Buying Estate Pipes Online

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWHutchins

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Now that I am getting back into the briar after a long hiatus, I am anxious to start growing my collection. I started looking at estate pipes online on sites like Ebay. I often see pipes that I may be interested in but I am a little hesitant to purchase them through online auction sites. I am wondering what experience others have had positive or negative as far as purchasing online or estate vs. new. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
Hutch

BWHutchins":py9blz14 said:
RR,
Thank you very much. I already see a Kaywoodie that has caught my eye.

Hutch
Yup, that has some great lines, and you can't beat the price!

Unless you know the seller on e-prey I'd stay away fro m there as far as buying pipes. many brick & morter stores have websites such as Perretti's up in Boston which sell second hand used pipes as well as new ones. http://www.ljperetti.com/estate-pipes :twisted:

Moonbla256
Thank you for the tip. The store is a little more than an hours drive for me. I see a road trip in the near future.
Regards,
Hutch

Also, a few of our members here sell some in our trading post, which you may be able to access before too long. A good number of these are refurbished by the member first, which is nice.

Thank you,
I would really rather buy from Brothers. I will definitely give this a try.

regards,
Hutch

She does put a lot of work into cleaning them up for sale. So does riff raff, for that matter.

I check Blue Room Briars just about every day for great estate finds... they have a wide assortment of great looking pipes! And even though I've yet to buy one from Kaitlyn or Riff Raff, they always do great work and IMO their prices are Great! Good suggestions in this thread!

Old Nate":7ylomt2j said:
I check Blue Room Briars just about every day for great estate finds... they have a wide assortment of great looking pipes! And even though I've yet to buy one from Kaitlyn or Riff Raff, they always do great work and IMO their prices are Great! Good suggestions in this thread!
thanks for that. I never saw that site before. I already have 3 pipes in my cart. :lol:

And smokingpipes.com also has a great assortment of estates.

Also, bro Mattia from VikingClubPipes.com has been a great resource in he past, but when I checked his site recently he only had a few on offer. Wonder if he's getting out of the biz?

Cheers,

RR

I know this thread is about estates but seeing how some estate pipes can be just as expensive or more expensive than new pipes, don't discount some of the members here that make pipes. Todd Harris, Cartiphilus(Ron), Charl Goussard just to name a few. On average they're going to be a little more expensive than an estate but not much and I think you really can't beat the craftsmanship they put into their work. I have a Todd Harris and it has a remarkable open draw. Plus you'd be helping out one of our own.

Just my thoughts.

Old Nate":fpaom0ly said:
I know this thread is about estates but seeing how some estate pipes can be just as expensive or more expensive than new pipes, don't discount some of the members here that make pipes. Todd Harris, Cartiphilus(Ron), Charl Goussard just to name a few. On average they're going to be a little more expensive than an estate but not much and I think you really can't beat the craftsmanship they put into their work. I have a Todd Harris and it has a remarkable open draw. Plus you'd be helping out one of our own.

Just my thoughts.
Yes, this. Great suggestions Nate.

Cheers,

RR

Thank you everyone for all the tips. This has been really helpful. Now the only question is what pipe(s) do I buy first :D

Hutch

Well, I should be receiving a Kaywoodie relief grain 44 in a couple of days. I took a chance on ebay. It looked like it was in good shape. With shipping it came to 16 dollars and change. So we will see. I thought for that price it was worth taking a shot.

Regards,
Hutch