Burnout

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
GBD New Standard No. 133. Ebay find. Problems from day one. Not worth trying to save. Smoked it until the bitter end. A big bowl of G&H Brown Flake Unscented finally did it in. Stem is great. Should fit nicely in a cob.

That makes me wince...

I've never had a pipe burn out and hope I never do. Any chance you took pics of the various stages?

You could pretend you don't know anything about pipes and sell it on EBay, list it as being in "very good condition, no bite marks, just one smallish hole on the side...". I've seen quite a few listing like that. :lol!:

Wow, that´s spectacular. I´ve never seen a burnout like that before. Looks like it was a nice pipe at one point though. :affraid:

Wrap your thumb around that part of the bowl, no one will notice. And when you want a strong "hit" of that Five Brothers/1792 mix, slide your thumb off and you've got a built in carburetor!

Natch

Natch":le76z8s3 said:
Wrap your thumb around that part of the bowl, no one will notice. And when you want a strong "hit" of that Five Brothers/1792 mix, slide your thumb off and you've got a built in carburetor!

Natch
Hmm, living on the dangerous side; I like it.

ZeroContent":5w5a149a said:
can someone explain to me how a burn out of that magnitude happens?
Easy. Take one over-reamed pipe with some major fissures on an already dangerously thin chamber wall. Say screw it, it is not worth trying to save. Smoke the hell out of it. Watch an orange ember magically appear on the outside of the bowl, keep a' puffin ... et voila, une pipe brûlé!

Fascinating.

I'm curious, were the walls in the middle of the chamber reamed back more than the rim would lead us to believe, or were there chunks scraped out of it? Hard to tell from photos, but the walls don't look super thin jif judged by the rim.

Also curious as to how much effort it took to achieve burnout, i.e. do you think you could have achieved the same result with the same pipe by accident, with just normal smoking?

Frost":bimbkauq said:
Fascinating.

I'm curious, were the walls in the middle of the chamber reamed back more than the rim would lead us to believe, or were there chunks scraped out of it? Hard to tell from photos, but the walls don't look super thin jif judged by the rim.

Also curious as to how much effort it took to achieve burnout, i.e. do you think you could have achieved the same result with the same pipe by accident, with just normal smoking?
At the B&M I go to, the owner was a showing me boxes of the estate pipes that come in, some had massive burn outs like this. It seemed, they burned out in the side, leaving a divit, and the owner just really didnt care. Eventually it burns a small hole just to the other side. Aaaand pretty much once that hits it all goes into a big hole. Burnouts are usually from a flaw already inside the pipe. Like, a pit on the outside of a pipe is no problem. But move it over a millimeter or two, and you have a pipe ready for a burn out, if the pit is in a hotspot.

Frost":jj71ej61 said:
Fascinating.

Good questions.

On the first. The middle of the chamber toward the back was one big, wide divot with a good number of large fissures. The upper portion of the chamber, perhaps 1/4" formed a sort of 'lip.'

On the second, I actually smoked the pipe normally for some time and it would have gone eventually if that pace was kept up. It was just a matter of sooner rather than later in this case.

I really did not know what else to do with it. Since it was not a valuable pipe even in unsmoked condition, and since I could not in good conscience sell or trade it as it was, and since I have so many other pipes to smoke, it was really just a matter of putting it out of its misery.

Thanks for the explanation. Gotta say, that actually seems like it would be really fun in a perverse and destructive sort of way.

I for one appreciate the sacrifice. It was a good way to die.

Frost":ncp5oqh4 said:
Thanks for the explanation. Gotta say, that actually seems like it would be really fun in a perverse and destructive sort of way.

I for one appreciate the sacrifice. It was a good way to die.
Yeah, if someone made a pipe and said, "Hey, this will probably burn out" I'd smoke it, burn it out and then keep it to say, "I burned this out." Course it'd have to be a pipe I'd smoke to begin with.

Frost":gspg6mjb said:
...Gotta say, that actually seems like it would be really fun in a perverse and destructive sort of way...
Spot on. (although I hope not to find myself in the same situation again).