C&D Bijou WARNING!!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
A81xdTW.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 400px
If you have any C&D Bijou in your cellar check for extremely swollen tins. ALL of my Bijou with dates from 4/16, 5/16 and 7/16 had the beginning stages of mold. In the top picture you will see the mold slightly. I then decided to check the center in a tobacco tray for more mold. Well, as you can see in the second picture there is much more mold in the center. My opinion: this blend was tinned while still warm from the pressing. The tobacco's in all of my tins were extremely moist. A few days ago I received 2 replacement tins dated 1/19/17 and just had a bowl full and this blend is very enjoyable, but needs some aging. NO MOLD IN EITHER TIN. I decided to jar the 2 tins recently sent for aging. Now I sent pictures to C&D of my recent find today and I'm sure I will get fresh replacements. My suggestion is to open and inspect any Bijou from 2016 as I did. If yours is fine, simply use small Mason jars and this way you will have a clear head. My 2 tins from 7/16 were NOT swollen yet their was mold present. Better to be safe than sorry Years from now. Good luck and post your findings. 
vSIjgt2.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 400px

Can not edit on my iPad.....it's the top picture that shows the mold that was in the center of the tin. It's NOT plume, it smells of mold/mildew. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks for the Heads up, LC.
Alas, this recurring problem had me deciding not to buy anything anymore from them.

Sorry to hear that LC. Definitely not a good thing. Guess you never know what's in a container you can't see through. Not that it would stop mold from growing, but it would be apparent sooner than later. Sad to hang onto some blend for a decade or so and then open up a tin of disappointment. One wonders what might be going on out there....

Fair warning, and thanks for posting Ted. Fortunately I don't have any C&D Bijou.

C&D seems to be singled out in recent memory for mold issues. Can't remember any other blender with QC problems such as these - starting with the Carolina Red Flake which I got in several tins and returned them in due course. And the one I opened had none of these issues, but decided to play it safe anyway.

For my part, I have yet to have mold issues on any C&D tin!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

OW, I'm smoking a pipe into my 48th year and only in the past 2 years have I come across serious mold issues. In no particular order: SG FVF, C&D and GLP. ALL are pressed and most likely steamed, my opinion is they are tinned while still warm and extremely moist. Hate to say it but it seems to be " a rush to market issue "! All about the money. Last month I opened a tin of Granger over 35 years old, no mold and it's Granger at its best. 

PS
TO BE FAIR WITH C&D, BIJOU IS THE ONLY BLEND OF THEIRS IVE HAD MOLD ISSUES. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":wz9ybqgl said:
OW, I'm smoking a pipe into my 48th year and only in the past 2 years have I come across serious mold issues. In no particular order: SG FVF, C&D and GLP. ALL are pressed and most likely steamed, my opinion is they are tinned while still warm and extremely moist. Hate to say it but it seems to be " a rush to market issue "! All about the money. Last month I opened a tin of Granger over 35 years old, no mold and it's Granger at its best. 

PS
TO BE FAIR WITH C&D, BIJOU IS THE ONLY BLEND OF THEIRS IVE HAD MOLD ISSUES. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
This seems to be the likely culprit Ted. Thanks for your observations.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the info Ted. My tins of Bijou were also from the 4/16 run. Perhaps I should take a look at the contents. The last C&D blend I bought was Sansepolcro, which has smoked great. I gotta say though, this mold business is concerning especially considering how much 2015-2016 GLP stuff I have put away. There's video up on YouTube showing another piper with molded Bijou, I wonder if the same Virginia in Carolina Red was used in it along with the same ineffective anti-fungal?

It's a good thing that 99% of C&D's stuff I've ever tried was garbage to me, even some of their ones people swear by. To each his/her own.

C&D BIJOU UPDATE:

I've been in touch with a rep. From C&D and was told that the antifungal agent used was reformulated 9/16 and NO mold issues since. Same with GLP Temple Bar. I still suggest opening ALL of your Bijou tins prior to 9/16 to be on the safe side. My replacement tins are on the way and Jeremy from C&D handled my mold issues extremely fast and I'm very satisfied, with both C&D and Smokingpipes. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":i7e1o665 said:
C&D BIJOU UPDATE:

I've been in touch with a rep. From C&D and was told that the antifungal agent used was reformulated 9/16 and NO mold issues since. Same with GLP Temple Bar. I still suggest opening ALL of your Bijou tins prior to 9/16 to be on the safe side. My replacement tins are on the way and Jeremy from C&D handled my mold issues extremely fast and I'm very satisfied, with both C&D and Smokingpipes. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
:cheers: