Bulk options for tinned tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonebeagle

Reaction score
I will preface by saying I know that most bulk versions of a particular blend aren't exact duplicates of tinned blends, but was curious as to what some of our more expereienced members may have discovered over the course of smoking different blends over the years.

I know they say McCelland 2035 and DarkStar are very similar, and my basis of this post is whether there is a comparable blend to the Frog Morton line from McClelland?

If anyone knows any bulks comparable to a particular tin, or if anyone has a question about a particular bulk vs. tin, please feel free to use this thread. I posted because of the Frog Morton, but I'm always looking for the best bang for my buck whether it be in a tin or in a bag regardless of the blend. :pipe:

lonebeagle":con1qzcj said:
I know that most bulk versions of a particular blend aren't exact duplicates of tinned blends
How so? Why would they make a different baccie to sell bulk vs tins? That makes no economic sense whatsoever. :confused:

Ramon":0xenterh said:
lonebeagle":0xenterh said:
I know that most bulk versions of a particular blend aren't exact duplicates of tinned blends
How so? Why would they make a different baccie to sell bulk vs tins? That makes no economic sense whatsoever. :confused:
I don't know for a fact that they aren't exactly the same which is why I posted this thread to see if there was in fact a bulk match for the Frog Mortons. To use 2035 vs DarkStar as an example since it's one of the only ones I have really had both of to compare the two. I have read, and through tasting both that DS is more or less 2035 that has been aged longer and is more refined. I'm not saying bulks aren't close or maybe even the same tobacco. I worded my initial post the wrong way to get my question across. I've heard and read of several people who have smoked both bulk and tinned of the same blend such as the Samuel Gawith/Dunhill blends and notice differences in the two upon smoking. I don't honestly know for sure, but it would make sense to me that they would take the better tobaccos and tin them, and the ones that don't quite cut it quality wise for a tin would be bulks. Nothing really wrong with the tobacco, just not enough to pass QC. What happens to the stuff that QC returns? I'm more asking about the stuff like McClelland that have all the bulk #'s, and wondering which blends they equate most to that are tinned.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry for taking your thread about the McKetchup blends off topic, but I was intrigued about that statement regarding bulk vs tins tobaccos generally speaking. I have not yet often had the chance to test the "same" baccie tins vs bulk version as I usually buy tins and bulk only if tins are not available. The blends I have tried tin vs bulk (Dunhill EMP and 965 and Nightcap), I have noticed minor differences, but I'd put them down to different age or moisture content rather than a difference in the blend. It would just a priori not make much sense to make the effort to make different versions of the same stuff for tins and bulk, that's all I'm saying. Sorry, but I dont know about your question regarding the McKetchup baccies. :bounce:

The only blends that I've smoked from both tins and bulk are
Haunted Bookshop, Three Friars and Old Joe Krantz.

I didn't notice any appreciable difference.

Ramon":9tdjzth1 said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry for taking your thread about the McKetchup blends off topic, but I was intrigued about that statement regarding bulk vs tins tobaccos generally speaking. I have not yet often had the chance to test the "same" baccie tins vs bulk version as I usually buy tins and bulk only if tins are not available. The blends I have tried tin vs bulk (Dunhill EMP and 965 and Nightcap), I have noticed minor differences, but I'd put them down to different age or moisture content rather than a difference in the blend. It would just a priori not make much sense to make the effort to make different versions of the same stuff for tins and bulk, that's all I'm saying. Sorry, but I dont know about your question regarding the McKetchup baccies. :bounce:
No apology necessary. I too have smoked some of the Dunhill tin and bulk. Nightcap and 965, but really didn't notice much difference between them. I'm a relatively newer smoker as well though, so who knows. As far as the McClelland stuff goes, I hated the brand when I first started smoking a pipe because of the ketchup smell. After smoking other stuff for awhile and coming back around to it again, I have come to love that smell for some reason. Their bulk blends intrigue me, and Frog Morton ATP and OTT are two of my favorite blends from them, so I was hoping that someone maybe had a bulk that would be comparable to them. I don't mind paying for the tins, but if I can get a bit more tobacco instead of the fancy metal tin for the same price, I'm all for it. Mason jars are easy to come by. :)
Like Escudo, which is my favorite Va/Per, I have switched to bulk LBE from Stokkebye because of the difference in price. Not the same brand or blend, but close enough to satisfy my tastes and I get alot more tobacco for my money.

Put a bulk tobacco up in an airtight jar (Mason jar,Ball jar) when it's freshly made, and you have duplicated what tinning it does : allows the oxygen around it to be used up by aerobic bacteria. After that, the anaerobic bacteria lurking inthe wings take over and begin the mellowing and smoothing process that characterise tinned tobaccos with some age on them.

:face:

I have bought Esoterica Pembroke in both tins and bulk and have not noticed any difference in taste. The same with Old Ironsides. I store mine in mason jars as soon as I get them home. The Pembroke came in sealed bags. You might contact McClellands and see what they suggest as a comparable Frog Morton bulk blend. They are usually pretty helpful when it comes to answering questions.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have found through reading tobaccoreviews that McClelland 5110 is basically Frog Morton, and I am thinking 2045 may be similar to FM Across the Pond. My next order I am going to try those two out and see if they are indeed equatable. 5125 is also one that's being compared to the FM line, so those 3 are a start anyhow. :pipe: