Butane

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas james

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I have used Dunhill butane for some time and find it fully acceptable. Bout time to reorder. Anybody have any comments? Am thinking of trying Vector. Yes? No? Maybe?

:king: tj

Sorry TJ,

I used a brand called Iroda...no problems with it, but unfamiliar with Vector...

i always use colibri premium butane it is about the only premium triple refined butane i can get localy, not sure if it matters or not but was reading this morning that colibri butane is under less pressure in the can and less likely to cause damage to seals by over pressurizing the fuel tank on the lighter, i have not idea if this is all true or not just something i read this morning. YMMV

Teej:

For about the past 4+ years, I've been using Vector-KGM Ultra Triple-Refined Premium Butane, "Cold-Filtered 5 Times". Never had any problems with it. You'll like it; it comes in straight billiard cans...never bent. :twisted:

Vito :joker:

Thanks Vitosan,

I just came across a little tidbit of info. Butane, being a petroleum product, contains a bit of "oil" in it. The purpose of triple filtering is to remove it. With lesser frefined butanes, it is this oil that clogs up "parts." I ordered some Vector triple refined. Given the price of my Old Boy, it is worth a few bucks more per bottle. A spent bottle with a hole drilled in its bottom is still a very effective "bleed" tool.

Kaboom!

Capo de tutti capi

:lol: :oops: :lol!: Someday I gatta tell you guys about me "just opening the valve to bleed it" whilst filling my Tiger with"Volcanic" butane.Scared the wife to death,burnt all the hair off my legs and arms....3' fireball and a whoosh....
Tony

Teej:

I also have used Colibri triple-refined butane, and Ronson Multi-Fill Ultra Butane, both of which work fine. The Ronson container doesn't say anything about the gas being triple-refined, and there's no information on the subject on their website. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will be comforted to know that Ronson Multifill Ultra Butane Fuel does come in the all-important and ever-so-politically-correct bilingual container, fo' yo' ayuss. That's right, boys and girls—don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to git some o' that fine bilingual gas...although you can prolly accomplish the same thing just by eating a few bean burritos. :roll:

Anyhow, the Ronson stuff works OK.

I've got a container of some stuff called Power Butane Gas—a 300 ml can of stuff that says "Made In Korea". It doesn't say anything about being triple refined. I use it exclusively to fill my cheap IMCO butane lighters, which I keep around as spares until they break. Power Butane Gas is not complete crap in the sense that it actually does burn...sort of. It sputters and gasps and wheezes and it would probably suck if it didn't blow.

Are you bored? Wanna have a hot time?

Put your lighter in your pocket. Open the valve. Wait 10 seconds and trip the ingition.

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

tj

TJ,

I had a friend in high school who did a similar thing with a zippo. He was playing with the lighter in his pocket and accidentally lit the thing. I still chuckle when I envision him running around yelling "My fire's on pocket! My fire's on pocket!"

Nick

That's not fun :( . About 30 years ago, I was in the airport in Montreal attending a chaplain's conference. I had a paper package of matches in my suit pants pocket. I fumbled around for them while carrying luggage, and somehow I ignited the paper matches. Ouch :oops: :oops: . The sulphur burnt on the paper ends. I put it out by slapping at it, but it was both embarrasing & painful.

:bounce: :roll: :bom: Paul

I've used Vector fuel for years in my Old Boy with no problems. Supposedly it is filtered five times. I like it because I can get it in a large can and the price is right.

Smokey

Slow Puffs":drdi4qwi said:
That's not fun :( . About 30 years ago, I was in the airport in Montreal attending a chaplain's conference. I had a paper package of matches in my suit pants pocket. I fumbled around for them while carrying luggage, and somehow I ignited the paper matches. Ouch :oops: :oops: . The sulphur burnt on the paper ends. I put it out by slapping at it, but it was both embarrasing & painful.

:bounce: :roll: :bom: Paul
Puffs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank goodness all of your kids were born before that happened. Coincidence?

