Buy ink cartridges from Europe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I recently found a stash of unobtanium (Lamy Ltd Ed Dark Lilac) at a vendor in Canada, one in the Netherlands and one in the U.K. For whatever reason the prices on Lamy ink cartridges is WAY cheaper over there and you can save (depending on how many you order) a LOT. The cheapest I've seen Lamy cartridges in the USA is via JetPens dot com when your order is over $25 and you get free shipping...they end up being the straight $4.50. Appleboom, in the Netherlands, sells them for as little as $1.80 (if you order ten) and ships cheap via international envelope if it's just the cartridges.

I haven't yet taken the time to see the difference in the cost of Diamine, and other brands.

Yes...I know that per volume buying bottled ink is way cheaper. I got the Lamy Dark Lilac in cartridges only cause it's no longer made and available only at truly horrible prices.

Plus...I like to carry an extra "just in case" cartridge along if I'm out and about...and carry cartridges only when I'm traveling. Just me.

Be aware though, cartridges don't last really long term. The plastic is said to be permeable over time and will lose the liquid portion of the contents, concentrating the contents and reducing flow properties. How long do they last? Don't know.

"Be aware though, cartridges don't last really long term. The plastic is said to be permeable over time and will lose the liquid portion of the contents, concentrating the contents and reducing flow properties. How long do they last? Don't know"

That's why I don't use cartridges. Glass bottles don't do that !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Besides, since most of my pens are European piston fillers I don't have to use 'em !! :twisted: :twisted:

Pro Cartridge Points:

1. We're talking years here. It's not like they dry up in a couple of months.
2. The ink I'm referring to is only available in cartridges unless you go to a pen show and pay maybe a hundred bucks a bottle. It's the 2016 Ltd. Ed. color...no longer made. The Lamy Dark Lilac was extremely popular and sold out fast.
3. I use cartridges as a convenience not as a habit. Especially for travel. I don't like carrying glass bottles of ink in a carry on these days.
4. I like the fact that one can switch cartridges between pens if desired to do a fast color change or put bullet proof ink into a pen if desired. This presto change-o thing is also useful when sketching as a way to change nibs...without having to, um, change nibs.

And, while all of the above are true, I too prefer a really nice glass bottle. Love the Pilot Iroshizuku bottles!