Butz Choquin questkon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
The Butz Cboquin I was smoking yesterday tends to smoke a little hot at times. Read some reviews on Butz pipes and a couple folks said they sanded off the laquered finish which improved them significantly. Makes sense to me as it would open up the pores of the briar. It's a beautiful pipe, near perfect straight grain, but I care more about smokability than looks. What do you guys think? Anyone here taken off the shiney finish on a pjpe? Results? Thanks for any advice.

I’d suggest that you broaden your research to brands other than BC as the syndrome and possible cure are certainly not brand specific.
Thanks, I have read reviews on other pipes as well, however, several reviewers have commented on Butz pipes sometimes smoking hot. I have anotber Butz, a blasted bent brandy, that smokes like a charm. Don't think it's as much a brand problem asit is a pipe specific issue.

I've read that some pipe restorers think that shellac/lacquered finish on any pipe tends to smoke hotter because it does not allow the briar to breath and thus makes them smoke hotter. They will strip the finish off and re stain it and wax it to their liking. The downside is that the shellac/lacquered finish helps to hide imperfections from the original manufacture so be ready to deal with some sand pits and fills.

I believe the only finished pipes I may have and smoke in that type of finish is a couple of Peterson's in the Killinary line. I personally cannot say they smoke any hotter than any of my other pipes. When a pipe starts to smoke hot, I'll slow my cadence down. If the pipe goes out, I'll relight it 5-10 minutes later and pay a little more attention.

Thanks, I have read reviews on other pipes as well, however, several reviewers have commented on Butz pipes sometimes smoking hot. I have anotber Butz, a blasted bent brandy, that smokes like a charm. Don't think it's as much a brand problem asit is a pipe specific issue.
That seems likely.

I haven't had one of these that smoked hot, but the lacquer almost never wears evenly. One of my favorite brands --which will remain nameless-- had some lacquer finished pipes at some limited period in their history. I've never found an answer why, and I've stopped asking for one. I haven't liked the way they've looked more than a smoking issue, because they've smoked on par with the non-lacquered pipes. I can definitely see the theory though. You might be able to rub it off with soap and water (back to the washing issue, but alas). The lacquer Dr.Grabow used was better than most car lacquers, but otherwise, I've noticed pipe lacquer is pretty weak stuff. You might not be forced into sanding if you're willing to try other things. If not washing, even a little Windex might rub it off.

I have an old Dr. Grabow that had that red lacquer finish. My mother in law picked it up at a yard sale probably 20 years ago and knowing her didn’t give over a quarter for it. I cleaned it up and smoked it. I remember not caring for how it smoked. So I sanded off the finish, cleaned up the rim, ran drill bit through the draft hole to open it up just a little bit, then applied some carnauba wax bees wax and buffed it. That ugly little pipe is one of my favorites. I believe getting rid of the lacquer finish helped.

Now if my butz is running a little hot, its because I've been eating hot peppers

I should add that Dr. Grabow's were (way back when, I can't speak for them now!) notorious for lacquer-finished briars. Mainly as most of their briar was pretty sad/bad/awful bottom-of-the barrel wood. And, yes, before I knew better, I owned a couple!!! FTRPLT

My first pipe was a basket from the Tinderbox that had a lacquer finish. After about the third smoke some of the finish bubbled from a cherry aromatic that I overheated the pipe with. God only knows how I made it past all those blends they offer and onto way better ones available from online vendors. I only bought the bulk back then because I did not know what the tinned tobacco was about at the time. I still go by there once a month and they usually have something in a tin that I can buy.

Last edited:
I had a black lacquered Savinelli years and years ago. I don't remember it smoking particularly hot, but it sure smoked wet.

Last edited: