Burleyweed pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
even' All, I'm thrilled once again on my travels down the weedular road, my enthusasium is piqued once again, I am culling out 15 or so pipes to the smoking of Burleyweed only, a la Don Vito, or whoever wrote about doing this, the journey continues, What say all of you? Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :pirat: :santa:

What are some of the blends you are planning on going through?

I just finished my first tin of Wessex Burley Slice and I really like it. I have two more tins with a year of age in the celler plus five more that I bought last month. This is the weed that made me realize that I need to set a pipe aside for straight burley and burley dominated blends. My Radice Bark Canadian is doing a fine job with the WBS, so that is my first dedicated pipe for burley.

Next on deck is Solani Aged Burley Flake. I will crack one open very soon and give it a chance in the Radice. After a few bowls I will break in my new Castello Old Antiquari Billiard that I bought at the Merced Show. If all goes well, then that will be my second pipe dedicated to burley.

I have a little group one Dunhill Cumberland pipe that has been very fussy about the weed I put in it. It tends to smoke very hot and very quickly. I recently had some success smoking the WBS in the little guy and I hope to persuade it into my third burley pipe. Time will tell.

I have three tins of 06 Montgomery that I am aging, but I don't know if that is more of a Virginia than a burley because I haven't tried it yet. I have those tins placed next to the burley catagory in my cellar and I will probably crack one after I get through the Solani.

Burley in the house! :pipe:

(I'll follow this thread for more recommendations.)

To my tastes, there is no burley blend equal to Cumberland. The by now 25 y/o Mahogany dominates the blend, but not by much, as the VAs and the Perique make an appearance in every puff.

The taste of the Mahogany is very different than any burley I've smoked.
Truly, Greg has the proportions just right.

I like to smoke burley blends in medium to large pipes. I generally reserve my smaller ones for VAs, VA/Pers, and flakes. If you're going to experiment with burley blends, I would highly recommend that you try some of those from L.J. Peretti. C&D also has several good burley blends.

Smokey

When I consider the burley blend, any burley really other than 5Bros, it is always with a larger bowl in mind for the smoker. Most CustomBilts are right for the burley, a bowl about a thumb deep which permits the burley to reveal its flavors, especially the last third, when most blends can falter. The string cuts benefit more from a smaller bowl, like a KW22 or a KW86. String cuts have lots of flavor, usaully monochromatic though, and they tend to be dull and meritless in the last of the larger pipe. Not so in the smaller pipe. My $0.02

morleysson":cx3x8czx said:
When I consider the burley blend, any burley really other than 5Bros, it is always with a larger bowl in mind for the smoker.
About all I smoke anymore is Burley based. I guess that is why I have grown fond of large pipes.