jar the rest for long term storage, the other packages generally get set aside for long term aging. My currently smoked stash is just over 2 years old (from time of purchase). It truly deepens and mellows with age.

My list of other candidates for aging is broad:

Solani 633
Solani Silver Flake
Solani Aged Burley Flake
G&H Brite CR Flake
SG Sam's Flake
SG 1792 Flake
GLP Fillmore
Wessex Burley Slice
McClelland Blackwoods Flake
McClelland St. James Woods
McClelland 2015
McClelland Dark Star
Rattray Marlin Flake
Reiner Long Golden Flake

I've probably left out a few :lol:

Had to go inventory the ol' cellar to answer this one :lol: Peretti's Cambridge English Flake, C&D's SOTE Flake & Sunset Harbor Flake, Dunhill Light Flake, Troost Slices, McCrainie's Dundee Blend (a broken flake), and Full Va Flake. Georgetown Tobacco has some flakes and broken flakes I've enjoyed in the past; none in the cellar as of now! :( :pipe: FTRPLT

Aged flakes I really enjoyed were Solani 633, Hamborger Veermeister, and F&T Cut VA Plug.

As for aging any tobaccos, two years seems to work for me.

Jim

I was gonna say TJ and ol' Dawg, but sine you're obviously talking about tobacco, my favorite "aged flake" begins and ends with Sam Gawith FVF. The bulk doesn't "blossom" quite as well as the tinned version, but at a year it's a remarkably smoother, richer, more flavorful smoke, and every year after that only adds to to its enrichment.

Buy five tins of FVF, and smoke one per year for the next five years... after year one, you'll find yourself putting away more for future enjoyment.

If you want to try a sample of aged bulk FVF, PM me your address and I'll put some in the mail to you.

Thanks JT -- what a great guy and friendly brother -- PM SENT!

I am super duper stoked, do-da, do-da, I am super duper stoked, oh-da-do-da-day...

Even though I always hate to agree with JT, Full Virginia Flake is a no brainer for aging. The oldest I've smoked is two years but it kicks butt.

BTW, I about spit on the old flake joke. :lol:

LOL, Troutbum!
I'm fairly certain that "great guy" and "friendly brother" would be the two most commonly used phrases to identify me if a survey were done here... and if it isn't, just let me know who the miserable bastards were who said otherwise and I'll..... ha, ha, j/k.

No problem on the sample of FVF, my man. I've had the good fortune to run into many generous brothers, myself, and it always provides a warm spot in my tiny little heart to do a brother a good deed... especially an FVF fan... helps with my poor circulation, too, you know.

Don't listen to Jason. He loves me, and he loves to agree with me... I just haven't been very agreeable lately. But, when I went in for the angioplasty, they found that I actually do have a heart... a little atrophied from lack of use, maybe, but it's still beating away, just the same. After the doctor inserted the balloon to open up the blockages caused by all the sorrow and misery left behind from two previous marriages, he said I should be back to my former self again in a couple of months. So, if I turn into a wisecracking smart-ass in the next couple of weeks, I guess we'll know who to blame, eh? :gatewheel:

JT":qruy2ul8 said:
when I went in for the angioplasty, they found that I actually do have a heart... a little atrophied from lack of use, maybe, but it's still beating away, just the same. After the doctor inserted the balloon to open up the blockages caused by all the sorrow and misery left behind from two previous marriages, he said I should be back to my former self again in a couple of months. So, if I turn into a wisecracking smart-ass in the next couple of weeks, I guess we'll know who to blame, eh? :gatewheel:
JT,
Maybe you should use this for your avatar.

:lol!:
I too have come to love FVF, and have been considering the purchace of a pound or two to cellar.
EJ

Add another vote for FVF - I buy it by the pound and put it in 8 oz. jars. I've got about five pounds in the cellar at the moment, and will soon add more.

JT wrote:
when I went in for the angioplasty, they found that I actually do have a heart... a little atrophied from lack of use, maybe, but it's still beating away, just the same. After the doctor inserted the balloon to open up the blockages caused by all the sorrow and misery left behind from two previous marriages, he said I should be back to my former self again in a couple of months. So, if I turn into a wisecracking smart-ass in the next couple of weeks, I guess we'll know who to blame, eh?
From a secret source---

There once was a BoB named JT
Who once had an angioplasty
Due to the piss in his vein
They replaced it with tin
So in the future it wouldn't get rusty.

:silent:

Original Cope's "Escudo"

Original Bell's "Three Nuns"

State Express "Roundells"

LOL, EJ! Thanks for the avatar suggestion; the dimensions of the heart appear to be just about right. Not only that, but the skin color is eerily reminiscent of mine this past summer when I was trying to pass a friggin’ kidney stone. Felt like someone was forcing an asteroid through my bladder…. when the damned jagged edged thing slipped through my urethra like a razor blade, that’s pretty much what it looked like too.

Thanks for the jingle, Jim... I chuckled out loud. Good news is: doc says if I keep exercising and taking my meds, I may not need any future plumbing work. Bad news is: this grain and oat diet is causing me to produce more horse-shit than ever before. Oh well, it's good to find a place where folks don't hold such things against a fella, eh?

JT -- when I read your description of what it was like to pass a kidney stone, I was in the middle of drinking a big ol' sip of sparkling water. I laughed so hard (I believe the asteroid comparison is what got me) that I just missed spewing said water all over my computer, and instead got my dog, who was of course faithfully sitting at my side, waiting for something big to happen, and, yes, something big DID happen, for in trying to miss spitting, mid-guffaw, all over my computer, I instead sprayed my dog full in the face.

And that's exactly how damn funny your kidney stone description was -- at least to me!

PS It also kind of scared me...

POOR DOG!

I passed a kidney stone not knowing what the HELL was going on! I fished it outta the bowl when I 'recovered my wits' and bit and took it to the AF Infirmary as I knew nothing was supposed to hurt that much, cause bleeding and go 'tink' in the bowl. It was confirmed by the flight surgeon as a kidney stone, he wondered how I had passed it! I told him I thought I was peeing barbed wire.

A round of antibiotics and I was right as rain in a few days, I was in my mid 20's then, it would probably kill me now.

TB.... I hope you'll pass along my apologies to your pet, as I'm a big dog lover. So much so, in fact, that I still maintain an album filled with photos of most of the ones I dated over the years....

BTW... the package went out today.

Kilted.... The description of your kidney stone experience pretty much mirrored the last couple of days of mine. The worst part for me, and for most of the "veterans" of these damned abominations that I've since spoken to, was the weeks of excruciating pain prior to the "final escape."

After 5 weeks of attempting to pass a 5 to 6mm jagged-edged "piss-teroid" through a tube (ureter) that's only 2 to 3mm wide, I was so happy when that damned thing finally came zipping out of my penis, you'd have thought I hit the jackpot and passed a pocket full of silver dollars. Last time I jumped up and down with that much enthusiasm was when my first ex-wife left me....

I had 'discomfort' prior to the 'giving birth to a pisstroid' experience, but then these were my younger years, and I drank heavily. I didn't attribute it to anything other than pay back for hearty partying. I had no real warning that anything serious was wrong. Yeah at times my kidneys ached, but when you were daily consuming at least a 12 pack of beer and riding motorcycles you kind of expect your kidneys to hurt. :affraid:

Young, dumb and full of cum was 'My Motto' :roll:

I hope I'm wiser than that now ... I'll call you again in 25 years and get back to you with the results :)