C&D Engine 99

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pencils

Reaction score
Greetings gents :rendeer:

First post here and greetings of the season to each and every one of you!

Hope you don't mind a question as soon as I have arrived and removed my coat but I could do with a word of advice from you fine gentlemen.

Have just bought 16oz of C&D Engine 99 in the hope that it would be an occasional & economical alternative to Westminster (apologies to Mr Pease - your blends, are of course, the Holy Grail), and although I like it well enough it doesn't quite hit the spot yet.

Wondering whether I should attempt to 'beef it up' somehow. I think that the problem is that I have been spoiled on latakia-heavy blends such as C&D's Star of the East and Pirate Kake, and of course Odyssey, Abingdon, Cumberland, et al.

Any thoughts?

Have already separated it into three separate mason jars and am considering adding some additional latakia to the first, some perique to the second, and maybe just putting some age on the third to see how it pans out.

Other suggestions gladly welcomed. Anyone else enjoy this blend or had similar experience with it?

I smoked a tin over the summer. Well, most of it. It's supposed to be similar in type to Balkan Sobranie 759. But for me, it's lacking in orientals. But it might be like BS 759, as I have never had it. What it does have is a lot of smoky flavor. A lot like Pirate Kake in that regard. Perhaps some more age will bring out some depth.

I would call it a good English. Not a Balkan. Medium to Med-strong in the nicotine department. Probably needs the right shape and size bowl to get the best out of it.

If you add anything, do it in a small amount, in a small jar, and see what happens. You can always then scale that to your larger stash if necessary.

I would just add hat I am currently smoking Engine 99. I had no expectations prior but am pleased that it is, IMHO, a nice flavourable blend with a latakia presence that is just right for me.

Like everything else, try it out in various ways.

16oz is a lot of tobacco to try out for one blend :D ... I'd go with Carlos suggestions and just add, that as you are putting it in jars, age may enhance something in the blend as an alternative to playing with it, as Carlos says.

Good luck.
Paul

Slow Puffs":rmxrai74 said:
16oz is a lot of tobacco to try out for one blend :D
Paul
Ordering into the UK means that getting a shedload all at once is usually better than dribs and drabs, and of course, tobaccoreviews.com is always a reliable guide, right? :shock:

Not entirely unhappy with it, just wanting a little more from it.

Keep the suggestions coming gents :santa:

I would agree with Carlos, it is a good medium strength English blend. I would say that if you were looking into trying a English/Oriental blend this might be a good start. I like it because it is a nice English "bulk" blend. I usually keep about 8 ounces in the cellar.

pencils":f67jxoi5 said:
Slow Puffs":f67jxoi5 said:
16oz is a lot of tobacco to try out for one blend :D
Paul
Ordering into the UK means that getting a shedload all at once is usually better than dribs and drabs, and of course, tobaccoreviews.com is always a reliable guide, right? :shock:

Not entirely unhappy with it, just wanting a little more from it.

Keep the suggestions coming gents :santa:
LoL... I know what you mean... I bring it in to Canada. BTW, my Eng 99 has been aging for a about 6 months or so.

-Paul

You can always buy bulk latakia, C&D Da Vinci (their strongest latakia blend), Lancer's Slices from MarsCigar.com (a strong latakia-virgina flake) to blend with the 99.

Never really tried my hand at adding/mixing extra latakia, so I might just try it 2oz at a time using old Westminster tins - that way I can pretend that it is simply a new Peasian blend :idea:

Any suggestions how much and how long before it will all mulch together sufficiently to smoke?

CP":4xd261sr said:
I would gauge the time by the moisture of the total mixture.
I'm always a bit at sea with C&D moisture levels, so I guess it is a matter of just having a stab when it smells right :roll:

Might just leave it a few months after adding some extra latakia - I guess maybe an extra 10% or so - and try it then...

Thanks to those who contributed suggestions. Decided to go with addition of 20% latakia and leave it age for three to six months. Hopefully it will have a little more presence by then.

Will keep you posted on the results.