Smokey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have a lifetime supply of Vector on the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,save the shipping cost, you know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we need a baby chicken emoticon that says "cheap."

tj

My butane order came today.

Six bottles of Vector triple filtered. They were $8.99 a bottle vs $6.99 for Dunhill. Ordered thru cup'o joes. The bottles are easily twice the size of the Dunhills. Representing a very good buy if it is in fact triple refined, which I'm sure it is. For some reason, the volume is not shown on the D'hill bottles. The Vectors are 12 fluid ozs.

Should be just fine.

tj

Slow Puffs":fc5z9lzs said:
The sulphur burnt on the paper ends. I put it out by slapping at it
I can remember once as a kid we were lighting those old style 4th of July magnesium sparklers and throwing them in the air once lit. Just as my friend threw his lit sparkler high and far across the yard towards the driveway his old man comes backin out of the garage in his old station wagon. the sparkler goes right through the window and land on his bare chest :affraid: :shock: :x The vision of that man beating his chest and wailing like tarzan is ever imprinted on my fragile psyche :!: I stayed around about one tenth of a second following the incident so I can't attest to the damage done to the father, but the son didn't fare too well :lol:

Puff Daddy":dud94i6o said:
Slow Puffs":dud94i6o said:
The sulphur burnt on the paper ends. I put it out by slapping at it
I can remember once as a kid we were lighting those old style 4th of July magnesium sparklers and throwing them in the air once lit. Just as my friend threw his lit sparkler high and far across the yard towards the driveway his old man comes backin out of the garage in his old station wagon. the sparkler goes right through the window and land on his bare chest :affraid: :shock: :x The vision of that man beating his chest and wailing like tarzan is ever imprinted on my fragile psyche :!: I stayed around about one tenth of a second following the incident so I can't attest to the damage done to the father, but the son didn't fare too well :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Teej:

I did a bit more research on the subject of "triple-refined" butane. In that context, "refining" pertains to the process used to remove impurities from feedstock butane, which is a by-product of petroleum refineries. Depending on numerous factors in the refining process, the purity of feedstock butane is variable. The less pure the feedstock butane, the more "refining" it needs to be suitable for use as lighter fuel. Typical impurities consist of water and various renegade hydrocarbons.

The term "triple-refined" implies some sort of active process such as distillation or reverse osmosis. At least, that's what I inferred from it. As it turns out, it's nothing quite so spectacular. The "refining" process consists of streaming the butane through a molecular sieve—an adsorbent filter—which captures the impurities. Molecular sieves are graded in accordance with the kind of stuff they need to remove. Each type of sieve filters for specific kinds of impurities. Hence, "triple refining" implies the use of three different types of filters to capture three different types of impurities. What that means is that the feedstock butane was pretty crummy stuff in the first place.

I asked the folks at Ronson (whose Multi-Fill Ultra Butane works as well as any other butane I've ever used) why their butane containers don't say "triple-refined". They replied that they specify their feedstock butane must already be 97% to 99.5% pure when they receive it from their supplier. They run a final purification process with molecular sieves, but they disparage "triple-refined" lingo as marketing hype. The amount of filtering necessary depends on the quality of the feedstock butane. If you start with higher-quality butane (Ronson does, they say), you don't need to filter the crap out of it.

...and blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is whether the stuff works in your lighter. Vector/KGM butane (12 oz.) is good quality fuel at a price that makes it a good value. Go with what works.

Excellent information, Vito. Thank you for your time, effort, and clear presentation.

showme

Great information Vito! I use plain old Ronson that you can get most anywhere and have never had a problem with it. Of course I have a cheap Imco G77R pipe lighter that I have been using for maybe 7-8 years now. Works like a champ! I have hinted around about an Old Boy for Christmas or Birthdays but it hasn't happened yet. Who knows, maybe this is the year. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money myself on a lighter when I could put it towards a pipe.........LOL!