butz-choquin GOURD calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtaster

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
thinking of adding one to my meer collection.
on-line they're going for ~$175-200, compared to ~$300+ for a baki gourd.
anyone here have experience with the b-c gourds. quality, durability, smokeability?
comparisons to other gourd calabashes (baki, andreas bauer or whatever) would be useful
thanks,
jrtaster/john

I don't have B-C calabash, but I am sure they are quality. I'd almost say skip it, unless there is a particular piece that is "the one," and keep a close watch on eBay. There are a few nice good condition gourds there everyday and for much less that the $175. In my humble opinion, calabashes are a lot more about materials than workmanship. The gourd is natural, and the bowls are pretty standard. There is not a lot to them, it's really the design that makes them smoke nicely, not hours of expert carving and engineering as in a meer or briar.

I have a couple "no names" that are wonderful smokers and if I remember correctly none of them were over $50.

I have one from Ehrlich's I bought in 1960! Ken :tongue:
Much Pacem Here! :tongue:

the macdonald":kfng8f1a said:
In my humble opinion, calabashes are a lot more about materials than workmanship. The gourd is natural, and the bowls are pretty standard. There is not a lot to them, it's really the design that makes them smoke nicely, not hours of expert carving and engineering as in a meer or briar.
I could not agree more!

Sellers are trying to jack up the prices by saying 'gourds are all of a sudden ultra rare'... they are grown like corn. It's total marketing BS.

PS. Unfortunately John, our discussion about gourds got the thread locked over at ATM on SF, and I got tossed out of the meer group. I was bothered at first but them I realized that it's better not to be part of a group set up for the self-serving purposes of the group leader who has doesn't believe in constitutional rights. It's nice that the people at BOB respect our freedom of opinion.

I bought a new unsmoked CAO Sherlock Holmes Centennial Gourd Calabash
covered with suede for $80 last year on E-Bay.Just keep searching E-Bay and
you will find something nice.
I think you will find that you won't smoke it that much after you get one.I've
had two and after the newness wears off they don't see that much use.

Winslow :sunny:

I think they are closing them out at marscigars.com for like 175, if I had the cash I'd order one for meself! :roll:

Gotta' go with ol' Winslow on this one. I've owned several gourd calabashes over the years. Always ended up selling it to someone who just had to have one! I have one now and, quite frankly, only smoke it a few times a year. I wouldn't invest a fortune in one. Make sure it has a block meerschaum bowl. FWIW, FTRPLT.

thanks for all the input. a couple of months later and i still haven't bit the bullet on this purchase and don't know if i ever will.
so many others things to spend my money on!
jrtaster/john

I've wanted one, and never thought I'd obtain one. But I did for 60 bucks in a local tobacco shop. African gourd, meerschaum insert the works. Just wait and a deal will come.

I just got a Butz Choquin gourd Calabash about 3 weeks ago, it is great quality and one of the best smokers I own, I really like the way they used briar for the stem ferrule instead of plastic that you see on others, only draw back for me is that the stem is long and thin so it's not really a hands free smoke but I am really enjoying mine and it is the only pipe I can smoke 100% of the tobacco in, If you don't need a hands free Calabash I would definitely recommend them. I got mine through Pipesandcigars.com for $180 with free shipping.