Burleys for a Virginia Lover

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoke_House

Reaction score
I've decided my tobacco diet could use a bit more variety. I mostly smoke virginias (Rattrays HOTW & OG, FVF, Escudo, McConnells Red); latakia I've grown away from and aromatics don't do it for me. I like the natural taste of virginias. So its time to try burley blends, my only previous attempts being crap tasting pouches (not the heralded codgers e.g. Carter Hall, PA, etc.). I've made an initial order of C&D OJK, C&D Exhausted Rooster, and Solani Aged Flake. And of course added a new pipe! What other burley/virginia blends would you recommend? I do like flakes and I'm no stranger to perique. I'd like a few burley-more-than-virginia and a few virginia-more-than-burley...

Reiner Long Golden Flake is squarely in the "more VA than Burley" camp. (There's also a "touch" of Perique in that billing.) To my tastes, LGF uses good white burley to bring out the sweet, smooth Virginia characteristics. Might seem too much like a straight VA for the purposes of your experiment.

GLP's Barbary Coast is the converse: mostly cube-cut burley, with some VA and Perique to bring out the classic nutty burley flavors. (There's a note of brandy in there, too, but it ain't an aro. THe flavor serves the blend, not vice-versa.) BC is what first sold me on burley blends, something which I'm powerfully glad of.

That Solani Aged Burley Flake is an awesome smoke,you just reminded me I
have to get another tin.It is the kind of tobacco where you don't want to do anything else while smoking it,only savor the smoke,it stands by itself. :) :) :)

Winslow

C&D night train, it's more VA/bur but since you like exhausted rooster you'll like this, they taste similar but night train has a better nic kick.

also try pennington gap from C&D.

I'll second Doc's two suggestions. Two top notch tobaccos!

Night Train & Exhausted Rooster are excellent. I suggest you add Haunted Bookshop to your list - a milder cousin of OJK. You may also wish to give Riverboat Gambler a spin - it's highly rated by the burleyphiles, & Morley's Best if you like a little Latakia in the burley blend.

A few more suggestions--
Bulk-
Stokkebye's Cube Cut Burley
Stokkebye's Pressed Burley
Guy's Bluegrass Melody
Tin-
Peterson's University Flake

Ditto on Long Golden, Barbary Coast, OJK and Pennington Gap.

Jim

Solani Silver Flake is a VA/Burley that posts very strong review on Tobacco Reviews. I've just cracked my first tin and am still forming an opinion. I mostly smoke VAs that are similar to your list.

Mr_Houston":5smjqz71 said:
Solani Silver Flake is a VA/Burley that posts very strong review on Tobacco Reviews. I've just cracked my first tin and am still forming an opinion. I mostly smoke VAs that are similar to your list.
Solani Silver Flake is great. It is often forgotten that many of the Lakeland ropes, twists, and shags are mostly if not entirely Burley. Kendal Kentucky is a favorite shag, Brown Bogey a favorite twist, along with G&H Curly Cut Regular. I also love Sweet Rum Twist. And don't forget Pease's Cumberland, another mostly-Virginia that has a bit of the Burley iron fist in a velvet glove.

KenEven' All, I've been on a burley voyage lately, exploring Perrtti's & Uhle's blends and also C&D's entry's into the field, I found that I love them ALL!!! :D
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

more VA than burley=Orlik Golden Sliced
" burley " VA=Hearth & Home old companion, H&H LJ Heart Burley, PS cube cut
straight burley=5 Bros., PA choice blend

When I am in the mood for burley I just light up a bowl of the old drugstore blend "Sugar Barrel". It can be had for cheap at JR online. It is mostly burley with a touch of Va and a little sweetener added. The longer it sits after opening the better it gets. The sweetener which is not heavily applied subsides and the burlies really open up and get very buttery. Nothing complex but I am not sure that is one is looking for in a burley. Simple, Tasty and Cool burning.