Burleys, Granger, Velvet and Artful Codger YT Video

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've recently listened to a Russ Ouelette YT interview on tobacco types, and he mentioned that to get an idea of the taste of a burley try either Granger or Velvet because they were pretty much straight tobacco. I don't remember his exact words, but that's how I took it, so began reading on these two codger pipe tobaccos. I kind of lean toward Prince Albert at this time, but open to trying new codgers. I had a 5 year old remnant of an ounce of Granger bulk from 4noggins, and recently finished that. Thing is I don't recall any major impression other than it was a good smoke. In trying to look into Velvet, I came across a mention of a video by a guy going by "The Artful Codger" that did one on the history of Velvet, but I can't find the video on YT or through a Google search. Anybody remember this, and maybe have a link? Also, I've read BoB posts on Granger through a search, and noticed it pops up a lot in the "What are you smoking" thread, so anybody have any thoughts on why you like Granger, especially over Velvet? In looking at them on the Tobacco Reviews site, I see they are both owned by Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG), but Velvet is blended by Lane while Granger by STG. Swede

I enjoy Granger; just a good ol' Burley smokin' tobacco! Haven't tried Velvet since the mid '60's!! Carter Hall is primo good; I prefer it over Prince Albert (but I do like PA!!). Sir Walter Raleigh is popular with some here; I don't keep it around. Most of these contain some other tobacco, usually some GinnyWeed! Half & Half comes to mind; CH has some GinnyWeed also. FWIW...FTRPLT

That's good to hear about Granger. It maybe on my next order. I noticed that about those tobaccos, and even PA is supposed to be burley and Cavendish which I've read can be burley or virginia.

Looking for posts by The Artful Codger on YouTube…I found one, in which there were posts complaining that his channel & posts had been removed and they were wondering why. I stopped looking at that point.

Looking for posts by The Artful Codger on YouTube…I found one, in which there were posts complaining that his channel & posts had been removed and they were wondering why. I stopped looking at that point.
Thanks, that solves it. Sadly, I guess that would have been the only source, unless someone downloaded it.