Buyer's Remorse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
As do many, I have too many pipes. I define "too many" by looking at the number that I haven't smoked in years or are still new, unsmoked. As I wrote in a prior thread, one of my daughters had a mini-cash crunch a couple of years ago. She taught physical education for many years at a local charter school that abruptly decided to replace physical education with recess and replace an M.A.+ level teacher with a paraprofessional. I gave her several Dunhill, Ashton, Don Carlos, Castello, etc. pipes to sell on Ebay. They sold quickly and, in all honesty, I don't miss them. I hadn't really smoked those pipes very often and my daughter would not have accepted a cash gift. I told her that I preferred that she sell them now, rather than when they were in an estate sale.

It really has given me "pause" since then, as I've purchased a few additional pipes that are sitting unsmoked. I am asking myself, why I bought a pipe(s) that I very likely will never even take out of the box in which it arrived.

This epiphany came to the fore last night as I moved some tobacco jars and tins around. I opened a couple of pipe boxes to discover that I'd purchased the same pipe twice and had smoked neither of them. Fortunately, none of the unsmoked could be deemed high grade, so there's no real investment. I am scratching my head, wondering when and why I bought them.

Delayed buyer's remorse has raised its ugly head.

I find that if I spend too much time looking at pipes on ebay or online vendors, I end up buying a pipe. That tendency is getting less, but it is still there. I've been trying to limit my pipe buys to POY's and a few special pipes like the Matches 860 Tribute pipe - I liked the shape, so it was a win. But, I don't need any more pipes!

I find that if I spend too much time looking at pipes on ebay or online vendors, I end up buying a pipe. That tendency is getting less, but it is still there. I've been trying to limit my pipe buys to POY's and a few special pipes like the Matches 860 Tribute pipe - I liked the shape, so it was a win. But, I don't need any more pipes!
At one time I had over 300 pipes and not for one minute thought I had to many. I still have a little over a 100 and wish I had the others back and then some.
And I'm sorry to hear your not wanting anymore pipes, thought you like the one you purchased from me.
Oh! BTW those 200 and some pipes I sold on eBay so I could move back to Texas and finance another shop and new Lathe, I made around $16,000 off them and weren't it for them and the grace of God I wouldn't be making pipes anymore or back in Texas. So you see, I look at them as always an investment/savings account so to speak.

At one time I had over 300 pipes and not for one minute thought I had to many. I still have a little over a 100 and wish I had the others back and then some.
And I'm sorry to hear your not wanting anymore pipes, thought you like the one you purchased from me.
Oh! BTW those 200 and some pipes I sold on eBay so I could move back to Texas and finance another shop and new Lathe, I made around $16,000 off them and weren't it for them and the grace of God I wouldn't be making pipes anymore or back in Texas. So you see, I look at them as always an investment/savings account so to speak.
Oh, I do like the one I bought from you, it is a wonderful smoker. One of those I looked at and had to have! It's not that I don't want any more pipes, I just don't need more. That doesn't mean I won't buy more. I think what has happened is that my exploratory phase, finding what size, shapes I prefer is at an end. I know what I like and so my purchases will be more discerning and directed.

I agree with kxg. After trying different shapes and materials over the decades I'm now to a point where my likes and dislikes are pretty evident. For years I was attracted to the Dublin shape but now realize that I don't care for how they feel in the hand - I much prefer rounded Brandy, Egg, or Apple shapes, or even a classic Billiard. Most of my Dublins are good smokers - Armellini, Mastro di Paja, Peterson - just don't appeal to me anymore. :confused:

I opened a couple of pipe boxes to discover that I'd purchased the same pipe twice
Do tell.🤣

20200510_091214.jpg

RE: Orb Weaver. I guess my own OCD tendencies must be very, very minor. You sir, take top honors! ;)

I don't have as many pipes as many others do..I gave many of my older Comoys to a good friend and several BSP pipes to another. But the pipes that Ron of RdPipes made...those I will never get rid of under any circumstance.
They are the best smokers that I have including those 1960 Comoys back before they were merged with another mfg. Ron's pipes are absolutely gorgeous to my eye and as I said before...I'll never get rid of those pipes...to me they are heirlooms.

I had well over a hundred pipes at one time; over the past few years I've sold off quite a few and I can't say I miss any of the ones that have gone. I counted this morning and currently have 66; of those, I smoke maybe 20, but the others stay because of provenance or nostalgia, or simply because they're not worth enough to bother selling them. And once in a while one of them will get pulled from the rack for old times sake. Every time I say I've bought my last pipe one comes along I simply can't resist. I will say I've never bought the same pipe twice, nor have I bought any that stayed in the box unsmoked :) !

I have to admit to a rotation of 8 almost identical cobs among my briars and meers, but with alternate straight and bent stems! The few unsmoked pipes I have (cobs again) are for interested new pipers.