Burley questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Lately I've been enjoying Semois a lot which is the only straight burley I've ever tasted.
For a while I've been thinking about getting a tub of an American burley like PA, Granger, SWA, or Lane RR. I'm wondering is there any similiarity between any of those and Semois?
Which one do any of you recommend?
Do you recommend a different burley?

By the way if any of you like cigars but havent tried Semois youre missing out. Sometimes nutty. Sometimes musty. Highly recommended

Semois has an earthy quality that the others don't. And when you first light the others, you will probably think they are incredibly mild. This is deceptive; about halfway down the burley will start asserting itself, and you will recognize it as burley, sort of cigarish. I agree with your Semois/cigar recommendation. I like 'em all, but suggest buying a pouch instead of a tub for testing purposes.

For an OTC I like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. They are similar but PA is a little more robust.

My recommendation would be to get some Storm Front. It is only sold at 4noggins.com. While not technically an OTC blend, it has alot of the flavor characteristics of an OTC but has more depth where as Carter Hall and PA cal be one dimensional

no similarity. in fact they are very different . if you want to try something cigarish like semois...try scaferlatti caporal.

If you want to try the best American burley out there, try Uhle's Perfection Plug or any of the Peretti burley blends. Also worth mentioning, just as good but not American products, Wessex Burley Slices and Stokkebye ps702 Pressed Burley.

Puff Daddy":gwqk403w said:
If you want to try the best American burley out there, try Uhle's Perfection Plug or any of the Peretti burley blends.
Agreed!

Psmith--I have to ask, Psmith, as P.G. Wodehouse "Psmith in the City?" My favorite author,btw. :study:

Yes. Wodehouse is my favourite writer. Psmith is one of my favorite of his characters!
Psmith in the City. Great book about the drudgery of work and the lure of sport and open air. Who can't relate?

Yes indeed. I kinda like Freddy Threepwood. Loveable idiot. Don't know what he smoked, though. :shock:-- probably off topic, though

Psmith":79n8zasx said:
Thanks for responding guys.  Much appreciated.

Mr. Burley...among the OTC stalwarts (PA, SWA etc...) do you have a favorite?
Yeah, I thought your query was limited to the OTCs. My favorite, I suppose, would be Half and Half from the 1950s, probably because that's what my male relatives smoked when I was a toddler. I used to beg them to light up. The idea that that is what pipe tobacco should be is etched in my skull permanently, as a result. But I don't think it's the same today. The aromatic quality it had just isn't there. It was cheapened mercilessly in the '60s, by the addition of chopped homogenized leaf, as used in cigar binder. How do I know? I looked at it under a microscope. But it's been upgraded since. Nevertheless, it ain't the same.

I guess my pick would be Prince Albert, or possibly Carter Hall cut with PA. Granger is good. Sir Walter Raleigh has raving fans, and it does taste good, but I can't get it to burn. Seriously. No idea what the deal is. Too much PG? Bad packing technique? My recommendation is to read tobacco reviews, and buy pouches of whatever piques your curiosity.

Thanks Richard.
Prince Albert huh? As a Canadian I never grew up around these smells so all those OTCs are unknown to me. I remember yellow Sail and Amphora being around and not much else up in the Great White North.
I shall purchase a pouch of PA the next time I order stuff. Storm Front too because sounds pretty awesome and I love cigars.
Reading through the many reviews on TR everything seems to point to the regal one...the Prince.

PA is my preference for OTC tobaks, followed by CH and Granger. IMHO Granger does quite a bit better in a cob than a briar. If you want a LOL read, look up the Wodehouse short story, "Strawberries in Winter."

Back when I started smoking (over 40 years ago) I started with Granger and smoked it almost exclusively for 4/5 years. Sadly I have some kind of nasal reaction with Burley these days so I don't smoke blends with much if any of it in them. But I remember Granger being a nice smoke tastey smoke!! :twisted: :twisted:

I like Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake quite a bit.....................

When you guys talk about Semois, I'm assuming you're referring to the Taba Manil offerings (?) of which there are 3; La Bruneuse, La Petit Robin and Reserve du Patron. Does one of theswe in particular strike you as THE BEST or does it matter, in that ALL are great?

Last edited:
If you want one that does not shirk on the vitamin N try Cornell & Diehl’s “Kelly’s Coin”...and Old Joe Krantz!

It would be remiss if someone here didn’t at least mention Butternut Burley. It’s concocted by both Pipes and Cigars and 4 Noggins...where they call it Scotty’s Butternut Burley. You’ll find it very common that blenders will add a bit of flavoring to a blend. Additions like vanilla, cocoa & something like butterscotch are common. All Burley tobacco is sweetened, cased, etc. at some point in its multi step processing in order to be smokable. Otherwise it would be pretty nasty stuff.

Agree with the others who mentioned the Peretti DD and Uhle 00 blends...and others by the same blenders. I can’t jump on the OTC bandwagon when there are blends like the above available at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Prince Albert & Sir Walter Raleigh are my go to tobaccos....daily consumption.
Never cared for Carter Hall..it must be the virginia in it...Im not a fan of the virginia grassy quality.
Frankly, the cut of Carter Hall tobacco looks like shavings.....not so with the SWR and PA